MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet - currently "set" on CPAP mode
Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit F10 and P10 - varies
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: New Sleep Doc + New DME = Trying new approach to PAP therapy.

Sex: Female

Ohmy [Equipment] Question about VisionAire V Oxygenator
Does anyone know how often an oxygenator needs to be serviced? When I got my CPAP in October 2012, I was also given an oxygenator (VisionAire V). There are 2293.2 hours (?) on it now. My DME said, "It never needs servicing". Is he correct?

Maybe so. My pulse oximeter readings are above 88% every night. THANKS
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2013 12:12 AM by MAPnea.)
09-06-2013 12:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
bwexler Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS 1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced, with Heated Tube humidifier
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver √Član
Humidifier: Resperonics Heated Tube humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Max pressure 25.0 cm H20, Max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: CMS 50i with Software for SpO2

Sex: Male

RE: [Equipment] Question about VisionAire V Oxygenator
I am not familiar with that brand, don't even know what brand mine is.
At minimum it will need the filter replaced periodically and the tubing. If you have a humidifier that to may need cleaning or replacing.
If you are taking about an oxygen concentrator it has a motor and some mechanical parts. That suggests occasional repair or maintenance.
Sounds like you have a lazy provider.
09-06-2013 05:31 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

No clue! Try calling another DME or two. If you get the same answer, there ya go! DMEs love to charge for adjustments and the like. If they say no, then probably it doesn't.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
09-06-2013 05:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Thank you bwexler for your suggestions. I did replace the tubing recently and I clean the humidifer once a week. I'm not very mechanical but, of course - it sounds like a lawn mower and I should have someone at least take a look at the motor. Yes, my "oxygenator" is an "oxygen concentrator" - I just didn't know what to call it.

I just love your solution, Paula02, and I plan to start calling a few other DMEs on Monday to see if any of them offer up a maintenance plan.
09-07-2013 11:15 PM
Aletta Offline

Members

Machine: VPAPauto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quatro
Humidifier: 5Hi
CPAP Pressure: 6-20
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(09-07-2013 11:15 PM)MAPnea Wrote:  Thank you bwexler for your suggestions. I did replace the tubing recently and I clean the humidifer once a week. I'm not very mechanical but, of course - it sounds like a lawn mower and I should have someone at least take a look at the motor. Yes, my "oxygenator" is an "oxygen concentrator" - I just didn't know what to call it.

I just love your solution, Paula02, and I plan to start calling a few other DMEs on Monday to see if any of them offer up a maintenance plan.

I am also using a VisionAir5 oxygen concentrator. It was new when I got it and was loud from the beginning. I was also very concerned about cleaning the unit. The way this functions (as I was told by the manufacturer) is that it contains 2 canisters filled with a product to which the oxygen clings to. When one canister becomes saturated it switches to the other canister and the oxygen is blown into your tube. There is supposed to be a micron filter just before the oxygen comes into your tube which "never needs to be replaced" (per manufacturer). The air gets blown back into your room after going through the canisters. What concerns me most is that the technician I spoke to (at manufacturer) thought that the output pressure is not high enough to work with my IPAP pressure but DME says it is. I change the tubes every 4 months - DME says every 6 months or when fuzzy looking.
09-08-2013 06:47 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
MAPnea Offline

Advisory Members

Hi, Aletta,
What great news - and I'm so glad to find someone who also uses this type of machine. Are the "tubes" you change every 4 months the oxygen tubes? I finally changed mine after 9 months thinking it HAD to be something I needed to change because I couldn't "wash it out". I don't know anything about the output pressure except my DME "upped" the setting to 2.5 (from the prescribed 2.0) because I planned to use a 25' oxygen tube. I cannot stand to sleep in the same room with that "lawn mower" running all night long.

I wonder if someone else might know more about the output pressure working with the IPAP or CPAP or APAP pressure. Maybe someone will respond.

Thank you again for replying to my post.
09-08-2013 09:30 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

Sex: Male

(09-08-2013 06:47 PM)Aletta Wrote:  What concerns me most is that the technician I spoke to (at manufacturer) thought that the output pressure is not high enough to work with my IPAP pressure but DME says it is.

Hi Aletta, welcome to the forum!

If I were concerned I would call up VisionAir customer service to ask a tech how much pressure (in units of psi, pounds per square inch) the Visionair5 can accommodate. Unless it is less than 0.3 psi, I would not be concerned.

I think it is likely the technician you spoke with did not understand that your CPAP pressure is measured in units of cm H2O, not psi, and the VisionAir5 can likely accommodate pressures many times as high as your CPAP machine can produce.

70 cm H2O (which would be three and a half times higher than your max pressure of 20) is equivalent to only 1 psi of pressure.

The main problem with O2 concentrators is they are so loud users want to put them 100 feet away in a separate room which has plenty of ventilation to allow lots of fresh air for the O2 concentrator, and the excessively long O2 tubing creates too much back pressure. For example, 50 ft might be an upper limit on how long the tubing should be. VisionAir should be able to tell you this.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
09-08-2013 10:04 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [News] ASAA received large supply of donated equipment big_dave 0 114 11-28-2016 11:34 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  How to disinfect used equipment Lanco 21 694 11-18-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Spy Car
  [Equipment] New vs. Used Equipment T.Hud 10 514 10-15-2016 02:20 PM
Last Post: T.Hud
  New CPAP patient equipment expectations Grayhair 7 391 09-08-2016 07:10 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  CPAP Buy out from equipment supplier help khafer 11 559 09-03-2016 01:38 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Best place to buy equipment nzbnate 4 374 07-15-2016 12:02 PM
Last Post: nzbnate
Question Cleaning CPAP Equipment genieangel 18 1,840 07-11-2016 07:39 AM