Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Received Dreamstation 2 Post Recall
Received Dreamstation 2 Post Recall
Hi folks. I've been using the Dreamstation for over a year since I got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea. Philips sent me a Dreamstation 2 three days ago due to the recall. I found a way to get into advanced settings and set up the pressure as it was with my original device. However, I have noticed that my AHI jumped from the 2-3 range to 4-5+ range immediately. I'm wondering if there are any differences between the original device and this one that I need to be aware of in order to make it work for me. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Received Dreamstation 2 Post Recall
Just so you know that your question does not go totally ignored....

I'm in no way expert enough to answer in truly qualified way, however, if I may.... Even if they had sent you another brand new out of the box DS -1, you would likely have to tweak your settings somewhat to achieve the results your looking for.  

As I understand, the DS-2 and the Oscar SW are not real compatible...yet.  So if that's where your getting your numbers from, they may be in some error.

Don't give up on the board....I'm sure one of the REAL helpers will soon jump in and give you some good directions....

Best, FLc
If It Weren't For 'Flashbacks', I'd Have No Memory At All
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2021, 07:11 AM)FLcracker Wrote: Just so you know that your question does not go totally ignored....

I'm in no way expert enough to answer in truly qualified way, however, if I may.... Even if they had sent you another brand new out of the box DS -1, you would likely have to tweak your settings somewhat to achieve the results your looking for.  

As I understand, the DS-2 and the Oscar SW are not real compatible...yet.  So if that's where your getting your numbers from, they may be in some error.

Don't give up on the board....I'm sure one of the REAL helpers will soon jump in and give you some good directions....

Best, FLc

Thanks. I'm getting the AHI number straight from the device. I'm wondering if this new device is more aggressive in how it counts events, don't if that means it's more or less accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I got the replacement DS2 for my DS1, when the DS2 was powered up it made connection to the server via the cell modem and downloaded the settings that were on record for my DS1. When the download occurred it was displayed on the screen. I had not changed the settings in my DS1 as I was getting fairly consistent low AHI numbers. If your DS2 also downloaded settings that were previously on record, had you tried the machine prior to when you went into the advanced menu and changed the settings? Did you happen note the settings before they were changed so you can back to them to try and compare? Perhaps they were default settings if a download didn't happen.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-17-2021, 08:45 AM)StratCat48 Wrote: When I got the replacement DS2 for my DS1, when the DS2 was powered up it made connection to the server via the cell modem and downloaded the settings that were on record for my DS1. When the download occurred it was displayed on the screen.  I had not changed the settings in my DS1 as I was getting fairly consistent low AHI numbers. If your DS2 also downloaded settings that were previously on record, had you tried the machine prior to when you went into the advanced menu and changed the settings? Did you happen note the settings before they were changed so you can back to them to try and compare? Perhaps they were default settings if a download didn't happen.

The settings on my DS1 were prescribed by the doctor who was "happy with the results" but I used to be well over 5 AHI average with those settings. So I had changed the pressure and settled on 12 where I was consistently in the 2-3 AHI range. What you are saying did happen to me, I set up the new DS2 with my settings only to find out it reverted back to DS1 settings after it got the download so I had to change it back again to my preference. This happened once on day 1 but I have been checking daily to make sure the settings stay where they are. 
Reading further, are you suggesting I should try the prescribed settings? That's something I didn't think about but if this machine is better at what it does maybe I need to change to find a better pressure setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I would give the original prescribed settings a try for one or two nights. If the AHI is worse you'll know that may have been the wrong way to go. I suspect the algorithms in the DS2 may be a bit different than the the DS1 and perhaps interact with pressure settings differently, thus even though you have used the altered pressure settings from the DS1 which worked well, the DS2 is delivering the therapy differently. Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, as I'm getting used to the newness of the DS2 as well and without the aid of OSCAR or similar software its not going to be easy to know the direction to go in.
Post Reply Post Reply
After I received the DreamStation 2 I called my local DME and asked how to set it up. They said it was ready to go so just plug it in. I did that and somehow it loaded my previous settings and also it linked to the DreamMaker app. The only thing I had to set was the ramp. So far my AHI results are consistent with what I was getting on the original DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
I received my DS2 and it was preloaded with my settings. My numbers are a bit lower with this machine?  Took a bit to get used to ( humidifier chamber) but now I love it as much as my DS1. Smaller diameter tubing is awesome.
Post Reply Post Reply
Functionally the DS2 works well and my AHI numbers have been as good or better than with the DS1. My only beef is the physical design with the exit direction of the hose if where it exits is considered the 'front'. I have it on my nightstand 'backwards' so the hose can go behind the bed up to a hose hanger. Having it way however does make the humidifier tank access easier, but the display menu is upside down to read.

[img][Image: uZNzX6c.jpg][/img]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 9 153 4 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,971 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 187 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,195 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  r4robin - Therapy Thread (Help with BiLevel settings-post #5) r4robin 42 1,830 03-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  First Post - Help with Settings Ideas jrudicel 3 171 03-10-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: jrudicel

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.