Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Air leaks how much is ok?
Air leaks how much is ok?
After 16 years with a constant pressure cpap I just spent 3 nights using my new auto cpap. Not sure about all the stat's yet. Also, not sure if more stats are needed than what I am giving here. Here they are:

Average AHI: 1.78
Average Pressure: 9
Average 90th Percentile Pressure: 9.2
Average Leak: 42.9 lpm
Average Time with Large Leak: 15.6 minutes

I am using an Apex XT Auto cpap using Apex Easy Compliance software. My Apex Wizard 210 mask has a CO2 removal of about 30 Liters by itself at 12 cmH20. If that is factored into the 42.9 which I assume it is then there is only about 12.9 that must be mask leak or open mouth. I'm just guessing at this. If that is so then I should be in good shape. Anyone know for sure? Can't reach my supplier until Monday and a curious to know before then, at least some sort of trend.

Thanx
Scott
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Air leaks how much is ok?
Welcome to Apnea Board Forum. While your machine is not as well known as some, the clinician's manual for it is available by email. Click on "CPAP Setup Manuals" at the top of the page, then scroll down to near the bottom of Section 3 to find your machine, and below that the instructions for making an email request.

The setup manual not only gives setup instructions, but also often explains how various features work. For example, the ResMed machines report the excess leakage (assuming they know the mask's design leakage), whereas the Resperionics machines report the total leakage, assuming you know the mask's design leakage (which is usually reported in the User Manual for the mask). With luck, you can find out which leakage figure your machine reports - it looks like total leakage, to me.

18 minutes of 'large leakage' will not materially affect your treatment, but you can probably improve on it by fiddling with your straps - probably loosening them in eighth inch increments every other day or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not familiar with the software you're using, but if it shows a graph of the leak rate you can look at that and tell for sure. You have an intentional leak rate of 30, so if the graph falls significantly below 30, you know you're looking at the unintentional leak rate.

Regardless, the important thing to look for is significant chunks of time where the leak rate is higher than it is at other times. These are time when you're leaking either at the mask seal or through your mouth. They will ruin a night's sleep.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Lanco,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not know. Since the machine is reporting 15.6 minutes of large leaks and an average leak of 42.9 lpm, it looks to me like the machine is reporting total leaks. If you are using the CPAP for 8 hours, 15.6 minutes of large leaks (probably over 54 lpm) is not terrible. It would be nice to know whether that was all in one period or if it was split up. All in one period would be the worst case and would probably indicate a mouth leak.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for input everyone. I got the software and manuals through this site.

This represents 3 days. On the 3rd day I set the clock properly. Also, took awhile to find a format that made a screenshot less than 200kb. Any tips on that?

Here are a couple pics of graphs that someone may better understand what my situation is.[attachment=2659]

Also, you'll see interruptions in my sleep cycle. My wife is disabled and I need to get up a few times per night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2016, 01:28 AM)Lanco Wrote: Also, took awhile to find a format that made a screenshot less than 200kb. Any tips on that?

png takes up far less space than the bmp format you are using.

See how your leak rate goes up and down? That indicates the leak rate varies. It should be relatively stable. You either have a very poor-fitting mask or your mouth is falling open and the pressurized CPAP air is escaping. This means the CPAP machine can't maintain the pressure splint needed to keep your airway open.

You can first try a chin strap. You can also make an appointment with your equipment provider for a mask fitting. If the chin strap doesn't fix the problem you will need a full face mask instead of a nasal mask.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleepster. It's always good to get more than one opinion. I am going to contact my supplier in a couple days. See what he has to say. My guess goes along with what you said. Tried a chin strap about 16 years ago probably for a day or two and that was the end of that. Still have it although the rubber has decomposed a bit. It might be good enough to test it out again though. And of course, I'd just as soon stick with a nasal mask. Should know shortly.

Because of no insurance I am doing this through an online supplier. If I need a new mask I guess it's hit or miss with lost money unless they let you try them and return them if they don't work but I hardly see how they can do that.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2016, 06:20 PM)Lanco Wrote: Because of no insurance I am doing this through an online supplier. If I need a new mask I guess it's hit or miss with lost money unless they let you try them and return them if they don't work but I hardly see how they can do that.

Some of them allow you to trade masks in if they are not working for you. I do not remember exactly how it works but they can 'splain it to you

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2016, 01:28 AM)Lanco Wrote: Thanks for input everyone. I got the software and manuals through this site.

This represents 3 days. On the 3rd day I set the clock properly. Also, took awhile to find a format that made a screenshot less than 200kb. Any tips on that?

Here are a couple pics of graphs that someone may better understand what my situation is.

Also, you'll see interruptions in my sleep cycle. My wife is disabled and I need to get up a few times per night.

Easier just to upload your screenshots to somewhere like Photobucket or Smugmug and then link the photos from there.

That is what I ended up doing with mine, the photo kb limit for posting directly here is too restrictive to be useful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 501 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 768 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.