Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Airsense 10 noticeable noise
Sad 
ResMed Airsense 10 noticeable noise
Hi all -- new to CPAP, just starting using the ResMed Airsense 10 Auto with ResMed AirSet N10 from Apria.  

I have 2 concerns:
1) I can hear the device making sounds.  Some on this board say theirs is whisper quiet, but mine definitely is not!  Especially noticeable when it is reacting to my breathing.  I tried turning off the Pressure Relief, but it's still very noticeable.  Here are two sound clips, and I don't know if my machine is defective.

Soundclip #1: https://clyp.it/jrwqlqfq
Soundclip #2: https://clyp.it/nacanr0f 

2) Probably not a problem ,but is it normal to feel air coming out in front of the nasal mask?  I take that is normal?

Thanks!
-Ethan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 10 noticeable noise
Welcome!  Those noises sound normal to me.  These machines are quiet, not silent.  You will quickly get used to the sound.

The air coming from the front of the mask is the exhaust.  Part of that is what you exhale.  If it stops coming out, you die.   Grin  Or at least get a collassal headache. Some masks are louder than others.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2017, 02:35 PM)hungrycactus Wrote: I have 2 concerns:
1) I can hear the device making sounds.  Some on this board say theirs is whisper quiet, but mine definitely is not!  Especially noticeable when it is reacting to my breathing.  I tried turning off the Pressure Relief, but it's still very noticeable.  Here are two sound clips, and I don't know if my machine is defective.

2) Probably not a problem ,but is it normal to feel air coming out in front of the nasal mask?  I take that is normal?

Mine is a lot quieter. In the beginning I had some additional noise, but it was quickly corrected by seating the humidifier tub securely. I would also check hose connections and the hose for leakage, check there is nothing interfering with the filter, and as previously stated, check the mask for added noise. Your tech at Apria should be notified -- if for no other reason than to document an issue.

Download and install #SleepyHead or ResScan and look at the breathing pattern and leaks.

Best of luck with your tomorrow.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-07-2017, 02:35 PM)hungrycactus Wrote: 1) I can hear the device making sounds.  Some on this board say theirs is whisper quiet, but mine definitely is not!  Especially noticeable when it is reacting to my breathing.  I tried turning off the Pressure Relief, but it's still very noticeable.  Here are two sound clips, and I don't know if my machine is defective.

Soundclip #1: https://clyp.it/jrwqlqfq
Soundclip #2: https://clyp.it/nacanr0f

It is not whisper quiet, but I have never been bothered by it.  It is very difficult to comment on your recordings because how you place the microphone and how each of us listens to them, for instance over laptop speakers versus full headphones greatly affects what we hear, which may be much different than what you hear laying next to it.

Listening to your recordings through my headphones makes it sound louder than what I am used to, but in person it might be normal.  On the second recording I hear low frequency pulsing, which you should only hear on occasion as the machine is making an adjustments or had just been turned off.  At least that's the only time I ever heard it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hungrycactus,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary but hang in there for more ideas. You might let your DME, )Durable Medical Equipment,) company know about your concern.

Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
They sound like they are on the quiet side but hard to tell listening to a sound clip. In the quiet of the night, its a different story. I have been complaining that my Elite is as loud as hell in comparison to the Autoset rentals I have used. I am on my third replacement and it's still bad. Last week I tested an Elite rental machine side by side with my Elite machine and the difference was very noticeable (both at start up pressure and set pressure). I am still waiting to here back from my supplier. To quell the disturbance abit I have resorted to placing my machine in the draw of my bedside table.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dear friend:

I have noticed the same with mine. What I tried successfully is to place my finger 2 or 3 seconds in the air release hole that is in the tube that connects the air hose to the mask. It seems there is a kind of diafragma that loses its place, but when blocking air release with finger it resets. In the end I think it is a defective engineered product and would like to be advised of one good mask who doesn't need me to wake up and reset the mask during sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had my Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset since January 11. After listening to your sound clips, mine sounded like that on a few occasions in the first two weeks. However I no longer hear it. Not sure if it has gotten quieter or my ears have become numb to the sound. My wife, bionic ears, has not said a word so it passes that test for me.

I hope the sound subsides for you to a usable level.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, 
I am renting my second F10. The first one was brilliant for about a week and a half, then after I had slept for about five hours it would make a very loud whining noise in time with my breathing. I took it back to the rental place and they swapped it for another one which does the exact same thing. The noise seems to come from the left hand side of the machine where the air pump is.
The filter is new so there's not much I can do but return this one also. I have tried putting it on the floor but it is so loud it makes no difference.
There are a few posts about noise from this model, both here and on other sites. But never about the previous F9 so I wonder what changed and what Resmed are doing about it. My rental plan is supposed to be a "try before you buy" deal but I won't be buying one of these.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,738 27 minutes ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,263 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 614 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,605 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 89 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,771 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.