Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

AHI A Month In (and other newbie questions)
RE: AHI A Month In (and other newbie questions)
Hi, dclaryjr.

You might take a look at your sleep study results and see what position you were sleeping in during the time at 10 cm pressure and also if you had any REM sleep during that time.

Obstructive apnea is worse for almost everyone when they're sleeping on their back compared to on their side or stomach. Lots of people also have more severe apnea during REM sleep. If you have a copy of the results from your first sleep study without CPAP, you can see how your obstructive events varied with sleep position and with REM vs. non-REM sleep.

In fact, unless you just want to have another titration study in a lab, you can take an auto-adjusting CPAP machine and do your own titration at home.

I'm not saying that you should do that if you prefer to have an in-lab titration.

P.S. I just read in your latest post where you wrote that you have an auto-adjusting machine. Ignore what I said above about scrutinizing your sleep studies, unless you just want to do that to learn more about the subject.

(08-03-2016, 02:03 PM)dclaryjr Wrote: I got my doctor to send me a copy of the sleep study and the prescription. I've attached the respiratory summary. Hypos and OAs definitely dominate.

The conclusion says I had a good response at 10 cm H20 with no respiratory events.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dclaryjr,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 09:53 AM)dclaryjr Wrote: The Simplus started making an annoying whining noise that would go away if I tapped on the vent, but then it would come back.

That is caused by excess humidity. Little droplets of water get on the vent holes and block them off enough to produce a whistle. If you tap on it, they dislodge and the noise stops. Well, stops until the next droplets get there. The cure is to reduce the humidity setting.
Post Reply Post Reply
GW--your post looks significantly shorter than it was last night! Smile Thanks for the reply!

Just FYI - I'm a back sleeper. I don't know about the original study but in the last one I spent all but :30 seconds on my back. 33% of that time was spent in REM.

And I did confirm that my machine says "autoset" on the face.

I appreciate all the input. I'll just stay with the status quo until I can get this follow up study done and then take it from there. I'll post again when I get those results.

Dave

Post Reply Post Reply
When I wrote the original post last night, I was thinking that you had a fixed pressure machine, so most of the post was about how to convince your doctor to let you trade up to an auto-adjusting machine. It's advice that didn't work for me, but I keep sharing it with other people anyway.

(08-04-2016, 09:20 AM)dclaryjr Wrote: GW--your post looks significantly shorter than it was last night! Smile Thanks for the reply!

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-03-2016, 11:54 PM)chill Wrote: That is caused by excess humidity. Little droplets of water get on the vent holes and block them off enough to produce a whistle. If you tap on it, they dislodge and the noise stops. Well, stops until the next droplets get there. The cure is to reduce the humidity setting.

Thanks. A good example of unexpected consequences. Someone suggested I crank up the humidity a bit to help with an itchy nose. I ended up turning it back down after I switched masks.

This is still a work in progress. Both masks are still in play.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-04-2016, 01:09 PM)green wings Wrote: When I wrote the original post last night, I was thinking that you had a fixed pressure machine, so most of the post was about how to convince your doctor to let you trade up to an auto-adjusting machine. It's advice that didn't work for me, but I keep sharing it with other people anyway.

No problem--it's all good!

I just got a call from the sleep center and I'm booked for tomorrow night with their "pro from Dover" technician. Smile I will bring up the idea of using the autoset feature of the S10.

One thing that complicates things is that I have multiple players in this drama: the sleep center, my doctor, the doctor who signs off on the sleep center's report (but doesn't see me), and the DME company that isn't local. I wish I was dealing with the board-certified sleep doc directly. Oh well. I should know some more Saturday morning. Meanwhile, I picked up an SD card reader today so I'll be playing with Sleepyhead and ResScan tonight.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 390 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 135 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 193 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 206 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.