Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Equipment Recommendation?
RE: Equipment Recommendation?
So should I be using the Z1 Auto supplied four foot hose to get the correct pressure at the mask or will a six foot hose not effect the pressure? Last night I tried six foot ResMed slimline hose with a ResMed zippered hose cozy and it did seem to work "slightly" better but if the longer hose would mess-up the pressure at the mask then I probably should not be using the longer hose. Also the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask seems to flow way more air out the exhalation ports with the Z1 Auto than when using it with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Any thoughts on the hose length and airflow of the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2015, 01:03 PM)Farther Wrote: So should I be using the Z1 Auto supplied four foot hose to get the correct pressure at the mask or will a six foot hose not effect the pressure? Last night I tried six foot ResMed slimline hose with a ResMed zippered hose cozy and it did seem to work "slightly" better but if the longer hose would mess-up the pressure at the mask then I probably should not be using the longer hose. Also the ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask seems to flow way more air out the exhalation ports with the Z1 Auto than when using it with the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Any thoughts on the hose length and airflow of the mask?

I have a manometer for measuring output pressure of cpap machine......I did an experiment with the Z1 Auto set at 12 and then at 14......when I used a standard diameter six foot hose (standard diameter was recommended by HDM to reduce noise) the pressure was right smack on the money, so no problem with regular size standard diameter six foot hose. When I used the supplied four foot slimline hose the pressure was just very slightly under the 12 and 14 on the meter, and when I say slightly it's like 11.9 and 13.8.........so not a ton of difference.

So my preference is the standard diameter hose in six foot length if you have room to pack a standard hose...........seems the hose diameter and length really don't have an appreciable effect on the pressure.

Also be sure that your hose adapter is inserted completely to the raised rim on the adapter, I know there were problems in the past with users not inserting the adapter and getting it seated completely.........I think they have a diagram in the manual for seating it properly.

I am running a little experiment as far as battery operation and I will post back tomorrow with some findings, but I notice the output voltage on the AC power converter is 15 volts, I assume it is this high to run the turbine fast enough...........the Z1 battery/powershell output is 14.4 volts and I noticed that when I ran on battery one night to test battery life, it seemed that the Z-Breathe function was noticeably slower than on the AC power cord.............I will test again tonight and make sure that I get the same result and let you know tomorrow.

Post Reply Post Reply
f you're using an auto, it doesn't matter. It will increase the pressure to whatever it needs to break up an apenic episode. There are probably some inconsequential differences, but they are just that - INCONSEQUENTIAL. Don't worry and just go ahead and do your thing.

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-22-2015, 06:33 PM)Farther Wrote: I am currently using a ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with good success (inspite of Lincare's lack of information) with information on the device operation from this forum. My question is: I will be going on an extended (up to 8k miles) motorcycle trip with as much camping as possible without external power. I have looked, via the internet, at both battery pack for the AirSense 10 and at a new machine called the Z1 Auto with its battery pack. My healthcare provide has given me a prescription for the Z1 Auto but I have not filled it yet. Has anyone had any experience with the Z1 Auto and if so what can you share both positive and negative. The cost of the Z1 Auto is very high as is most apnea hardware but I do have some money in a use or lose health savings account that could go to the purchase of the Z1 Auto. My wife tells me that if I purchase the Z1 Auto that I will not be staying in ANY motels during my cross country trip. So information is important. Also comments on the ResMed battery pack are welcomed too.
I haven't looked into a battery setup for the AirSence 10 yet myself but I'm thinking it's very exspensive? Let us know what you find out, I take a couple Bike trips each year myself, sound like I may need to go where there's electric hook up's and bring along extention cord or just buck up and stay in motels only.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Sometimes, a CPAP machine puts out noise through the hose, and you'll hear the sound through your nose, into the bones in your skull and then into your inner ear, instead of through your outer ear. This can make it really strange trying to figure out where the noise is coming from or how to fix it.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Farther, there is a Li-ion battery being sold on Amazon that has 36 amp hours in a very small package. You would need to up-convert to 24 volts to operate an Airsense, but Philps Respironics machines run right off the included connectors. Recharging the battery on the bike involves a simple 12V DC to 19V DC adapter. Do a search for the Poweradd Pilot Pro.

Also, you can find inexpensive PR auto machines on Craigslist from time to time. It might make a good travel machine. If you plan to operate on battery power, you will need to avoid using a heated humidifier, but you can use a passive (no heat on) humidifier and get good results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a follow-up FYI

I am only getting 5.5 hours of run time from HDM 14.4 volt battery and powershell. That's in Auto mode with pressure range of 12 to 15cm and the machine stayed at 12 to 13 all night, but 95% was at 12 cm. No ramp, Z-Breathe setting at 3 which uses a bit more power than the lower settings.

So with these settings I would need to carry two HDM batteries to get a full eight hour sleep period.

Oh, one more note, I tried running the machine with the HDM DC cable and a larger capacity 12 volt lithium ion battery, the machine will run, but not very well, the Z-Breathe function did not respond properly at all, so not very usable at less than 14.4 volts which is what the HDM battery puts out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 11:05 AM)under pressure Wrote: Just a follow-up FYI

I am only getting 5.5 hours of run time from HDM 14.4 volt battery and powershell. That's in Auto mode with pressure range of 12 to 15cm and the machine stayed at 12 to 13 all night, but 95% was at 12 cm. No ramp, Z-Breathe setting at 3 which uses a bit more power than the lower settings.

So with these settings I would need to carry two HDM batteries to get a full eight hour sleep period.

Oh, one more note, I tried running the machine with the HDM DC cable and a larger capacity 12 volt lithium ion battery, the machine will run, but not very well, the Z-Breathe function did not respond properly at all, so not very usable at less than 14.4 volts which is what the HDM battery puts out.

I don't see what the big deal is with transporting a ResMed Airsense 10, S9, or PR System One? I've carried my A10 on a little ERJ-145 in a small canvas bag with clothing for 3 days. It doesn't consume that much space in my roll-aboard when I'm flying bigger equipment. I've also had my S9 and HSi humidifier in a roll-aboard.

An HDM Z1 is a big pile of money for a technically inferior machine compared to buying a sub-$90 ResMed 12v to 24v DC-DC converter (or power cord for a 12v PR machine) on the internet and a $200 35 amp-hour lithium motorcycle battery on Amazon that weighs 4 pounds.

I did a DC-DC converter, a 25 pound 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery, and a battery tender to charge it for $180.00. I don't need the weight savings of a lithium battery and my overnight airplane flights are in business class where there is 110v AC power at the seat.

If I were hiking or bicycle camping where weight & volume are a big deal, I'd think about a Z1 setup. Even then, the recharging logistics would limit what I could take on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 12:26 PM)GeoffD Wrote: I don't see what the big deal is with transporting a ResMed Airsense 10, S9, or PR System One? I've carried my A10 on a little ERJ-145 in a small canvas bag with clothing for 3 days. It doesn't consume that much space in my roll-aboard when I'm flying bigger equipment. I've also had my S9 and HSi humidifier in a roll-aboard.

An HDM Z1 is a big pile of money for a technically inferior machine compared to buying a sub-$90 ResMed 12v to 24v DC-DC converter (or power cord for a 12v PR machine) on the internet and a $200 35 amp-hour lithium motorcycle battery on Amazon that weighs 4 pounds.

I did a DC-DC converter, a 25 pound 35 amp-hour AGM wheelchair/scooter battery, and a battery tender to charge it for $180.00. I don't need the weight savings of a lithium battery and my overnight airplane flights are in business class where there is 110v AC power at the seat.

If I were hiking or bicycle camping where weight & volume are a big deal, I'd think about a Z1 setup. Even then, the recharging logistics would limit what I could take on.

This thread was started by Farther concerning good machine to pack on an extended motorcycle trip. There is no room for an Airsense when packing a motorcycle for an extended trip! SPACE IS VERY LIMITED, SO IS WEIGHT ALLOWANCE!

A machine like the Transcend or the Z1 are about the only machines that make sense for a LONG trip..........I know Sleeprider packs a larger unit, but when I pack a motorcycle its for a week long trip and there just ain't that much room for a large cpap machine.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-07-2015, 12:26 PM)GeoffD Wrote: If I were hiking or bicycle camping where weight & volume are a big deal, I'd think about a Z1 setup. Even then, the recharging logistics would limit what I could take on.
And there you have it.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] Request Recommendation for a Dial Manometer Samwrites 4 121 03-24-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 546 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 377 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] BiPAP Replacement Recommendation Prowler 1 266 01-28-2024, 09:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Successful equipment modification tcurran 8 553 01-05-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 602 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Auto Titrating Machine Recommendation REM dominated OA BoxcarPete 21 1,340 11-20-2023, 03:40 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.