Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
Hi aenpa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 10:51 AM)aenpa Wrote: Which wireless SD card would you recommend?

I've had good luck with the Toshiba Flash Air III 16GB (PFW016U-1CCW).

(03-18-2016, 08:44 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Be careful with that EPR. It should be set to the lowest one feels comfortable with. It lowers pressure during exhale. In some cases, it may allow the airway to close and cause an apnea event. For somebody new to treatment, 3 may be good place to start so one can get used to the machine. Than, lower settings should be tried and data monitored for changes in the efficacy.

Good point. Thanks.

The P10 mask seems to have such a small amount of venting, a minimum EPR is probably needed for comfort.

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 08:23 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: The P10 mask seems to have such a small amount of venting, a minimum EPR is probably needed for comfort.

check the specs in the back of the p10 manual, it vents as much air as any other mask.

it just does it in a diffused waft as opposed to a hard stream, so it's much less objectionable.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 08:31 PM)palerider Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 08:23 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: The P10 mask seems to have such a small amount of venting, a minimum EPR is probably needed for comfort.

check the specs in the back of the p10 manual, it vents as much air as any other mask.

it just does it in a diffused waft as opposed to a hard stream, so it's much less objectionable.

"seems" as in "feels like" is what I meant. At least to me.

I do like the diffuser. The P10 is the best mask I used in 15 years, but it feels a little stuffy to me (which is helped by the EPR).

Could just be me.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 08:23 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: >>>>>>

The P10 mask seems to have such a small amount of venting, a minimum EPR is probably needed for comfort.

EPR or Flex is nothing more than reduction of pressure one is exhaling against. That has nothing to do with normal mask venting. Even if you would plug the vents completely, the machine would maintain the set pressure / pressure relief... well at least until it would sense that there is no airflow.
In any case, all masks have to provide enough venting to allow enough exhausted CO2 to be replaced by fresh air. That's what venting is for. Nothing to do with EPR.
On the other hand, the PAP treatment have everything to do with maintaining higher pressure inside the airway than in the surrounding environment. The pressure is what keeps the airway inflated like a balloon and open. EPR lowers that pressure during exhale. It is less critical portion of the breathing cycle yet, it is still important.

Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree, the P10 is a good mask. Compared to some other nasal pillow masks, you can't beat the diffuser on the P10.

As far as the stuffy feeling, sometimes it can be helped by using one size larger pillow.
And EPR does help.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 09:07 PM)GPSMapNut Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 08:23 PM)sdb7802 Wrote: >>>>>>

Regardless of venting, EPR or Flex is nothing more than reduction of pressure one is exhaling against.
In any case, all masks have to provide enough venting to allow enough exhausted CO2 to be replaced by fresh air. Nothing to do with EPR.
On the other hand, the PAP treatment have everything to do with maintaining higher pressure inside the airway than in the surrounding environment. The pressure is what keeps the airway inflated like a balloon and open. EPR lowers that pressure during exhale. It is less critical portion of the breathing cycle yet, it is still important.

Just talking about comfort (for me).
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 09:09 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Agree, the P10 is a good mask. Compared to some other nasal pillow masks, you can't beat the diffuser on the P10.

As far as the stuffy feeling, sometimes it can be helped by using one size larger pillow.
And EPR does help.

Good idea, OpalRose.

I'll see if I can use a larger pillow.

Thanks,
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the A10 and the PRS1 560. My understanding is the Dreamstation is largely the PRS1 with a new body but happy to be corrected. In my instance I used the A10 for the first 11mths of treatment. Its algorithm is such that its more aggressive in stamping out apneas than the PRS1 (qualification: "in my experience"). The downside I found with this that the rapidly changing pressure would be a catalyst for large leaks out of the P10 (really more through my mouth). In addition I tended to suffer from aerophagia. Typically my AHI would be 0.2-1.0 max.Also I found the EPR (setting at 1) to feel very natural and comfortable. The downside of this is that after a number of months of use my mouth leaks increased.

On the other hand using the same mask (P10) with the PRS1 I found the blower would typically treat me to an AHI of 0.2-3.0 max which is slightly higher than the A10 as it didn't/doesn't seem to respond as rapidly to evolving events. Given they also report different things the other incidents noted cannot really be compared. I found the PR1 was not as aggressive in responding but whereas the A10 would happily shoot up to 14 to quell emerging apneas the PRS1 has barely broken above 11. The upside of this is I no longer get aerophagia and my max leaks are never an issue and below 12ltrs. Also, while using the A10 I might have had a lower AHI I would sometimes not feel that great the next day (albeit my large leaks have never broken greater than 1.5%)

As a negative to the PRS1 I have found the flex A (setting of 1) to not be as nearly as natural and easy as the A10. Perversely I think the PRS1's Flex setting while not as relaxing or comfortable as the A10 is in some way helping me not mouth breath.

So, assuming the Dreamstation is the same algorithm as the PRS1 I would recommend either getting the Dreamstation or the A10 "for her" model that apparently has a softer algorithm that maybe gets closer to the PRS1/Dreamstation. Again, this is just from my experience and as is the case with masks, you need to find the equipment that works for you and not everyone will be the same.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 08:54 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 08:31 PM)palerider Wrote:

"seems" as in "feels like" is what I meant. At least to me.

I do like the diffuser. The P10 is the best mask I used in 15 years, but it feels a little stuffy to me (which is helped by the EPR).
I'm just clarifying that it really does (as hard as it may be to believe) vent as much as other masks... about 20lpm at 4cm pressure up to about 50lpm at 20cm pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 20 367 4 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,724 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 109 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 70 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,042 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 837 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 167 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.