Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP
Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP
My CPAP is being repaired right now and I've been using a loaner CPAP for the past few days. The loaner and the one I usually use are both Airsense 10 models. I haven't been feeling rested with the one I'm loaning so I started using OSCAR to look at my data. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated - I feel like a zombie, and the practitioners at my sleep clinic are not forthcoming with help.

The number of events and leakage rate seem acceptable overall, so now I'm trying to figure out how to interpret the OSCAR output to try and get a good night's sleep. 

The water tank that I was given with the loaner CPAP was faulty - when I tried using it, there was a loud hissing/whooshing sound of a leak and the CPAP stopped itself and gave a message about a major leak. Using my water tank that I used with my CPAP does not result in this problem, and with it I checked for leakage in the tube and did not find any (placed my hand over the opening and ran mask fit with no hissing).

I noticed in the settings that the tube setting was set to "slimline" while I have a ClimateLineAir heated tube. I believe that this tube automatically updates the tube setting to what it should be, but if I'm incorrect please let me know.

One other thing to note - I use a full face mask, but for the first few nights of using this CPAP, it was unknowingly set to nasal mask. I switched it to full face mask a couple nights ago, but that actually seemed to make my sleep worse.

I've attached last night's data, formatted by OSCAR - please let me know if there are any adjustments that need to be changed for the formatting. I will post the OSCAR display for the night before last also - I don't seem to be able to attach a second image to this post.

Here is the OSCAR output for the night before last.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Not feeling rested/high flow limit on loaner CPAP
Pretty horrendous flow limits. Can you provide a zoom of 2-4 minutes of the flow rate so we can verify it's as bad as it looks? I think you need to increase minimum pressure, but there should not be this big of a difference between two machines of the same model. How many hours run time on it? With a Climateline plugged in, the machine should have an option for tube temperature, not show Slimline.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's a few minutes from last night. What do you think I should increase min pressure to? Are there any other settings to check?

I have no idea how many hours its been run before it was loaned to me, but probably about 80 hours of use from me in the past 10 days. I don't have the settings that were used on my old CPAP - do you know if there's a way to get those from MyAir or elsewhere?

Thank you so much for your help, I can't tell you how much I appreciate this!

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, the flow limits are real. I sure hope that is resolved when you get your own machine back. Did you see stuff like this with the other one?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not that I know of. I started using OSCAR because of the bad sleep I'm getting with this machine. But it's been a long time since I've slept this bad and I'm really feeling it. 

I set the minimum pressure to 10.4, do you think that will help or should it be higher?
Post Reply Post Reply
Update from last night - with min pressure set to 10.4, AHI and leak increased. Just woke up but already feeling like I didn't even sleep. Sad

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 99 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 264 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 315 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 113 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,614 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.