Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem
RE: Replacement Cellular Modem
wish someone who has performed this update would post the results. Replacing the modem is easy. Whether it will work or not I have no idea, no one seems to know for sure. The cost to buy a modem is prohibitive if it does not work.  

q. is new firmware needed to make it dial out?
q. how does the phone carrier know to allow the data transfer, is there some entry at ResMed, Apria etc that needs to be made to accommodate that?
q. When RedMed is updated to the change in serial number that one will be using, does their online app allow the older 3G serial number to be entered into their system since they made the machine as a 3G machine?
q. If updating the firmware is needed, my GUESS is that the port below the SDRAM is a place where an interface plugs in to do the update. If so where does one get the interface and the correct firmware?
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on the info Crimson Nape has mentioned, you would have to use some form of modem to load firmaware onto the CPAP. However, this firmware does not appear readily available from ResMed, along with the very difficult to impossible act of getting, for example, the old modem to get that firmware so you can install, register, and use the new modem. It may be proven to be accomplished, but I think the required skills to do so are not available by most. I would consider this to be a proposition that will not work as well or as easily as you think.

Having experienced firsthand how badly common, very simple requests regarding CPAP and masks get bungled, to ask the DME to register an old CPAP with new modem info will almost certainly fail spectacularly, leaving your swap project non-functional and basically dead.

This is my opinion only.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I found a thread where someone has achieved downloading and uploading AirSense 10 firmware. I also found another thread where I am walking in someone else's footprints, asking the same companies known to repair ResMed if they have the capability - and the answer was the same to them as what I am getting - no. They are all simply part or machine changers. One company said the issue is likely to be that the FDA approved the AirSense 10 packages individually, and no one is interested in going to the FDA for approval on a modem update that would be provided to a client. 

If anyone else follows along on this thread, here is a discussion on how to change the AirSense 10 firmware: The thread is from 2020, one might be able to contact the author. I don't know. https://www.reddit.com/r/SleepApnea/comm...heir_cpap/

I am done on this project and have contacted my CPAP supplier a while ago to replace the AirSense 11 under warranty, although I immensely dislike it. So far it has air leaked internally countless times, no doubt a design flaw because the silicone seal to the water tray deforms into an oval quickly instead of staying round - the tray has a round opening and not an oval one. I have replaced the part three or four times now, It stays round for about a week then deforms. The AirSense 11 has rained randomly on me, used up water at random rates and locked onto a water heating cycle that not only caused a lot of rain one night about 30 days ago but started an electronic fire inside a $350 backup battery by overheating the battery power inverter circuit. The LION batteries did not ignite thank God, but the warranty was up on the backup unit so I ate the $350 loss. The 11 has randomly refused to start. I will use the older AirSense 10 until the 11 is replaced with a new never used one.  I was praying someone here in the software section had been thru this and knew how to flash it but as Dave suggested, that is only part of the process of getting the new modem sending data.  For the record and sort of rambling, the 3G CDMA change to 4G LTE has been brutal on this household as many devices failed. In some cases like ADT, some companies sent out a technician to upgrade the modems and firmware.  I spent close to a year getting the navigation system in the Acura working again after the update, and it went down again with a 2023 NAV refresh in October - Acura is still trying to figure out how to fix it. I have been in IT for over 20 years and this is just par for the course with the industry. Release and fix bugs later. Thank you all for your help. I did read your comments and appreciate them. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I bought a 4G modem off eBay... negotiated a decent price... 40USD plus tax, shipped.

It arrived without a cable.  I have my old 3G cable... unfortunately, the connectors are not exactly the same, so some surgery will be necessary.  We have SMD stuff at work, so I'm lucky there.  I did complain to the seller... we'll see if they cough up the cable.  It was not shown on their other items for sale, although it did look like they were parting out an AS10.  I'm expecting a partial refund... not going to kill them over this, they have good feedback... maybe 5$?  Whatever... as y'all have noted, these are made of unobtainium.  The other modems on eBay are the 3G ones... for as much or more.  I've also seen folks on here wanting to disconnect theirs anyway... should be a market for these.... but you can find the full-on AS10 with modem for less than 500USD.

Uncle Nick has a video where he shows connecting the 4G modem to a C2C machine... it picked up and showed bars.  Whether this works with my older AS10 that had the 3G in it remains to be seen... the cards are almost identical except for the big chip and the cable connector.  Since it's identical on the main board I'm pretty sure the wiring didn't change, just the connector form factor.  I also have a new C2C machine so if I have to I can go to that... I use Oscar, just that my sleep doctor is not going to touch it... he calls the SD card a 'chip'... so last-century.

I'll report back soon.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope it works for you. Having bars is not the same as the ATT tower being willing to carry the data to where ever and then where ever store it in a way you can retrieve it. I don't know how that side of it works, meaning that it is more than just having bars. I would think that there is some kind of agreement between either resmed or the seller and the carrier (ATT or Verizon etc) that authorizes the modem to call home, then some configuration a that site which stores the data in a meaningful way. I had hoped someone would have the firmware that allowed that to happen but so far no one has been willing to talk about it or take it on.  One place that services the AS10 kept telling me they could do it if the parts ever became available suddenly said it was beyond their capability when the parts did become available. 4G LTE modems are available thru Ebay. They look different and have a different chip than the 3G modems. Keep us posted how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have traced the circuit... the wires are the same, except there's a polarity-reversal diode in series on the 2016 4G board.

I've cut my old 3G cable and extended one end... soldered wires to the new board.  The seller had no cable nor recourse for one.  Luckily, there's through-hole test points on the modem (both old and new) describing TX, RX, and GND.  The 4VDC is not what comes in though... so I used another test point for 24VDC.  I went ahead and bypassed the diode, no problem there... it drops .18volts, so it's not there for dropping purposes.

Now I have to take it home and try it.  Quite fiddly stripping and soldering these tiny wires, lucky I work in a lab.

Here's a picture of the two connectors... I'll post more pictures after I blow it up... or it works.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe I have success!  I get a few bars downstairs... perhaps more upstairs.

This is my old machine that came with the 3G modem... it's showing bars using a 4G modem I bought off eBay.  Hopefully the data is tracked by serial number, not modem ID or SIM card.  More on that later.

So when you look on eBay look for 'Newport Cellular Card', not Resmed modem.  I went ahead and bought the last used one there just now... gonna try it on my C2C machine.  There's another vendor selling brand-new in the package cards (80USD)... but again there is no cable... if you have your old 3G cable you can make two 4G cables out of it by soldering to the board... see the picture.  I'll do a whole thread on the conversion if I find it works.  I expect it to... the computer doesn't care which cellphone 'G' you're using, it just wants to send modem data... I looked at the big chip's datasheet, it responds to 'AT' commands, been a few decades since I used something like that knowingly!  Anyway, here's the picture, revel in the glory.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-22-2024, 05:17 PM)scowell Wrote: (snip)
Uncle Nick has a video where he shows connecting the 4G modem to a C2C machine... it picked up and showed bars. 

I misspoke... Nick plugs in a *3G* modem to the C2C machine and it picks up.  In Australia they still use 3G, he even explains during the video.  Anyway, the 4G works exactly the same I think... more below.
Post Reply Post Reply
Did the 4G modem end up updating the firmware and/or connecting to myair since swapping out the 3G?  I have a Vauto 10 with CDMA 3G but am in Australia and US CDMA 3G band different to Aussie 3G so interested to see how it went? 3G ends in Australia June 24 Telstra and last is Optus in Sept 24
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,065 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,618 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,827 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,042 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 204 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,127 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,903 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.