Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
My health provider just sent me an Airsense 11 to replace my recalled Philips Respironics CPAP and I tried the Airsense last night for the first time. I like it! But it means buying a whole new set of accessories like filters, heated hose, and so on.

Most important of those accessories is figuring out a battery backup for the Airsense. I have a Maxoak that's worked very well with my Philips CPAP, running for four nights if necessary on a single charge. But the Airsense 11 has a new gnarly proprietary (I'm guessing) DC power port that won't accept any of the power adapters with my battery backup. Googling doesn't reveal any battery backups that will work. I hope that changes, but thought I'd check here to see if anyone's had any luck finding a battery backup for the Airsense 11.

In the meantime, I can always revert to the Philips CPAP during a power outage if necessary, so it's not urgent as long as you don't mind breathing suspect Philips air. But I would like to be able to use the Resmed CPAP on battery power when camping.

Thanks for any info about Resmed's new power port.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
Without the AS11 having multiple power supplies like S9, I find it rather cost ineffective and odd to pay for tooling to make a proprietary power plug. Is there anyway to obtain some good photos of the plug? Also, what are the spec on the Resmed power supply>
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've attached a photo of the Airsense 11 plug and port. You can see that it looks something like a USB plug: multiple contact beyond just the negative and positive standard for most power supply plugs.

Sorry, I forgot the specs: it's a 65-watt power supply with 24V DC output.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
That doesn't look like a proprietary plug to me, but the wiring sure will be unusual!... It looks like a standard HDMI plug to me.
I think Adafruit may have a breakout for both plug and socket...

Golly, maybe they put a line frequency signal on the plug so the clock can keep time...
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The post above totally stated my thoughts.   What I find interesting is both the S9 with a humidifier power supply and the AS10's was a 24v/90 watt output unit, whereas this is using only a 65 watt supply.   I wonder how they achieved such reduction in their power requirement.

Slight topic slide:  While looking to see if Resmed was offering a ClimateLine hose (now called, a ClimateLineAir 11) for the AS11,  I came across this on their website.
Quote:Please note:
ResMed AirSense 11 is currently available only in the United States and is subject to availability.

AirSense 11 will not be authorized for Internet sales or advertising until further notice
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Similar to HDMI, but definitely not the same: no grooved bevels on each side, and far fewer internal contacts. As for getting date and time, my assumption would be that the unit gets them when connected to cell service, but that's just an assumption based on absolutely no concrete facts.

If this plug is a standard plug (of some kind), it would be great to get a label on it to figure it out. In the meantime, it reminds me of the old saw: "The great thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."
Post Reply Post Reply
As for the slight topic slide, I'm definitely finding out that I'm on the bleeding edge with this Airsense 11. There's almost no info on the internet, you can't find any place (including ResMed) where you can order filters or a heater hose (I'm hoping the Airsense 10 hose will work), and there's supposed to be (according to the manual) a placeholder for the water chamber to make the CPAP unit work without the chamber. No info anywhere about it.

I usually let someone else be the bleeding edge, but in this case the Airsense 11 is what showed up after my health care provider put in an order. So here I am, bleeding, asking for advice.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
About the ClimateLine heated hose; Their webpage distinctly specifies that the hose connector is unique to each model and will not interchange with the other models. Here is the link to the page where I'm getting my information, https://www.resmed.com/en-us/healthcare-...cessories/.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
I read somewhere that the EU is planning to introduce legislation that somehow forces manufacturers to use proprietary plugs and sockets for all devices. I think they were taking aim at Apple, but maybe any such legislation will cover other electronics too.

Being the EU however, the rules will cover 300 pages and still allow enough wriggle room to render it useless. I like the principle though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, the EU legislation is cell phone charging if I remember right, an arena where Apple has been notorious for using non-standard (or least non-standard outside the Apple universe) charging connectors. The EU legislation specifies USB C connectors for cell phones; Apple complained that it inhibits "innovation."

Thanks for the link to the heated hose for the Airsense 11. I was unable to plumb far enough into the depths of the ResMed website to find it. Looks like I won't be ordering it for a while, since I'm not sure where I'd buy it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 447 19 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,808 5 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 107 6 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,616 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,824 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.