Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Replacement time-frames
Replacement time-frames
Hello all;

Haven't found anything covering this, but if it's been asked and answered I apologize.

What are the average life-times of the various parts of a CPAP setup? How often would you expect to replace a) the mask and hose, b) the machine itself?

I realize that any answers would be generalizations based on care and maintenance but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Replacement time-frames
Hi Dsomji
I haven,t changed the hose yet since got the S9 over year ago. Took me a while to find the right mask and now just replace the cushion when it wear out.
I haven,t replaced the machine but it can last a long time but suppose every time they keep updating machines with added features.
If insured find out about the replacement policy.
Post Reply Post Reply
most insurance plans will pay for a new machine after 5 years. when yours is 5 yrs old, look around and see if there's something newer you'd like to get and talk to your doc. my doctor told me if a dme calls and says its time for a new machine to see him first so he can prescribe the newest machine out there. even if yours is still good, its a good way to get a new machine and use your old one for backup.

most insurance plans pay for new masks and stuff every 3 - 6 months. in the beginning its a good idea to get some replacements as soon as you're eligible and not open them til you need them., that way if the dog eats the hose you have one you can use immediately and not scramble around.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, 5 years is the number most often bandied about with machines.
My DME says every month for pillows, 3 months for hose, and 6 months for mask complete.

That said, I'm a year and a half into my S9 and on my second hose (killed the first one with too large a cleaning brush). Still the original mask, though I do have an extra on hand just in case. My nasal pillows I do replace every couple of months, they just don't seem to fit as well much longer than that.
Post Reply Post Reply
The 5 year mark seems pretty common for machines, though there is no meed to replace it if it works fine and you are happy with it. Though at 5 years, there are probably newer, more capable machines.

For my plan, pillows or cushions are replaced twice a month, the mask every 6 months, and the hose at 6 months. Filters are also replaced twice a month.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-05-2012, 08:22 PM)Dsomji Wrote: Hello all;

Haven't found anything covering this, but if it's been asked and answered I apologize.

What are the average life-times of the various parts of a CPAP setup? How often would you expect to replace a) the mask and hose, b) the machine itself?

I realize that any answers would be generalizations based on care and maintenance but any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
D

5 Years is the average for the actual CPAP machine.

My insurance specifies that they will replace it after 5 years only if it canNOT be repaired. But they did not hesitate to pay for a replacement for my 8 year old machine with a prescription that noted the replacement reason as the new technology available.

Most insurances follow the Medicare schedule for replacing the consumable supplies.

Mine will replace the cushions twice a month & the entire mask & headgear every 6 months.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your input on this. I contacted my health plan carrier to find out from them and they won't look at cushion, mask, or hose replacement for a minimum of two years. Seems a little long for things like cushions. Sad
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 04:38 PM)Dsomji Wrote: Thank you everyone for your input on this. I contacted my health plan carrier to find out from them and they won't look at cushion, mask, or hose replacement for a minimum of two years. Seems a little long for things like cushions. Sad

NO cushion is going to be usable for 2 years - so you may be paying 100% of those until the insurance kicks in.

Are you sure they understood what you were asking.
2 Years seems extreme.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-06-2012, 05:17 PM)Steven Wrote:
(03-06-2012, 04:38 PM)Dsomji Wrote: Thank you everyone for your input on this. I contacted my health plan carrier to find out from them and they won't look at cushion, mask, or hose replacement for a minimum of two years. Seems a little long for things like cushions. Sad

NO cushion is going to be usable for 2 years - so you may be paying 100% of those until the insurance kicks in.

Are you sure they understood what you were asking.
2 Years seems extreme.

I asked in a couple different ways trying to impart the fact that I was asking about mask cushions, not the entire thing. No go. I'll probably try with a different rep in a few days to confirm.

Two years and then I can buy replacement mask, parts, hose, etc and submit invoices. Replacement for the machine will require further doctor's notes.

In the meantime, I think I'll stick to everyone's recommendations on timelines.

Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:I contacted my health plan carrier to find out from them and they won't look at cushion, mask, or hose replacement for a minimum of two years. Seems a little long for things like cushions.

That is bizarre... not sure where you are but if you're in the U.S., I'm pretty sure that most health care companies have to follow Medicare guidelines at a bare minimum for CPAP machines, masks & filters... yes, you might have varying out-of-pocket expenses and deductibles based upon what plan you signed up for, but for them to tell you that "it's not covered at all for two years" sounds very suspect. Thinking-about

Now, if you're outside the U.S., then I have no clue what is policy for your country.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,453 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,078 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,828 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.