Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Questioning CPAP when experiencing proportion CA events
improvement to 2.2 =SWJ or true CA's
Are these real CA's or SWJ?

Here's last night's data

AHI 2.21
CA 1.19
OA 0.85.

Machine Settings

CPAP Pressure 9.60 cmH2O

Ramp Only EPR Level 3cmH2O
Ramp Pressure 8.00 cmH2O
Ramp Time 30.00 Minutes
(Ramp settings set by clinician)

Had a large leak early on from mask slipping out of place.

Even though the AHI is nice and low I still feel that I'm not getting much deep, restful sleep. 
I feel like I'm often on the verge of wakefulness - if that makes sense.

Would the CA's be causing me to wake and then settle... or am I waking and then having SWJ type psuedo CA events?
Here's a close up of a couple of the "CA events"

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questioning CPAP when experiencing proportion CA events
In the two highlighted examples you were mouth-breathing then tossed/changed position resulting in the Central, likely from holding your breath.  

Look at the Mouth Breathing section of the Mask Primer and see what you can do to resolve that.

If you can video yourself and at the times of your disturbance see what is happening.  Is it your arms and legs, are you rolling or something?  If so this could be treated with meds and is a topic to discuss with your sleep doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply
The amount of CA’s is not enough to be concerned about but I agree with Bonjour that they appear to be arrousal related
Post Reply Post Reply
In that example it seems to be post arousal centrals. I think your main issue right now is leaks.

If you look at that example you posted you can see that you had a decent sized leak followed by an arousal which was then followed by a post arousal/sleep transition central apnea. If you look at full nights data you had at least 12 leaks that ended in arousal (most likely anyways as leak abruptly stopped). Your past data shows some similar leaks as well.

As bonjour hinted I would guess they are mouth leaks. Does your trial let you use different masks? I would look into trying a full face mask out for a bit if so. Otherwise you can try to tape your mouth to see if that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 268 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 118 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 177 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 772 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.