I was dx in 2007 and was given a REMstar Plus M series. My setting was an 8 cm/h20. I did not really stick with it, as I did not think I was losing much sleep (but ask my wife about my snoring and teeth grinding). Anyway, I have decided (for a number of reasons I may discuss later) to start "being compliant" again. My goal is to have a unit that can provide the detail data, so I can adjust my settings and improve my quality of life / sleep, without the cost of another sleep study.
I have spent a few days reviewing so many of your threads. This is a wonderful forum and I thank you so very much for all the information. I have learned SOOOO much.
I currently do not have insurance, so a new study is out of the question for me. With all the information you all have provided, I have found out the following:
- We can adjust our machines, and it is NOT against "the law"!
- Some machines provide more data than others and that the data is a tremendous asset.
- There are ways, if careful, that you can adjust your setting safely and correctly
- That if I stay with the M Series, I have to buy the Infineer reader that costs about $50 and download the software from this site to be able to view the information on the card. TY
That being said, my REMstar Plus M series, even if I had a card would only provide compliance data, and not the more in depth data needed to make educated adjustments vs "how I feel" adjustments.
So, I have decided to "upgrade" my machine. Since I do not have a lot of money to dedicate to this, I have been looking at used machines. I have now become somewhat familiar with the REMstar line. Thanks to those on this forum, I have learned that I probably need the REMstar Pro or Auto, to provide the more in depth data I am looking for. So here are my equipment questions and maybe an opinion question or two:
- Is my research correct, that the REMstar M series Pro and Auto will provide in depth data that I am looking for?
- In researching REMstar M series I am aware of the Plus, Pro and Auto models, but have also seen a few units that just say REMstar M series. Is this another model, or as I saw on one post, an actual "pro"model. My quesiton is.. does this model have the capability to provide the detailed data?
- My Plus has the 1022334 humidifier. I am pretty sure I have noticed that some Pro and Auto units have used that humidifier, as well as 10405118. Are they interchangeable, or are they assigned to different model years / designs.
- Opinion question. I know I have limited my questions to the M series. Is there enough of a difference, from a technical and / or reliability standpoint, to consider newer models (like System One or PRO)?
- I am sure I should ask questions when buying a used machine. Primarily the hours of use on the blower motor. What is considered a High Usage Machine or Low Usage Machine?
- Lastly, I think I know the basic difference in the Pro and Auto (the Auto adjusts while sleeping and provides different pressures on inhale and exhale), is there any other major difference for me to consider? Opinions?
One of the reasons (besides cost) I have considered sticking with the M Series, is that I would like to use the humidifier I have, as an additional base. Thank you all for your time reading this and for all the previous posts that have led me to this point.
I look forward to any and all information and advice.