Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Rebuild rather than New....
RE: Rebuild rather than New....
(12-08-2015, 03:05 PM)bwexler Wrote: there are often folks here with used machines for sale at reasonable or even cheap.

Just to clarify, Currently in the U.S. it is illegal to sell CPAP machines without a DME license, which is why this is in the forum rules:

Quote:3. No member may use their forum account to solicit or facilitate the sale, trade, or transfer of any prescription-required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts)*

* Apnea Board is based in the U.S. and must comply with U.S. regulations and laws regarding prescription-required items, regardless of where our members are physically located.

Other forums seem to have no problem violating the law, but we don't risk it here on Apnea Board, because Apnea Board is not a licensed DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier).

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2015, 04:06 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Well SuperSleeper, it just goes to show you...never underestimate the ability of the medical mafia to make anything more expensive and inconvenient than it should be. I have a M-Series Auto that is collecting dust in a closet. One of these days I hope to give it to someone that needs it, but I'd probably get a visit from the CPAP cops

Yeah, probably no risk of any "CPAP cops" visiting any individual. Heck, I know one forum Admin who's purchased a few CPAP machines from yard sales and given them away to folks. Of course, I would not "turn in" the people selling them privately, because that's not my job.

But as for the forum, we present a bit larger target than any one individual, which is why we enforce a strict interpretation of the laws here (in order to keep Apnea Board out of hot water legally (should some jerk person decide to "turn us in"). Too-funny

I personally don't like the prescription laws for CPAP as written, but they are the law unfortunately.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
THANK YOU EVERYBODY! You've given me several great leads to follow up on. I regret the "old guy" comment I made, but I am actually 20-something years older than the "old man" in Monty Python's Holy Grail...

I'll post whatever I am able to find.

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2015, 01:09 PM)mkabru Wrote: If I can find the right motor for it (it connects to an eight-lead ribbon cable), I can easily install the new one myself. I found masks, hoses, etc. for very cheap on eBay, so other than the motor (slight detail...), I'm ready to go.

You can try Suppliers #27 and # 28 on our Supplier List:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Call and see if they can set you up with that motor.

I wouldn't waste any money repairing that old machine. Try finding a used auto-adjust CPAP machine on craigslist or elsewhere. Learn about the machines here ...

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Look for one of the recommended PRS1 or ResMed S9 machines. They are one generation older than current machines and have an excellent reputation for reliability and functionality. You can easily take them apart if you have to clean them.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
One thing to consider with the rebuild. My brother's machine was 8 years old. He got a new machine, set the same and the pressure was much higher. It seems his machine may have been 'leaking' or the motor simply too old to maintain the settings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  rebuild old cpap Marthajoy7 13 3,030 01-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Galactus

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.