Kate Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP S
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Resperonics FitLife
Humidifier: ResMed S5i
CPAP Pressure: 8/4
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: VPAP always makes me feel like my avatar.

Sex: Female

Question Rent ASV machine
My insurance runs out on Dec. 31 and I will have to pay the rent that my insurance has paid for my ResMed 9. On my software, I have noticed that 90% of my AHIs are central apneas, so I thought that I might as well rent an ASV machine.

But where do I do that or should I say, which online site can I rent a machine?

KateSleep-well

:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
12-12-2013 01:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

Sex: Male

RE: Rent ASV machine
ASV stand for "Adaptive servo-ventilation"
ASV is a complex machine designed to treat central sleep apnea including complex apnea, mixed sleep apnea and cheyne-stokes respiration
I don,t believe there is on-line site or even brick/mortar store that can rent/sell you anything without a prescription that specifies this type of machine. You say "90% of my AHIs are central apneas" but you don,t say 90% of what. We don,t know if any of those central events are due to medications plus the machine have limitation cannot tell you if you were awake or asleep when the events are scored.
Only sleep study in a sleep lab can properly diagnose you with central sleep apnea, your own sleep physician is the best person to advise you
I,m not expert and its not like APAP can be set with pressure range and the machine adjust the pressure within the range ... not that simple
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013 03:20 AM by zonk.)
12-12-2013 03:09 AM
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Kate, not sure if you mentioned this in another thread, but how long have you been renting the S9 unit?

Generally, insurance will transition you from "rental" and they will purchase the machine for you after a certain number of months with solid compliance (using the machine regularly each night). If it's been a few months since you started on CPAP, I would call your insurance company now to see what their policy is regarding a transition from rental to outright purchase for you before your insurance ends. You might be able to have them purchase it outright for you from the Durable Medical Equipment supplier (DME).

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

12-12-2013 06:11 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

I have wondered if she is currently using an ASV or not. I know ResMed has one but I was under the impression that Kate was not currently using an ASV machine. I could be wrong.
12-12-2013 06:26 PM
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy one out right. A DME is not going to let a person "rent" one. They only let insurance companies do that because they get more money that way.

If you have to buy out of pocket, check out Supplier #2 in the supplier's list (link at top of every page). He may be able to work out a deal for you.

As for no insurance, have you gone to an "insurance broker" or gone to the websites? I know many cities and counties have places set up for folks to go to for advice and help.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
12-12-2013 09:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have no insurance, and will not be eligible for Medicare til July, 2014. At that point I hope to get a new study done, and move to an ASV machine myself. Sadly, they are not cheap. And, as my current PS is at 8, I believe the Resmed version won't work for me, so of course I will need the most spendy one out there.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
12-13-2013 11:52 AM
bwexler Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PRS 1 BiPAP autoSV Advanced, with Heated Tube humidifier
Mask Make & Model: Sleepweaver √Član
Humidifier: Resperonics Heated Tube humidifier
CPAP Pressure: Max pressure 25.0 cm H20, Max
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncorePro

Other Comments: CMS 50i with Software for SpO2

The Resmed S9 Bipap adapt Auto SV machine is the most spendy machine out there.

(12-13-2013 11:52 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  I'm in the same boat as the OP. I currently have no insurance, and will not be eligible for Medicare til July, 2014. At that point I hope to get a new study done, and move to an ASV machine myself. Sadly, they are not cheap. And, as my current PS is at 8, I believe the Resmed version won't work for me, so of course I will need the most spendy one out there.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013 11:55 PM by bwexler.)
12-13-2013 11:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(12-13-2013 11:52 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  And, as my current PS is at 8, I believe the Resmed version won't work for me, so of course I will need the most spendy one out there.

Why so? The Resmed ASV Adapt has a max PS of 20. Here in Oz the Resmed is cheaper than the Philips (though more expensive than the same thing sold in the US).

Having used both machines, I'd suggest you try both (if possible) before selecting one over the other. The Philips seems to have more sophisticated algorithms and better reporting, but the Resmed is a much more comfortable machine to use (for me) and is the one that got my AHI down consistently.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

12-14-2013 12:15 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

I am told that the Resmed machine maxPS you can set to be six. It can climb to 20, but I need a base PS of eight right now.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
12-14-2013 01:21 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(12-14-2013 01:21 AM)Peter_C Wrote:  I am told that the Resmed machine maxPS you can set to be six. It can climb to 20, but I need a base PS of eight right now.

I may have misunderstood you. The highest minimum PS is indeed 6, while the max can be set anywhere between 0 and 20. Mine is currently set with minimum PS at 3 and maximum at 10. However you can set the minimum EPAP anywhere between 4 and 15, so I think there should be flexibility there to get the setting you need.

As I said above, give them both a try if you can - you might find that one is much better than the other for you.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 02:24 AM by DeepBreathing.)
12-14-2013 02:15 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,069 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  Travel CPAP - can I rent one? davisesq212 8 2,549 01-30-2016 10:38 PM
Last Post: bill-e
  Oxygen concentrator--rent or buy? Gen'l tips? Milk and cookies! 8 1,098 01-28-2016 02:40 PM
Last Post: bwexler
  ASV try/rent funkdoobiest 5 773 11-05-2015 08:14 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Got Respironics Dreamstation A-CPAP/Rent to Own? pwgphoto 6 1,094 10-28-2015 01:19 AM
Last Post: zonk
  Forgot to put card back in machine, is there a way to copy it from machine to card? Marnid2014 6 3,785 04-06-2014 08:54 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2