Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
Folks,

I'm a CPAP novice. Fortunately I just found your website and want to thank all of you for providing such a treasure of information!

I've recently had a sleep study and been diagnosed with OSA (AHI = 26.6). For the past month, I've used a rental ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her with a ResMed AirFit P10 nasal pillow mask. When I was able to use the machine, my AHI decreased to 1.4, which seems to be a very good number.

However, frequently I had trouble getting enough air through the nasal pillow mask, particularly at the beginning of the night. I turned off the ramp, and that helped a bit (the minimum pressure was 4, I think). But sometimes I just had to stop, take off the mask, and breathe. I probably averaged about 4 hours a night on the machine.

Last week my sleep doc looked over the results and gave me a prescription for 6-10. I asked her if I should switch to a different mask, but she said the higher minimum would help the breathing and I should stay with the nasal pillow. And she suggested I choose between two different machines:

* ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet
* Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP with heated humidifier

I've read a couple of hundred postings here today, and there are recommendations on both sides of that decision. Some folks suggested that the different machine's algorithms for exhalation pressure relief and ramping result in a different "feel," and that subjectivity makes all the difference. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try the DreamStation. Some people said that the DreamStation was more configurable, so if a parameter was problematic, that could be fixed Other people suggested that either machine would be a fine choice. Apparently both machines are/will be supported by SleepyHead, so that distinction is or will be gone.

So any last words of advice in choosing between those two? Thanks!

Regards,
aenpa
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
Nice palindrome for your username...
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2016, 10:03 PM)justMongo Wrote: Nice palindrome for your username...

Nope, not a palindrome aenpa is just "apnea" spelled backwards, but a palindrome must the completely reversible. "aenpnea" is a palindrome.

This has been your regularly scheduled daily buzz kill.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Will somebody give some advice, please?

My nickel's worth: The EPR on the Resmed machines is very effective, and changing the ramp start pressure can alleviate the suffocating feeling at the start. Oh, and all AirSense models have the heated humidifier, and you should get the heated tubing whatever machine you get. I'm biased, of course, having never had a DreamStation for comparison.

Sorry about the price, but we have no pennies here, and free advice is worth what you pay. At least I didn't want two bits.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd go with the A10 autoset and ask your doc to bump your pressure to at least 8-15 to allow the APAP to work.

Also, EPR = 3, Essentials = Plus, heated tube, and hose wrap.

I'd also get a wireless sd card and use SleepyHead to monitor your treatment.

I haven't tried the DreamStation, but have used many others. I really like the A10.

Steve
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2016, 11:14 PM)pholynyk Wrote: Will somebody give some advice, please?

My nickel's worth: The EPR on the Resmed machines is very effective, and changing the ramp start pressure can alleviate the suffocating feeling at the start. Oh, and all AirSense models have the heated humidifier, and you should get the heated tubing whatever machine you get. I'm biased, of course, having never had a DreamStation for comparison.

Sorry about the price, but we have no pennies here, and free advice is worth what you pay. At least I didn't want two bits.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I wasn't thinking about the heated tubing, but I'll be sure to do that.

Regards,
aenpa

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 12:11 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: I'd go with the A10 autoset and ask your doc to bump your pressure to at least 8-15 to allow the APAP to work.

I haven't tried the DreamStation, but have used many others. I really like the A10.

Steve

Thanks!

Hadn't thought about hose wrap or a wireless SD card. I'll go looking for instructions for that on SleepyHead.

Regards,
aenpa
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 12:11 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: >>>>>

Steve

I'm using DreamStation and I'm happy with it.

Be careful with that EPR. It should be set to the lowest one feels comfortable with. It lowers pressure during exhale. In some cases, it may allow the airway to close and cause an apnea event. For somebody new to treatment, 3 may be good place to start so one can get used to the machine. Than, lower settings should be tried and data monitored for changes in the efficacy.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 12:11 AM)sdb7802 Wrote: I'd also get a wireless sd card and use SleepyHead to monitor your treatment.

Which wireless SD card would you recommend?

Regards,
aenpa

(03-18-2016, 08:44 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: I'm using DreamStation and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the note. As a DreamStation user, do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the two machines? Thanks.

Regards,
aenpa

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 10:51 AM)aenpa Wrote: >>>>>>>

Thanks for the note. As a DreamStation user, do you have any thoughts on the comparison between the two machines? Thanks.

Regards,
aenpa

Not direct - I haven't used A10. I have used S9 (?) and definitely prefer Respironics' C-Flex and A-Flex over Resmed's EPR.
To me, the fact that DreamStation runs directly of 12VDC was an important advantage over Resmed's machines. If you never go off the grid, it's non issue.
Also, coming from CPAP to APAP, (I think) I'm enjoying the gentle, progressive changes DreamStation makes in pressure settings. Would more rapid changes in adjustments (as in Resmed machines) be disturbing to me as they are to some? I don't know and don't feel a need to find out. All I know is that the DS is working for me. Not sure if it would work for you. One thing I know; you will never know for sure which of these machines is better for You, unless you try both machines. Find out from your DME if you can get a week loaner of one and than the other.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 52 1,383 Yesterday, 02:22 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 128 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,643 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,943 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 130 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Resmed Aircurve 11 V-Auto URGENT HELP Keesh23 10 251 04-06-2024, 08:23 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 224 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.