Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Question about VisionAire V Oxygenator
Ohmy 
[Equipment] Question about VisionAire V Oxygenator
Does anyone know how often an oxygenator needs to be serviced? When I got my CPAP in October 2012, I was also given an oxygenator (VisionAire V). There are 2293.2 hours (?) on it now. My DME said, "It never needs servicing". Is he correct?

Maybe so. My pulse oximeter readings are above 88% every night. THANKS
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: [Equipment] Question about VisionAire V Oxygenator
I am not familiar with that brand, don't even know what brand mine is.
At minimum it will need the filter replaced periodically and the tubing. If you have a humidifier that to may need cleaning or replacing.
If you are taking about an oxygen concentrator it has a motor and some mechanical parts. That suggests occasional repair or maintenance.
Sounds like you have a lazy provider.
Post Reply Post Reply
No clue! Try calling another DME or two. If you get the same answer, there ya go! DMEs love to charge for adjustments and the like. If they say no, then probably it doesn't.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you bwexler for your suggestions. I did replace the tubing recently and I clean the humidifer once a week. I'm not very mechanical but, of course - it sounds like a lawn mower and I should have someone at least take a look at the motor. Yes, my "oxygenator" is an "oxygen concentrator" - I just didn't know what to call it.

I just love your solution, Paula02, and I plan to start calling a few other DMEs on Monday to see if any of them offer up a maintenance plan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2013, 11:15 PM)MAPnea Wrote: Thank you bwexler for your suggestions. I did replace the tubing recently and I clean the humidifer once a week. I'm not very mechanical but, of course - it sounds like a lawn mower and I should have someone at least take a look at the motor. Yes, my "oxygenator" is an "oxygen concentrator" - I just didn't know what to call it.

I just love your solution, Paula02, and I plan to start calling a few other DMEs on Monday to see if any of them offer up a maintenance plan.

I am also using a VisionAir5 oxygen concentrator. It was new when I got it and was loud from the beginning. I was also very concerned about cleaning the unit. The way this functions (as I was told by the manufacturer) is that it contains 2 canisters filled with a product to which the oxygen clings to. When one canister becomes saturated it switches to the other canister and the oxygen is blown into your tube. There is supposed to be a micron filter just before the oxygen comes into your tube which "never needs to be replaced" (per manufacturer). The air gets blown back into your room after going through the canisters. What concerns me most is that the technician I spoke to (at manufacturer) thought that the output pressure is not high enough to work with my IPAP pressure but DME says it is. I change the tubes every 4 months - DME says every 6 months or when fuzzy looking.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Aletta,
What great news - and I'm so glad to find someone who also uses this type of machine. Are the "tubes" you change every 4 months the oxygen tubes? I finally changed mine after 9 months thinking it HAD to be something I needed to change because I couldn't "wash it out". I don't know anything about the output pressure except my DME "upped" the setting to 2.5 (from the prescribed 2.0) because I planned to use a 25' oxygen tube. I cannot stand to sleep in the same room with that "lawn mower" running all night long.

I wonder if someone else might know more about the output pressure working with the IPAP or CPAP or APAP pressure. Maybe someone will respond.

Thank you again for replying to my post.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2013, 06:47 PM)Aletta Wrote: What concerns me most is that the technician I spoke to (at manufacturer) thought that the output pressure is not high enough to work with my IPAP pressure but DME says it is.

Hi Aletta, welcome to the forum!

If I were concerned I would call up VisionAir customer service to ask a tech how much pressure (in units of psi, pounds per square inch) the Visionair5 can accommodate. Unless it is less than 0.3 psi, I would not be concerned.

I think it is likely the technician you spoke with did not understand that your CPAP pressure is measured in units of cm H2O, not psi, and the VisionAir5 can likely accommodate pressures many times as high as your CPAP machine can produce.

70 cm H2O (which would be three and a half times higher than your max pressure of 20) is equivalent to only 1 psi of pressure.

The main problem with O2 concentrators is they are so loud users want to put them 100 feet away in a separate room which has plenty of ventilation to allow lots of fresh air for the O2 concentrator, and the excessively long O2 tubing creates too much back pressure. For example, 50 ft might be an upper limit on how long the tubing should be. VisionAir should be able to tell you this.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 375 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 551 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 601 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 333 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  What to do with "old" equipment? Paul Van Benschoten 10 939 06-30-2023, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What's the quickest easiest way to clean your CPAP equipment? WWu777 24 3,734 03-06-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: nelamvr6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.