Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX Bella Loops
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17 Mostly stays under 13
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hubby is also a hosehead using Respironics RemStar Pro w/C-flex

Sex: Female

RE: Questions for users of ResMed S9 and Swift FX Bella Loops
It is pretty galling when you think of it. They attached a modem to mine - either the physician or the DME can download data at any time. Well, in a way it is comforting to think that might help me by enabling early intervention in case of a continuing problem, on the other hand, pretty invasive if compliance is the biggest concern.

Of course, it is true not many people overall remain compliant for long. I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere I read that many CPAP users give it up after one year. However, of the three I personally know, they have stuck with it for years.

To sleep; perchance to dream...
[Image: resmedforher.gif]
[Image: Sleepwellpink1_zps36e39dba.gif]
11-10-2012 12:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

I think the main problem with folks not using it is the lack of education. "Here's your machine. Here's your mask. See me if there's a problem." No hope, no explanation.

If we start a new medication, we get told how to take it, how to look for adverse reactions, and how they will tell if the medication is working or if it is not.

With CPAP, we do not have access to vital information - how the treatment is working. There's no goals. No anything other than "Are you staying awake during the day?"

I don't mind taking a pill for the rest of my life because there are measurable, precise ways to tell how it is working. Thyroid test, blood pressure test, glucose test, etc.

Until they start making machines that are data capable and educating users on how to read that data, people will continue to put the machine in the closet and never use it again.

Anyway, it is 2am. Time to go strap my face to a dumb machine and hope I wake up in the morning.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-10-2012 02:06 AM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

One more thing: if mine had a modem, I'd take it off or otherwise disable it. If I could not take it off, I'd take it back. Yes, I am paranoid and believe in conspiracy theories. There's no guarantee of who has access to my health information. If the information is of no value, then they don't need it either.

Seriously, going to bed now.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-10-2012 02:08 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

the modem is to keep check on compliance and once the period is over .. they,ll ask to send the modem back

imo its all about the mask ... mask is the most important
its essential to find a comfortable mask that does not leak and keep all night long
most dropouts because of mask issues
11-10-2012 03:18 AM
renatae Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX Bella Loops
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 12-17 Mostly stays under 13
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Hubby is also a hosehead using Respironics RemStar Pro w/C-flex

Sex: Female

The tech told me the modem would enable both the DME and the physician to download stats at any time, and it seemed to me she stated it was not just regarding compliance, but how effective the therapy is. My machine is fully data capable. One way or another, they are going to get my usage data, either through the SD card and/or via the modem, and if the machine is to be paid for, I have to comply with that. I think she said the modem was temporary. If not, after the 13 months, it's coming off one way or another if I'm not getting feedback from my doctor saying she is using the data to make sure my therapy is effective.

I understand your feelings about surveillance; I'm the same. In this case for me, it's a two edged sword. I always laugh when I see that commercial from Progressive about the people who are "delighted" with their new spyware gadget. That would be the day.

I agree, zonk. The only reason I have hope that I will not become a dropout is that my mask issues so far have been minor, and not nearly as bad as I had feared. In addition, my dad died of sleep apnea - not sure which type, as he had just been diagnosed but not yet begun treatment. My husband has it, my brother has it, and now me. i was pretty bummed about the diagnosis, but I have had sleep issues which leave me dragged out ever since I was 14. The idea of restful and restorative sleep instead of the increasing fatigue and weakness I've been dealing with is a plus.

To sleep; perchance to dream...
[Image: resmedforher.gif]
[Image: Sleepwellpink1_zps36e39dba.gif]
11-10-2012 08:43 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Anyone having success using Swift FX Nano? Newbee2016 2 170 12-03-2016 07:07 PM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 220 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  swift mask 'leak' noise--but not leaking... hegel 11 769 11-27-2016 09:53 PM
Last Post: Dangerous Dave
  Problem with Resmed Swift FX mask/hose leaking Dangerous Dave 1 245 10-13-2016 10:26 PM
Last Post: KSMatthew
  [CPAP] can pacemaker users use CPAP machine wt92555 10 545 10-02-2016 07:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Video Swift FX or Resmed AirFit P10 Judy1843 46 6,387 10-02-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Adoniscmj
  ? for 960 ASV users bons 2 200 09-14-2016 02:12 PM
Last Post: bons