Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirCurve 10 VPAP help
RE: ResMed AirCurve 10 VPAP help
(06-09-2018, 06:43 PM)johnathonm Wrote: Ok, I will gather data.

Last question, any benefit in getting a neck brace or doing the tape thing?

J

That is an excellent question. Usually a patient will get a soft cervical collar when obstructive clusters occur due to positional related apnea. Chin tucking usually. Again, without data, I can't say for sure you would be a candidate for a soft cervical collar.

Since you are using a full face mask, taping of the mouth would be for extreme cases of dry mouth in which you nearly exclusively mouth breathe. Generally those who tape are nasal mask or nasal pillows users who have to control mouth leaks.

Edit: soft collars have shown to be very effective and I am for them 100% if needed
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Last set of questions until I am able to gather some data

I have seen talk about replacing the memory card in these units. I was reading on ResMeds site that they are very particular about the type of memory card that can work in the unit. Does anyone in the forum have a recommendation? I saw mention of one with WiFi built in?

Two, I am suffering horrribly right now from swallowing air and this is the reason I started asking about tweaking my settings. Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with that?

Third, and I didn’t see this in the wiki, using the ResMed air curve 10 there are three options: cpap, s and vauto. Cpap is obviously covered in the wiki but the s mode and vauto mode aren’t really addressed. Moreover, it seems the S mode and vauto mode definitely function differently in their airflow. What is the difference between the two modes? Why would one chose one over another.

There are also several other settings specific to this model which could use fleshing out but, reading the clinicians manual, I really don’t have a very good understanding of when and or why you would use these settings.

Ok, I have spammed enough but I am also trying to compile a thread which covers a lot of what others might question or encounter with the unit.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2018, 01:11 PM)johnathonm Wrote: Hello there,

I am just switching over to bipap therapy after having reached a point where cpap was no longer clinically effective. I have a new machine now but was hoping for some help tweaking it a bit. I have read over the clinicians manual but am still unclear on how to optimize the settings based on the prescription.

I am set for 17 I, 14 E, ti min is set to .5 and ti max to .8 as best I could work out from the manual and am in S mode. The rise and ramp are set to medium and I have to set easy breathe to off, even though it’s helpful, as it is pumping me full of air and my stomach is unhappy.

I have the option for Vauto too but, again, outside of reading about it am not sure really what the most optimal well to begin this process would be as bipap’s are a strange new world of being bloated and golden machines.

I also have a copy of the formal sleep titration study in pdf if that would be helpful to review. I just need help. I am sleeping like crap right now and don’t know what to do.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated and thank you as always.

J

P.S. I am using the ResMed full facemask F20 and my climate line is being sent to me so at the moment I am on regular line. Huhsign

The default TiMax is 1.8, and if yours is actually set to 0.8 you will not get the benefit of pressure support you should expect.  My TiMax is at 2.2 seconds.  The correct setting depends on your respiration rate and some other factors, but I definitely recommend you change the setting to the 1.8 second default. 

Your pressure settings are very narrow at 17/14 (IPAP/EPAP). You have an auto bilevel.  I suggest you switch to Vauto mode and try the following:
EPAP min 10
EPAP max 18
PS 4.0 

This covers your current settings, but allows the machine to operate as designed in auto mode.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Weird, I stopped swallowing air when i switched from s10 auto to aircurve vauto, id assume your aerophagia is due to a maladaption of your body to having apneas for years. Try the settings recommended and in the meantime get a few packets of Simethicone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well last night was a mixed bag. I started the night with my doctors new settings and somewhere in there the hose disconnected from my cushion. I don’t know how long o laid there in twilight not getting enough air but I actually felt like I was being suffocated and even saw a man standing over me. Weird stuff,,, so I went downstairs got something to drink then came back and changed to your recommmnd settings. I slept another two or three hours but I didn’t wake up feeelimf like 100% crap so I do seee there is some good in the new settings. I will break the rules and nap at some point but so far neutral, but the air swallowing is gone which means I can get down to business of tweaking things.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2018, 08:54 PM)johnathonm Wrote: Last set of questions until I am able to gather some data

I have seen talk about replacing the memory card in these units. I was reading on ResMeds site that they are very particular about the type of memory card that can work in the unit. Does anyone in the forum have a recommendation? I saw mention of one with WiFi built in?

Two, I am suffering horrribly right now from swallowing air and this is the reason I started asking about tweaking my settings. Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with that?

Third, and I didn’t see this in the wiki, using the ResMed air curve 10 there are three options: cpap, s and vauto. Cpap is obviously covered in the wiki but the s mode and vauto mode aren’t really addressed. Moreover, it seems the S mode and vauto mode definitely function differently in their airflow. What is the difference between the two modes? Why would one chose one over another.

There are also several other settings specific to this model which could use fleshing out but, reading the clinicians manual, I really don’t have a very good understanding of when and or why you would use these settings.

Ok, I have spammed enough but I am also trying to compile a thread which covers a lot of what others might question or encounter with the unit.

Thank you...

I left some of these questions unanswered.  

Any SD memory card from 2 to 16 GB and formatted to FAT32 should work fine.  I have seen cards recycled from cameras, GPS units and other devices.

I think we can resolve your aerophagia using Vauto mode and a lower set of pressure settings.  Our first pass at that were the settings you tried last night, but once we review those results, we may be able to lower the EPAP min.  We will see.

The Aircurve 10 Vauto has the three modes you mentioned.  CPAP is fixed pressure and has EPR available which can reduce exhale pressure by 1 to 3 cm pressure.  The S-mode is fixed bilevel pressure.  This mode is by default a square-wave IPAP/EPAP transition unless you enable the feature called Easybreathe™.  Easybreathe is on by default in Vauto mode and it shapes the airflow increases and decreases to look more like a cresting wave.  The Airsense 10 Autoset use the same Easybreathe algorithm when EPR is in use.  I will attach an image below that shows how mask pressure responds to the patient flow-rate. Instead of IPAP being on and off, you can see the transitions that are there for comfort.  I should be able to clarify for you any of the other settings. Let me know what Wiki you referenced, and I can do some editing there too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4258]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello again,

Well, it's been another brutal night with the Bi-Pap. I keep having ample snacks of delicious air and am waking up for whatever reason just brutally tired. It's been several days of this now and it's really starting to put a strain on me and taking a toll on my relationship. I do not know why Bi-Pap is so much harder on me than CPAP. I am just exhausted. I do have some concrete data for you all though and am hoping someone can help me by running the data through a working copy of sleepyhead, it does not like my machine at all for some reason. I can zip up the contents of the sd card and email them over if someone is willing to help and repost. I was, however, able to get the data to run through Rescan. I am posting them here for your review and thoughts.

As for the machines current settings:

Mode: VAuto
Max IPAP: 18
Min EPAP: 10
PS: 4
Ti Max: 2.2s
Ti Min:  0.3s
Trigger: Med
Cycle: Med
Mask: Full Face ResMed F20 M
Ramp: Off
Humidity: 6
Tube: SlimLine (my ClimateLine will be here this week)
AB Filter: No

Attached please find the ResScan reports from the past several nights. Please let me know if you'd be willing to run the sd card data through a copy of sleepyhead that works.

Thank you all.

J
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 04:21 PM)johnathonm Wrote:  I do have some concrete data for you all though and am hoping someone can help me by running the data through a working copy of sleepyhead, it does not like my machine at all for some reason. I can zip up the contents of the sd card and email them over if someone is willing to help and repost. I was, however, able to get the data to run through Rescan. I am posting them here for your review and thoughts.

What is the issue with sleepyhead ?

in the sleepyhead directory on your PC there is one called SleepyHead-BrokenGL.exe does that one run any better ??
Post Reply Post Reply
Missed one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2018, 04:29 PM)jaswilliams Wrote:
(06-10-2018, 04:21 PM)johnathonm Wrote:  I do have some concrete data for you all though and am hoping someone can help me by running the data through a working copy of sleepyhead, it does not like my machine at all for some reason. I can zip up the contents of the sd card and email them over if someone is willing to help and repost. I was, however, able to get the data to run through Rescan. I am posting them here for your review and thoughts.

What is the issue with sleepyhead ?

in the sleepyhead directory on your PC there is one called SleepyHead-BrokenGL.exe does that one run any better ??

Sent you a PM with the details.

(06-10-2018, 08:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 08:54 PM)johnathonm Wrote: Last set of questions until I am able to gather some data

Thank you...

I left some of these questions unanswered.  

Any SD memory card from 2 to 16 GB and formatted to FAT32 should work fine.  I have seen cards recycled from cameras, GPS units and other devices.

I think we can resolve your aerophagia using Vauto mode and a lower set of pressure settings.  Our first pass at that were the settings you tried last night, but once we review those results, we may be able to lower the EPAP min.  We will see.

The Aircurve 10 Vauto has the three modes you mentioned.  CPAP is fixed pressure and has EPR available which can reduce exhale pressure by 1 to 3 cm pressure.  The S-mode is fixed bilevel pressure.  This mode is by default a square-wave IPAP/EPAP transition unless you enable the feature called Easybreathe™.  Easybreathe is on by default in Vauto mode and it shapes the airflow increases and decreases to look more like a cresting wave.  The Airsense 10 Autoset use the same Easybreathe algorithm when EPR is in use.  I will attach an image below that shows how mask pressure responds to the patient flow-rate. Instead of IPAP being on and off, you can see the transitions that are there for comfort.  I should be able to clarify for you any of the other settings. Let me know what Wiki you referenced, and I can do some editing there too.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4258]

Hi, I sent you a PM with the details.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 293 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 549 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,492 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 201 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 87 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.