Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 Auto versus Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series Auto
ResMed AirSense 10 Auto versus Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series Auto
I am a newly registered user, but a long-time CPAP user. I started with a Respironics REMstar Plus M Series C-Flex that did the job for me for nearly 10 years, but failed two weeks ago. The Apneaboard allowed me to procure and set-up a back-up Respironics REMstar Pro 2 C-Flex CPAP Machine on my own. I got it a few days before the M Series failed. Thanks

Insurance is covering most of a replacement for the M Series. My DME is pushing the ResMed AirSense 10 Elite CPAP Machine with a heated humidifier and hose. We also discussed the Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series with a heated humidifier and hose. (Note my DME said they had lots of trouble with the earlier System One REMStar 40? or 50? Series units. I have a couple of questions.

1. I would like to buy a machine that has future flexibility (Auto Mode), but so far I have had great success with the simple CPAP mode. Am I overthinking this? Should I just stick with a simple CPAP only machine?

2. From the forums, I see where the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine can be set into either Auto or CPAP mode. Does anyone know if the Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series Auto Machine can also be set into simple CPAP mode? Or is this an Auto machine only?

3. I would like to gather anyone's experience concerning differences, advantages or disadvantages of the two platforms (ResMed AirSense 10 versus Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series). I see some info about the recalls and firmware updates for the ResMed, but I don't see much discussion about the REMStar 60 Series. Which one would you get?Dont-know

TIA for your responses!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto versus Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series Auto
Hello Elephant,
Welcome to Apnea Board.

I use the PR System One 560 Auto and yes it can be put in CPAP mode if you prefer.

Here is a link that our very own Archangle has put together. It will help you choose a machine and which ones to avoid.

A lot of folk here use the ResMed AirSense 10 Auto CPAP, so I'm sure you will hear from many. The two machines are top of the line and comparable.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto versus Respironics System One REMStar 60 Series Auto
Hi Elephant and welcome

Both machines are quite similar, can be used as straight CPAP or auto-adjusting mode (also apply to any APAP machine), the same cannot be said about straight CPAP machine. SleepyHead software support both machines, the information shown on SleepyHead is far more comprehensive and useful than what you ever get from AirView, Cloud, or SleepMapper. Algorthim might be different but hard tell, whether you're better served with ResMed or Resprioncis machine. I tend to stick with ResMed brand, not because its better but rather that what I'm familiar with when first diagnosed with sleep apnea few years ago ... Good Luck

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Elephant,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Resmed and Respironics machines are both comparable.
Good luck to you on your machine decision and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely get the high end auto machine. If you keep this one as long as your last one you will be glad for the versatility. A CPAP only machine will probably be obsolete soon(we hope).

Those of us who keep our PAPs and cars forever have to reach for leading edge models. Smile

if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no experience with the resmed a10, but I just switched the Phillips auto 60 series, and for me it's a night and day difference. The resmed was a lot more aggressive with to algorithm, while the PR machine was a lot gentler. I'm definitely sleeping better with the 60 series, but YMMV.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Respironics are just about to release a new machine to replace the 60 series. A Dream something or other. It looks good from what I've seen. May be worth waiting until that's out?
Something unknown is doing we don't know what.
(Professor Sir Arthur Eddington, astrophysicist)
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2015, 07:15 PM)swaziman Wrote: I think Respironics are just about to release a new machine to replace the 60 series. A Dream something or other. It looks good from what I've seen. May be worth waiting until that's out?

And would you mind posting a link to where you have seen it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all for your very quick replies. This is certainly an active community! You are all giving me the additional confidence to stick to the opinions I have developed by reading apneaboard content. Archangel's personal post - "Machine Choices" is exceptionally valuable! Thanks for the link OpalRose. I never would have found it on my own. I echo the opinion that us patients need to actively manage our own treatment. Doctors and DMEs don't know/care and may have other motivations.

Thank you truetopath for sharing your experience. I'm now leaning a little more towards the PRS1-560 due to your comment about being less aggressive. I also like the Respironics standatd of 12V DC power (for camping) and the Respironics brochure statement that "...the risk of water ingress into the device is virtually eliminated. A filled water chamber may be tilted and even turned upside down without leaking back into the device." Any user comments on this? (I think water killed my M-Series.)

Thank you swaziman for the heads-up on the new model coming out. Are there more posts on the PR-DreamStation's features, format, and innovations? I'm not sure I want to experience the hassles of being an early adopter of a newly released platform. But maybe...?

Happy dreams to you all!
Post Reply Post Reply
Had a look at the Dreamstation's manual (managed to get a draft copy) but I can find no other literature from Philips - their website, even in the Nederland does not acknowledge the existence of it, although it is as of mid July for sale. Colour - a palid, rather disturbing white, smaller and longer than the old System One design, not much else - the manual does not indicate much to tell me of nay real improvements over the last PRS60, except the screen and knob have been moved to the front and the screen is now colour, but looks rather unhelpful in comparison to the System One screens.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 357 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,604 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,062 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,597 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.