Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP
(03-18-2016, 10:02 PM)Dafod Wrote: I have the A10 and the PRS1 560. My understanding is the Dreamstation is largely the PRS1 with a new body but happy to be corrected. In my instance I used the A10 for the first 11mths of treatment. Its algorithm is such that its more aggressive in stamping out apneas than the PRS1 (qualification: "in my experience"). The downside I found with this that the rapidly changing pressure would be a catalyst for large leaks out of the P10 (really more through my mouth). In addition I tended to suffer from aerophagia. Typically my AHI would be 0.2-1.0 max.Also I found the EPR (setting at 1) to feel very natural and comfortable. The downside of this is that after a number of months of use my mouth leaks increased.

On the other hand using the same mask (P10) with the PRS1 I found the blower would typically treat me to an AHI of 0.2-3.0 max which is slightly higher than the A10 as it didn't/doesn't seem to respond as rapidly to evolving events. Given they also report different things the other incidents noted cannot really be compared. I found the PR1 was not as aggressive in responding but whereas the A10 would happily shoot up to 14 to quell emerging apneas the PRS1 has barely broken above 11. The upside of this is I no longer get aerophagia and my max leaks are never an issue and below 12ltrs. Also, while using the A10 I might have had a lower AHI I would sometimes not feel that great the next day (albeit my large leaks have never broken greater than 1.5%)

As a negative to the PRS1 I have found the flex A (setting of 1) to not be as nearly as natural and easy as the A10. Perversely I think the PRS1's Flex setting while not as relaxing or comfortable as the A10 is in some way helping me not mouth breath.

So, assuming the Dreamstation is the same algorithm as the PRS1 I would recommend either getting the Dreamstation or the A10 "for her" model that apparently has a softer algorithm that maybe gets closer to the PRS1/Dreamstation. Again, this is just from my experience and as is the case with masks, you need to find the equipment that works for you and not everyone will be the same.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had the A10 "for her" model in my one month trial, and as I said in my first posting, other than finding it difficult to get enough air on inhalation, I had a major AHI improvement. The also doc told me that I was getting a good seal on the P10 mask, however I don't know if that means I wasn't having mouth leaks.

Regards,
aenpa
(03-18-2016, 02:41 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi aenpa,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.

Thank you!

Regards,
aenpa
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 11:44 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Not direct - I haven't used A10. I have used S9 (?) and definitely prefer Respironics' C-Flex and A-Flex over Resmed's EPR.

Could you elaborate on why you prefer Respironics C-Flex and A-Flex over Resmed's EPR?

Thanks.

Regards,
aenpa
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 08:23 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 10:51 AM)aenpa Wrote: Which wireless SD card would you recommend?

I've had good luck with the Toshiba Flash Air III 16GB (PFW016U-1CCW).

Is the access point created by the wireless SD card always on, or do you have to do something to make it go on?

Regards,
aenpa
Post Reply Post Reply
You use an app on your PC such as SleepMaster and it can help configure the card to station mode so it's always broadcasting. It will also down load the files for sleepyhead. I had another SD card in a PC it runs from which then makes it easier with Sleepyhead as its looking for an SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 11:04 PM)aenpa Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 11:44 AM)GPSMapNut Wrote: Not direct - I haven't used A10. I have used S9 (?) and definitely prefer Respironics' C-Flex and A-Flex over Resmed's EPR.

Could you elaborate on why you prefer Respironics C-Flex and A-Flex over Resmed's EPR?

Thanks.

Regards,
aenpa
It's very subjective. I used to use an old PR machine with C-Flex. When it crapped out, I used S9 set to the same pressure. It was OK but, it was not as comfortable. Than, I got the DreamStation and found it's A-Flex to be very natural even at the lowest setting.
Everything I post on this board is nothing more than an opinion expressed by an apneak. Normally, it's based on facts and experience but sometimes, I may get things wrong or not have all the facts.
I reserve the right to change my mind. Why? Because tomorrow I may know better.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 10:40 PM)palerider Wrote: I'm just clarifying that it really does (as hard as it may be to believe) vent as much as other masks... about 20lpm at 4cm pressure up to about 50lpm at 20cm pressure.

Roger that, PaleRider.

BTW, great job on SleepyHead.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is my first post.

I have had the pleasure of using BOTH of these machines in the last couple of months. I wanted to upgrade to an auto machine from my fixed ICON machine and managed to get an S10 loaner for two weeks. I LOVED it. My AHI went from above 5 to well below 5 and I had a better two weeks of sleep that I have had in years. My old fixed pressure was 8 and the S10 told me that my 95% pressure should have been more like 13-14.

After giving the S10 loaner back I tried setting my ICON to 14 and did NOT get a better result than the old setting of 8. To make a long story short(er) I experimented til I found the fixed pressure that gave me the best AHI. That turned out to be 10. After some time at 10 I became fully convinced that a new auto CPAP was what I really wanted/needed. After much research I decided to take a bit of a chance and buy the Dreamstation.

I LOVE the Dreamstation. Now I can hear people asking, "Which one do I LOVE more?". My answer is necessarily subjective but I would have to say that the Dreamstation is ever so slightly better, (For me), than the S10. My subjective, "Feel", for the Dreamstation is that it is a little kinder and gentler than the S10 and I get a really good sleep and good numbers with it. The only bad thing I can say is that I seem to breath through my mouth a little more with the Dreamstation than with the S10, (My 90% pressure with Dreamstation is only 8.5). (I use a Simplus full face mask- and used it with both machines).

My opinion: Both amazing machines and not a lot to differentiate them. S10 a little more aggressive and Dreamstation a little more gentle. Get the humidifier, heated hose, and hose wrap of course.

I welcome more specific questions about my experience.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 11:07 PM)aenpa Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 08:23 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 10:51 AM)aenpa Wrote: Which wireless SD card would you recommend?

I've had good luck with the Toshiba Flash Air III 16GB (PFW016U-1CCW).

Is the access point created by the wireless SD card always on, or do you have to do something to make it go on?

Regards,
aenpa

You have to go into the non-clinical settings and switch it on and then pair with your phone.

I have the dreamstation and love it. And now that you have Sleepyhead for it, not really any reason not to get it IMO.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a relative novice here. Used Respironics for 1.5 yrs and it did nothing. Stopped for 2 yrs, and now just started again.

I didn't know that I could set the pressure myself or that I could tell what my readings are. Since my doctors are impossible to reach, I'd like to make some adjustments. I've used it for a few days again recently, and again - NOTHING. I feel just as tired when I wake up in the am as I did when I went to sleep.

Any help/suggestions/ etc would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2016, 06:33 PM)Sybil456 Wrote: I'm a relative novice here. Used Respironics for 1.5 yrs and it did nothing. Stopped for 2 yrs, and now just started again.

I didn't know that I could set the pressure myself or that I could tell what my readings are. Since my doctors are impossible to reach, I'd like to make some adjustments. I've used it for a few days again recently, and again - NOTHING. I feel just as tired when I wake up in the am as I did when I went to sleep.

Any help/suggestions/ etc would be greatly appreciated.

Sybil456, Welcome to Apnea Board!
First, fill out your profile with exact machine make and model. Ok, I see under mask you list Cpap pro. This way we can tell if it's capable of supplying data. Then download Sleepyhead software:
http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

Can you tell us what your AHI is, and your current pressure?

We are limited in advising you on changing pressures without knowing a little more.

Order the Clinicians manual for your machine:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

I'm sure that your discomfort and tiredness is a matter of an adjustment to pressure, or a comfort setting, but again, provide us with more information.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 491 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,842 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 124 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 71 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 844 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 169 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.