Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] RESMED ON USE OF OZONE MACHINES
Angry 
RESMED ON USE OF OZONE MACHINES
It appears that ResMed has spoken with a FEBRUARY SURPRISE on Ozone machines. 

Quote:To Our Valued Patient,

ResMed announced an update to its limited warranty that may affect whether you choose to use an ozone device with your ResMed machine and mask. Please review the detail of this update below.*

ResMed user guides advise patients to periodically clean ResMed machines, components and masks with mild detergent and warm water only. Some patients choose to use other means to clean and/or disinfect their machines.

With the increased use of ozone devices, ResMed has observed that prolonged and repeated use of an ozone device may eventually cause internal damage to a ResMed machine, leading to an increase in motor noise.

Warranty update:
Effective for sales of ResMed machines on or after February 1, 2020, ResMed’s limited warranty will exclude damage to ResMed machines caused by use of ozone devices.

The limited warranty on ResMed masks, with the exception of ResMed AirTouch™ products, will not be affected.

ResMed is not taking a position on whether you should use an ozone device. That decision is up to you, as the patient, to balance the convenience of using an ozone device versus the likelihood of potential damage to your ResMed machine.

ResMed is reinforcing the cleaning instructions in its machine user guide: periodic cleaning with mild detergent and warm water is all that is required with a ResMed machine, component or mask. This letter requires no action on your part. 

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact the manufacturer of the ozone device you are currently using or, for medical advice, your physician.

https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...letter.pdf

I thought this important enough that I did not simply add it to the thread at http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ight=ozone.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: RESMED ON USE OF OZONE MACHINES
Thanks for posting this info. It reinforces my decision to clean with soap and water only.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, you can get your machine "So Clean" that it will void your warranty. 

Too-funny
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-28-2020, 04:48 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote: So, you can get your machine "So Clean" that it will void your warranty. 

Too-funny

Now that right there's funny.  I don't care who y' are.

Beam me up, Scotty.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
I submit that SoClean changes its name to SoThere.

Oxford dictionary defines So There as: used to express one's defiance or awareness that someone will not like what one has decided or is saying
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So What?
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
Unless I misread it, it seems that they don't care if you use the ozone cleaners on your peripherals, such as mask and hose.  It's just that they don't want you forcing the ozone stream through the devices themselves, which they are convinced will suffer from prolonged exposure.  This is contrary to what I had understood.  I had expected all organics to suffer from prolonged exposure to ozone.  Maybe they don't care because they know customers will have to change them for new ones routinely anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
The fact that ResMed took the time, effort, and money to change their warranty policy, tends to make me believe that there was a significant or costly warranty issue with device components. Else, they would have remained silent.

As for the use of ozone-generators with masks, hoses, etc., these are consumables and designed to be changed -- most likely before they can be damaged -- unlike the device itself which must last for at least 5 years.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
That is a good point. Consumables are expected to only last a certain time period before replacing. Consumables do not include the machine itself, which could be damaged by an ozone producing "cleaner". And I'll agree it must have generated warrantee claims or ResMed wouldn't have devoted time to modify coverage info.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:As for the use of ozone-generators with masks, hoses, etc., these are consumables and designed to be changed

The airtouch line of masks have 'memory foam' and were not excluded from the warning  where the airfit line of masks were excluded.

On the inside of Resmed CPAP machines there is sound deadening foam.

Ozone is a corrosive gas..it's no secret that various 'foam' things don't do well with corrosive chemicals...whether they be ozone,bleach,lye etc etc....
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,529 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 675 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 499 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  NOTICE: FDA Announces Voluntary Recall of SoClean Ozone Cleaners Sleeprider 4 965 12-03-2023, 09:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,158 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.