Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Replacement for Respironics BiPAP AVAPS C-Series
Replacement for Respironics BiPAP AVAPS C-Series
My friend lives in a part of Africa where it is very difficult to purchase CPAP/BPAP machines. He has been using the Respironics BiPAP AVAPS C-Series machine for many years and is in need of a replacement. Without really knowing his machine settings or sleep test results, I'm considering helping him to purchase a Respironics DreamStation BiPAP machine. Would the Respironics DreamStation BiPAP machine have all the same features as the Respironics BiPAP AVAPS C-Series? Both machines are made by Respironics, so I'm hoping the newer model (DreamStation) would have the same features plus more, but would like to get some opinions from you guys before making the purchase. Thanks! And Happy Holidays!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacement for Respironics BiPAP AVAPS C-Series
Hi Hagemusha, welcome to Apnea Board.

AVAPs machines are generally used to treat more complex cases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and other conditions which may occur with or without sleep apnea. The AVAPs can certainly treat obstructive apnea but there are other machines to do that at a lower cost. So I guess the question is: Why does you friend have an AVAPs, and would an ordinary CPAP or bilevel suit him as well?

The current Dreamstation range does include an AVAPs and from a quick look at the specifications it seems to be a direct replacement of the earlier machine. You can see the manufacturer's page for each machine here:

https://www.philips.com.au/healthcare/pr...r/overview

https://www.philips.com.au/healthcare/pr...ifications
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply! 

My friend has been using this machine for many years and I don't know his exact sleep apnea condition. Long story short, they can only rent imported sleep apnea machines in that part of Africa and it costs something like $2,000 CAD every 3-4 months. The fee was covered by insurance and there was also a company that subsidized this cost for him over the years, but this company can no long offer a subsidy so I offered to look for a machine while I'm in Canada. It is better for him to just purchase a machine in the long-term rather than continuing to rent for that cost. I think I will just go ahead and get the Respironics DreamStation and then he can bring it to a doctor there to apply the appropriate settings. Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's one Philips product page (USA) for the Dreamstation replacement for that old machine:

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/p...ventilator

Brochure (PDF, 2 pages): https://philipsproductcontent.blob.core....69d34b.pdf

Apparently no link to a PDF of the user's guide there, but maybe on some other Philips web site.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Fat Drywaller! I'll see if I can get that DreamStation model. Happy Holidays!
Post Reply Post Reply
i would recommend replacing an AVAPS machine with an AVAPS machine. just a regular bipap will not have the same features as an AVAPS bipap.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2018, 09:51 AM)dmeRT Wrote: i would recommend replacing an AVAPS machine with an AVAPS machine. just a regular bipap will not have the same features as an AVAPS bipap.

Yes, definitely. That's why I provided a pointer to information about the Dreamstation BiPAP AVAPS. Any downgrade from that is not recommended, to say the least.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 90 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 247 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,937 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,480 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 2,087 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 400 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 268 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.