Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Questions for users of ResMed S9 and Swift FX Bella Loops
RE: Questions for users of ResMed S9 and Swift FX Bella Loops
It is pretty galling when you think of it. They attached a modem to mine - either the physician or the DME can download data at any time. Well, in a way it is comforting to think that might help me by enabling early intervention in case of a continuing problem, on the other hand, pretty invasive if compliance is the biggest concern.

Of course, it is true not many people overall remain compliant for long. I can't remember where I read it, but somewhere I read that many CPAP users give it up after one year. However, of the three I personally know, they have stuck with it for years.
To sleep; perchance to dream...
[Image: resmedforher.gif]
[Image: Sleepwellpink1_zps36e39dba.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the main problem with folks not using it is the lack of education. "Here's your machine. Here's your mask. See me if there's a problem." No hope, no explanation.

If we start a new medication, we get told how to take it, how to look for adverse reactions, and how they will tell if the medication is working or if it is not.

With CPAP, we do not have access to vital information - how the treatment is working. There's no goals. No anything other than "Are you staying awake during the day?"

I don't mind taking a pill for the rest of my life because there are measurable, precise ways to tell how it is working. Thyroid test, blood pressure test, glucose test, etc.

Until they start making machines that are data capable and educating users on how to read that data, people will continue to put the machine in the closet and never use it again.

Anyway, it is 2am. Time to go strap my face to a dumb machine and hope I wake up in the morning.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
One more thing: if mine had a modem, I'd take it off or otherwise disable it. If I could not take it off, I'd take it back. Yes, I am paranoid and believe in conspiracy theories. There's no guarantee of who has access to my health information. If the information is of no value, then they don't need it either.

Seriously, going to bed now.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
the modem is to keep check on compliance and once the period is over .. they,ll ask to send the modem back

imo its all about the mask ... mask is the most important
its essential to find a comfortable mask that does not leak and keep all night long
most dropouts because of mask issues

Post Reply Post Reply
The tech told me the modem would enable both the DME and the physician to download stats at any time, and it seemed to me she stated it was not just regarding compliance, but how effective the therapy is. My machine is fully data capable. One way or another, they are going to get my usage data, either through the SD card and/or via the modem, and if the machine is to be paid for, I have to comply with that. I think she said the modem was temporary. If not, after the 13 months, it's coming off one way or another if I'm not getting feedback from my doctor saying she is using the data to make sure my therapy is effective.

I understand your feelings about surveillance; I'm the same. In this case for me, it's a two edged sword. I always laugh when I see that commercial from Progressive about the people who are "delighted" with their new spyware gadget. That would be the day.

I agree, zonk. The only reason I have hope that I will not become a dropout is that my mask issues so far have been minor, and not nearly as bad as I had feared. In addition, my dad died of sleep apnea - not sure which type, as he had just been diagnosed but not yet begun treatment. My husband has it, my brother has it, and now me. i was pretty bummed about the diagnosis, but I have had sleep issues which leave me dragged out ever since I was 14. The idea of restful and restorative sleep instead of the increasing fatigue and weakness I've been dealing with is a plus.
To sleep; perchance to dream...
[Image: resmedforher.gif]
[Image: Sleepwellpink1_zps36e39dba.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 154 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 270 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,122 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 262 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [CPAP] Breas Z2 users? acctingman 18 3,156 10-30-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: MontezumasViper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.