Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Flow Limitation number during Obstructive Apnea events
ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Flow Limitation number during Obstructive Apnea events
Hello,

I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset equipment and I am using Rescan and Oscar softwares to follow up my therapy.
Since several years I have noticed that my machine is reporting correct numbers (between 0 and 0.5) for Hypopnea events (normal), but I have also noticed that for Obstructive Apnea events the Flow Limitation numbers reported by the machine is 0 while I am expecting something between 0.5 and 1. I don't understand that so I asked the question to my DME and to my doctor but they were unable to give me an explanation. I tried to get in touch with ResMed Support Team in France but they told me they cannot handle directly end users (patients) requests.
Is Flow Limitation only applicable to Hypopnea events ? If not then why I don't see a coherent Flow Limitation number during my Obstructive Apneas ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Flow Limitation number during Obstructive Apnea events
Welcome to the Apnea Board,

There's a weakest to strongest progression in place, from Flow Limits to Hypopnea to Apnea. Hypopnea and Apnea are defined as at least 10 seconds and will have individual, specific event flags. Flow Limits are not timed and are not necessarily individual, specific events. If you look at OSCAR, your flow limit chart can have activity spanning your whole night's sleep session.

Your AutoSet has a great tool that combats the Flow Limits. If the flow limits need addressed, the chart will look like shaggy grass. So to lower these? Raise your minimum pressure to 7 and enable EPR to full time 3. See how that works.

If you'd rather, show us a recent OSCAR shot before you try this edit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset Flow Limitation number during Obstructive Apnea events
mhireche,
It's not likely you'd receive help or an answer from your DME or ResMed.

You'll receive the best response here by posting a Screenshot of your data.
Be sure you have an SD card in your machine. Download the OSCAR software, and then follow the links below in my signature line to guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you zoom in on the flow rate for an obstructive apnea event, you'll see that after you exhale, your flow rate is at zero for ten seconds or longer. In other words, you are not able to start inhaling for your next breath.

If you zoom in on the flow rate for flow limitations, you will see that they flag certain contours in the trace for your inhalation. Often you will see a plateau at the top of the trace, or a bump or a dent, instead of a nice rounded curve. (The algorithm does not pick up all flow limitations, by the way.) These reflect interference with smooth inhalation, most likely due to a little relaxation in the tissues lining your airway. Your inhalation becomes more effortful.

So, the short version is: OA, no inhalation; FL, more effort for inhalation.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 14 415 1 hour ago
Last Post: BigWing
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 498 7 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 46 10 hours ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 101 Yesterday, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 267 Yesterday, 02:18 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,863 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.