Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Quebec Insurance for CPAP machine and supplies
Quebec Insurance for CPAP machine and supplies
Does anyone here know the current status of what the Quebec government insurance covers related to cpap supplies and equipment and what agency to go through to obtain these items if covered? TIA.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Quebec Insurance for CPAP machine and supplies
As far as I recall, the Quebec provincial health insurance covers medically required services, but not devices.
We have several active members from Quebec, I'm sure they will correct me or expand on this answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to pay for all my equipment out of pocket because we still don't pay enough taxes here, apparently. Hammer
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. No wonder there are so many bad drivers in Quebec. They’re all asleep at the wheel from untreated OSA.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
At least they don't speed up and aim for the jaywalkers, like they do in Toronto!
Post Reply Post Reply
They do in Montreal. It’s a dangerous place for peds as well.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply
Govt paid nothing.

Unable to see family dr anyway, went to private clinic to get sleep study.
Unable to see sleep doc in the public, 2 years wait.
See sleep doc in the private.
Unable to get sleep study done in public, go to montreal to have it done private.
And, govt doesnt pay cpap or anything.

So basically, govt doesn't pay anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-01-2017, 10:28 PM)Kryogen Wrote: Govt paid nothing.

Unable to see family dr anyway, went to private clinic to get sleep study.
Unable to see sleep doc in the public, 2 years wait.
See sleep doc in the private.
Unable to get sleep study done in public, go to montreal to have it done private.
And, govt doesnt pay cpap or anything.

So basically, govt doesn't pay anything.

Yikes!  This is a major oversight by Quebec.  They must be thinking about getting rid of people rather than extending their lives.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply
Tought I'd post my personal experience with the Quebec public system here.

Got a prescription from my family doctor (GP) in June, got a first sleep study done through Sacré-Coeur Hospital (public) that determined I suffered from sleep apnea in October, then got a vcall from the hospital's OSA pneumologist in December prescribing a titration test to determine required pressure level for treatment.  The hospital has an agreement with a private clinic (Biron) for outsourcing of these tests, which consites in 3 nights with a Resmed Airsense Auto machine.  This was last weekend, the hospital emailed my prescription earlier today.  All in all, around seven months from intitial GP prescription to get my prescription for a 11 cmH2O CPAP.  Out of pocket is zero at this point, thankfully my coverage through work will pay for the machine.

Cheers,

Seb
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the post Seb and welcome to the Board. Thank goodness your work will cover the machine. It appears many in Quebec get no help in purchasing equipment and supplies by the province.

This forum is a great place to get up to speed on machines, supplies, terms, manuals, and everything related to your treatment. Read up and as you venture forth on your CPAP journey come back here with any questions about your therapy. You will find many helpful and knowledgeable people here.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 6 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 100 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,443 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 221 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 345 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,251 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.