Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Recommend Medicare DME
Recommend Medicare DME
My local DME lost its Medicare contract. I have tried to move to Apria, an approved Medicare DME for CPAP supplies that is in my local area. It has been two months now and each time I speak to them they ask for a different form. I've to the local office and they can't help. On Yelp, my local Apria gets dismal scores and I have given up using them as the process seems to be going nowhere. I have a ResMed S9 - it works fine but my ResMed Nuance Mask has deteriorated. Since I'm familiar now with the CPAP machine and Nasal Pillows I need to find a reliable DME that accepts Medicare and it doesn't have to be local. Anywhere that I get get on the internet an order supplies. I have my original Sleep Study, the original Rx from March 2013 and a good ENT MD that will send any forms. If you have any recommendations for a good mail order DME that is Medicare approved can you please post it on this thread. Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Recommend Medicare DME
(06-24-2014, 12:17 PM)DaveKaye Wrote: My local DME lost its Medicare contract. I have tried to move to Apria, an approved Medicare DME for CPAP supplies that is in my local area.

my sleep doc sent me to LINCARE. I believe they are a nationwide DME that retained the Medicare contract. All ordering is done via phone calls. I am getting supplies for my S9 Autoset and Wisp mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DaveKaye,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The vast majority of online suppliers do not deal with any insurance. You may find some small iffy supplier that takes Medicare but I would be concerned about sharing my social security number with them.

You can do a search on the Medicare website.
http://medicare.gov/supplierdirectory/search.html
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like your local company lost in the competitive bid process (coming soon to your area). Companies "bid" to be the supplier for an area. Lowest bids usually win. Medicare decides the winners and the price they will pay.

It doesn't matter whether a company is national, they can still lose the bid in a particular area. It doesn't matter whether a company provides great service (and great machines), they can still lose the bid in a particular area.

To "win" the bid, you often have to cut costs to remain profitable at the new rates:

1) Cut staff (fewer RT's)
2) Cut service (seeing more patients in less time)
3) Cut quality of equipment (bricks instead of downloadable machines)

I'm sure many of you are already in competitive bid areas. Some of you might have never even heard about any of this before.

Post Reply Post Reply
I know Apria can be very trying at times. I am in Southern California and use Apria, the only in network provider for CPAP with my insurance. The only thing they got right initially was the filters. Put after a week of gentle prodding I have everything but my chin strap which I only requested Monday since I had never used one before. I have been on PAP for 3.5 years and have only recently developed mouth leaks with my new ASV machine and it's higher pressures, especially when it chases leaks.
When you call Apria you have to ask for the CPAP department. If the individual you are talking to doesn't seem to understand what you want ask for a supervisor. I find over 30% of their CPAP folks actually know what they are doing and can help you. The others may sound pleasant but can't tell the difference between a CPAP mask and a donut.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 148 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 201 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 871 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirMini and Medicare (USA) bwilson4web 0 250 02-01-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: bwilson4web
  Wiki conflict on Medicare/CPAP ownership cps22 14 666 12-17-2023, 10:08 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Medicare (US) and CPAPs KSMatthew 4 383 12-16-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does Medicare Require An Annual Recertification of Medical Necessity? AndyB 10 959 11-17-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: AndyB

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.