Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
RE: ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
Best guess is the voltage (using older battery) is dropping below 11.4V under load, which is where the AirMini DC-to-DC Converter shuts down. An older battery may still have capacity for other devices, but if it drops below 11.4V under load then the AirMini adapter will shutdown.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2022, 09:11 PM)ScottZZZ Wrote: Best guess is the voltage (using older battery) is dropping below 11.4V under load, which is where the AirMini DC-to-DC Converter shuts down. An older battery may still have capacity for other devices, but if it drops below 11.4V under load then the AirMini adapter will shutdown.

Electrical mystery. First of all, the good news. In my at-home experiment, I have just gotten through 4 nights in a row with my cpap powered by the airmini dc to dc converter and a 100 amp hour deep cycle marine battery. If it lasts another night, the battery will get me through my 5 nights of camping coming up in early June in the Cal Redwoods.

Here's the mystery. If I first attach the clips to the battery and plug the converter into the cpap secondly, the light goes out on the converter and the cpap does not go on. BUT, if I plug the converter into the cpap first, and secondly attach the clips to the battery, the cpap works. Why would that be? (This could be the reason that some folks think the airmini adapter won't work. FYI for you here in this post).
Post Reply Post Reply
@davidgr

Very interesting finding -- and very strange.  No idea why the connection order would matter.

For what it is worth, the converter's User Manual DOES specify connecting the cpap to the converter first, and then connecting the converter to power.  So maybe what you are seeing is by design (but I still have no idea why).

When I get a chance, I will do some testing to see if my converter & cpap behave the same as you describe for yours.  I am normally using mine in conjunction with a power supply, sort of like a UPS for power outages, so both ends are already connected when switching to battery. The few times I have used it on battery alone, I don't remember which side I connected first. 

In any case -- Good to hear you found a way to make it work reliably and get the runtime you need for your trip!
Post Reply Post Reply
@davidgr

I tested my setup last night to see if the connection sequence made any difference.

I connected the converter to the battery first, then connected the AS11. It booted up normally (splash screen, then reading SD, then main menu). Started up the AS11 (with humidifier and heated hose active) and it ran fine.

I repeated that twice more, leaving the AS11 disconnected for about 30 seconds each time. No problems, it booted up fine and the converter's LED stayed green each time. Then I tried the opposite sequence, connecting the AS11 to the converter first and then connecting the converter to the battery. No problems with that sequence either.

Not sure why yours and mine would act differently in this regard. My battery was fully charged (gel cell, 13.5V), so voltage may still be in play if your battery's voltage curve reacts a little differently when the AS11 starts. But with a sample size of (2), it's hard to draw any conclusions.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2022, 11:59 AM)ScottZZZ Wrote: @davidgr

I tested my setup last night to see if the connection sequence made any difference.  

I connected the converter to the battery first, then connected the AS11.  It booted up normally (splash screen, then reading SD, then main menu).  Started up the AS11 (with humidifier and heated hose active) and it ran fine.

I repeated that twice more, leaving the AS11 disconnected for about 30 seconds each time.  No problems, it booted up fine and the converter's LED stayed green each time.  Then I tried the opposite sequence, connecting the AS11 to the converter first and then connecting the converter to the battery.  No problems with that sequence either.

Not sure why yours and mine would act differently in this regard.  My battery was fully charged (gel cell, 13.5V), so voltage may still be in play if your battery's voltage curve reacts a little differently when the AS11 starts.  But with a sample size of (2), it's hard to draw any conclusions.

Good question, and interesting result for you as compared to my experiment.  Observation: The battery I used is my old one. That battery was used once per summer for several years and hardly charged in between. (Yes. I really need to camp at least twice per summer). Clue? When my AS11 starts, the little screen has normal brightness for one half second and then the brightness halves. Everything else works normally. Note: I have not been using the heated hose or humidification.

I get back to you with the new experiment; use of the new deep cycle battery I purchased recently. Perhaps that one will behave differently. Meanwhile, I want to see how many nights the old battery actually gets me through. So far, 5 full nights. Not looking forward to the moment in the middle of the night that I realize I'm not breathing, but I'm willing to sacrifice myself (so to speak) for science. : >)
Post Reply Post Reply
I have just purchased an Aimtom battery with these specs:

155 Watt-hours, 42000mAh
3x USB Outputs: 5V/2.1A (Max)
3x DC Outputs: 9~12.6V/10A, (15A Max)
AC Output: AC100V~120V, 50Hz/60Hz, 100W Rated, 150W Peak
Battery Type: Lithium-iON
Input Recharging Adapter: DC15V/2A

I also bought the Airmini DC adapter to use with my Airsense 11. I haven't tried it yet, but hoping that it will be able to handle the load. Electricity might as well be pure magic as far as I'm concerned, so I have not idea whether this battery will give me enough to get through a night or a couple of nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a 299 watt hr lipo battery pack with dc to dc coveter cord and get 4 nights @ 8 hrs per night use with my Resmed a10 with humidifier off.
Post Reply Post Reply
So who is the low cost supplier of the DC-DC power brick for the A11? I own one for the S9 and A10. I have a 2800 watt Honda inverter generator in a little frame in the garage but I’d like backup for the backup. The power bricks for the 9 and 10 were both pretty expensive.

My AGM wheelchair/scooter battery is now 7 1/2 years old. I top it up with a Battery Tender Junior a few times per year. I have an unheated hose and turn the humidifier off.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2022, 12:13 PM)jpthuot03 Wrote: I have just purchased an Aimtom battery with these specs:

155 Watt-hours, 42000mAh
3x USB Outputs: 5V/2.1A (Max)
3x DC Outputs: 9~12.6V/10A, (15A Max)
AC Output: AC100V~120V, 50Hz/60Hz, 100W Rated, 150W Peak
Battery Type: Lithium-iON
Input Recharging Adapter: DC15V/2A

I also bought the Airmini DC adapter to use with my Airsense 11.  I haven't tried it yet, but hoping that it will be able to handle the load.  Electricity might as well be pure magic as far as I'm concerned, so I have not idea whether this battery will give me enough to get through a night or a couple of nights.

I'm not sure if I have this right, but the airsense 11 may use 2 amps per hour or less without the humidifier or heated hose. So your 42 amp hour battery may get you through 21 hours or more. **One thing to remember, the airmini dc adapter MAY need to be plugged into the cpap BEFORE you connect to the battery.

I just used a 95 amp hour deep cycle marine battery for camping, and it got me through 5 full nights of sleep; not sure, but maybe 45 total hours of sleep. (Longer sleeps than I usually get at home when I'm not on vacation. At home, with my 7 hour sleeps, the same battery lasted 7 nights when I tried it out as an experiment. Then I stopped using it, so don't know how much longer it would have lasted).
Post Reply Post Reply
That end of the plug goes to the CPAP, but the other end of the power line is a standard 3 prong plug, so I would think any battery power block that has a three prong outlet would work with the Airsense 11, or am I oversimplifying this?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 85 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,465 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 139 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 179 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,011 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 138 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 10 309 04-02-2024, 11:43 PM
Last Post: johnbrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.