Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Replacement Cellular Modem
Replacement Cellular Modem
Does anyone out there in Never-Never Land have a bead on replacement cellular modems for ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV (or similar models) since the cellular companies have ditched everything 3G and below in favor for 5G? Thanx in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacement Cellular Modem
Just guessing here, but its probably built-in to a processor board somewhere in the unit, so unlikely to be upgradeable.

Just curious: why would you want to activate that? Once you are beyond your insurance compliance period, you don't really need it. Or were you planning to send the data to your Doctor?
Post Reply Post Reply
Current ResMed machines are using 4G modems, but it is very unlikely that they are a drop-in replacement for either a CDMA or 3G modem. In any event it would have to come from ResMed so that it would call back to ResMed.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, it's an add-on board, under the left-side panel, that plugs into the main board.

I've searched everywhere, including multiple repair shops, but even though the repair shops can replace the modem with a newer model, they want the entire CPAP device to be sent to them and then they would perform the work. By the time that process is complete, I'm without a CPAP for a minimum of 3 weeks, and out about $600. May as well just purchase a new one. Many sources can replace the board, but will not sell the board to the users of the CPAP devices.

The need was not actually a need, but more of a convenience. It's nice to simply be able to view the basics via MyAir instead of having to...

- Open CPAP access panel
- Unplug SDCard
- Transport SDCard to computer
- Plug SDCard into computer
- Launch sleep tracking software
- View results
- Close sleep tracking software
- Unplug SDCard
- Transport SDCard to CPAP
- Plug SDCard into CPAP
- Close CPAP access panel

Yes, all that is really no big deal, but being able to simply click twice on my phone is super convenient.

Thanx again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just glance at the screen when I wake up. As long as I don't need to adjust anything, that's enough
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello. Did you ever find a reasonable way to upgrade the modem from 3G to 4G? I’m very interested in doing so too!  Thanks for any guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ispira18! - Welcome

I'm sure Digi-Key or Mouser may have a workable modem, but the CPAP's firmware will not have the proper code to negotiate a connection.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As an update, here is the A10's modem.  This is a Newport Cellular PCB proprietary-designed board.  The modem chip appears to be a ball grid array (BGA).  Unless you have surface mount technology (SMT) reflow equipment, you are out of luck.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=47617]

UPDATE:
I found the 4G on eBay for $80 USD.  Here is its label:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=47618]

- Red

Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the great info!  Is it still the case that the even that new board won't work without a firmware update, and that I would not be able to get the firmware update from Resmed (because there'd be no connection over which they could push the update)?  I hope I'm making sense; I'm not a techie.
Post Reply Post Reply
That is correct. I think, but not certain, that the old 3G had a firmware code of 301 and the 4G models used a 401 code number. Without a modem that can connect to an existing cell signal, Resmed couldn't push an update even if they wanted to. Updating the firmware requires disassembly of the CPAP and a special connector to allow it to communicate with another computer. Having played with this, I can safely say it is NOT a procedure for the novice.

What benefit are you expecting, other than maybe seeing your AHI in MyAir? If so, you can read it off the front of your CPAP for a lot less aggravation. If you are unaware, the reporting period for an A10 series is one month, but you can set it to display your sleep values for a week, or a day. This setting will reset back to the month reporting if the A10 loses power.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,258 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,645 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,829 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,051 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 206 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,128 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,911 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.