Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to sleep apnea, need some feedback please
RE: New to sleep apnea, need some feedback please
Hello Apnea Infant,

Thank you so much for your feedback, it means a lot. My family doctor just mentioned the tennis ball technique as a way of resolving the issue, he didn't propose using a CPAP machine, and didn't really get into a lot of details. Frankly, I left the appointment wondering what comes next, he didn't exactly propose a plan of action other then the aforementioned tennis ball. Hence, why I decided to come on this forum and get the opinion of actual sleep apnea sufferers. I'm not sure what to do next.  Should I try methods like body pillows/cervical collar/tennis ball or is it better to just go straight to the CPAP machine?

Hello Walla Walla, 

Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. The body pillow sounds a lot more comfortable then the tennis ball, I agree. I'll look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to sleep apnea, need some feedback please
Hello Jay.E

You are very welcome. We were all here before and are here for each other.

Re-reading your original post, your sleep apnea is mild to moderate-not dissimilar to my diagnosis. Along with exhaustion, I also used to wake up with headaches and now I know it is due to my brain being deprived of oxygen due to apnea. I also put on a vast amount of weight with the reduced metabolic rate due to disturbed sleep and exhaustion.

My initial diagnosis was with a home overnight oximetry and the advice was there was no requirement for CPAP treatment as my apnea was mild. I persisted to get a sleep study and the rest is history. Like most of us supine sleeping produces most apneas. I have just had my annual review with the Sleep Clinic and have lost 7kg and my tummy circumference has also reduced. I am still determined to lose more weight and have promised the Sleep technician another 5kg come next year.

My view is that your apnea is high enough to warrant CPAP therapy and I am perplexed as to why it is not recommended for you as a matter of course. I use a soft neck collar to reduce my AHI with CPAP treatment. With the nasal pillow mask, the collar and trying to sleep on my side at the beginning of the night, most of my AHI is well below 1. But the biggest result is how I feel. I certainly have more energy and feel brighter mentally.

Without a doubt, it aint sexy to be sleeping with this hose powering air into my nose but what the heck-it gives me my wakeful hours back. Thats most important to me along with all the other known medical advantages over untreated sleep apnea.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 238 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 127 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 295 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 208 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 386 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 606 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 517 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.