Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It's been a while, too long really! Feeling bad. Having CAs
RE: It's been a while, too long really! Feeling bad.
(08-03-2020, 07:25 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Not to get in the way of a great reunion, but if you want to get after CA, then increasing pressure is the wrong way to go.  Your last screenshot was with 12-24 with PS 4.  I want you to try 10 to 18 with PS 3 and change trigger sensitivity to high.

Thank you for the help.

I'm posting the last 3 days for you to see.

I adjusted the settings as you suggested, and that's today. Just note that at 10 to start I kind of feel like it's hard to breathe, the feeling got better but at the start it was harder.

I also took to heart that some of the positional apneas could be helped by my remaining conscious of sleep position which I've also done the last few days.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you around when we put together the EERS wiki? It has been turning out to be a good solution for some members that have CA events, but want to keep pressure support and pressure for other events. It specifically targets the random CA that seems to come from CO2 washout. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ace_(EERS) As an additional bonus, it seems to make notable increases in tidal volume and minute vent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wasn't here for that, after reading it I'm not even sure I understand it, or what it actually does. (4th read, I kind of get some of it...)

Until now I didn't even understand how someone could have a clear airway apnea event.

It's also been a while since I changed my climate line, mask frame, nasal pillows, and so I'm going to change out everything tonight along with fresh filters and all.

So what do you think about settings? Leave them as you suggested or what?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your settings seem good and obstructive events are well controlled. The reduction of pressure support seems to have reduced CA a bit, but your subjective feedback was it is less comfortable. CA events are usually brief, and of little consequence to your health and sleep. They can arise from sleep disturbance, and we have come to call them consistently inconsistent. One of the most common causes is over-ventilation from pressure support which reduces CO2 and this can reduce respiratory drive. Technically it puts you on the "apneic threshold" which is characterized by oscillating flow rates and some central apnea. We don't usually chase them, but you are in the 5+ per hour range, so it's up to you. EERS simply conserves some exhaled air for rebreathing, which brings CO2 to a normal level and often works to solve the problem. We have added it to the toolbox for those that are concerned about CA events but are not ready to commit to ASV.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Galactus, since this is more of a discussion of your ongoing therapy, would you mind if I moved this thread to the Main Forum, which is more for this type of discussion?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2020, 08:15 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Galactus, since this is more of a discussion of your ongoing therapy, would you mind if I moved this thread to the Main Forum, which is more for this type of discussion?

I was actually going to ask if you wanted to do that, so sure feel free, maybe others can benefit as well. Thanks for asking.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2020, 08:09 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Your settings seem good and obstructive events are well controlled.  The reduction of pressure support seems to have reduced CA a bit, but your subjective feedback was it is less comfortable.  CA events are usually brief, and of little consequence to your health and sleep.  They can arise from sleep disturbance, and we have come to call them consistently inconsistent.  One of the most common causes is over-ventilation from pressure support which reduces CO2 and this can reduce respiratory drive. Technically it puts you on the "apneic threshold" which is characterized by oscillating flow rates and some central apnea.  We don't usually chase them, but you are in the 5+ per hour range, so it's up to you.  EERS simply conserves some exhaled air for rebreathing, which brings CO2 to a normal level and often works to solve the problem.  We have added it to the toolbox for those that are concerned about CA events but are not ready to commit to ASV.

Just to confirm, my feedback on the less comfortable aspect was only the start at 10. At 10 when I started it felt hard to breathe. It felt like when ramp was on and for the first 5 minutes I couldn't get air. I was wondering if we could possibly try raising 10-12?  I can leave it like this for a few days too and see if I adapt as well, because it did go away.

ASV, is that the machine that will actually take a breath for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
The main thing I wanted to do was reduce pressure support to reduce CA, so yes, increasing miimum pressure is fine.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to leave the machine set the way you had it for the next 3 days and will post the results. The discomfort went away last night, so let's see where we can get if that's good by you. I'm feeling tired and irritable and don't need that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 254 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki
  [Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP LazerStallion 5 321 02-25-2024, 05:41 AM
Last Post: LazerStallion
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 302 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  Long story short chronic 5 380 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 805 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 558 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 215 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.