Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
RE: ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
If you look at the internal pins, you will see it is very different than an HDMI connector.

I scraped a couple pics from an Amazon site for a ResMed branded DC-DC converter for the ResMed AirMini. The connector looks identical, and the output is the same (65 w).

Perhaps, it is compatible with the AirMini power brick and DC-DC converter.

Post Reply Post Reply
That's the AC power plug! Good find. So at least this isn't a completely new plug, and some adapter might be out there for the AirMini that will work with the Airsense 11.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-18-2021, 12:49 PM)Sleep Tide Wrote: That's the AC power plug! Good find. So at least this isn't a completely new plug, and some adapter might be out there for the AirMini that will work with the Airsense 11.

Thanks!

Hi SleepTide, I am new to this board, newly diagnosed and just signed up. 
My insurance is about to pay for a AirSense 11 and I had the same questions about running it on a battery backup unit (like a MaxOak 1500Wh) during power outages. Ideally using a DC-DC adapter to milk as much time out of a charge as possible; for the longest runtime.

Looking around online, the only AC adapter I could find that had that "HDMI/USB" like profile was the official ResMed AirMini 12V DC adapter. I have an AirMini so I bought it for "power black-out" use and also to compare it with the original Airmini's AC adapter. Here's what I found.

(see attached photos I took)
1. AirMini original AC adapter is rated at 20W. The plug has one corner shaved off, one corner squared off.
2. AirMini 12V DC-DC adapter is rated at 65W (same as the AirSense 11). The plug has both corners shaved off.

I have a theory that the DC adapter made for the AirMini can be used for the AirSense 11. The wattage is similar at 65W. I just need someone to upload a photo of their AirSense 11 plug, to confirm this. The end that goes into the machine. If if looks just like the 12V AirMini DC-DC adapter, then this would be your battery backup solution during a power outage. You could plug this into any 12V accessory outlet on your backup battery and run the unit on DC power.

The original AirMini AC adapter will not physically fit into the Airsense because of the way the receptacle is shaped. So there is no chance of someone mistakenly using an under-spec'd AirMini AC adapter on their AirSense11.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
As an observation only, the AC to DC plug is using the Display Port shape and the DC to DC plug is using the HDMI shape.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Aldebaran,

Thanks for the further information. You'll find a photo of my AirSense 11 plug in the third posting of this chain. It looks exactly like the AirMini 12V DC-DC adapter plug.

What I'm unclear about is how I'd be able to feed 12-volt power from my Maxoak battery to the DC-DC adapter. The adapter is designed to plug into a cigarette lighter socket (at least that's what they used to be called), but the MaxOak doesn't have that socket as part of its cable set. I might be able to cobble something together with a soldering iron and the right parts, but it's a shame to have to buy an unnecessary converter just to get the right plug.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep Tide - here is the adaptor I used  from Amazon - Search term: 12-volt adapter plug socket with eyelet battery terminals

[Image: 61zfVCrMwKL._AC_SL1000_.jpg]
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, so the DC-DC adapter for the AirMini will power your AirSense 11!! Hurray.

BTW what model is your battery back up? I could look it up to see if you have a 12V option.
I'm not sure if I am allowed to link this from amazon (i'm not), but I bought a set of 'adapters' to convert the small barrel (5.5mm x2.1mm) sized female outlet to a regular sized cigarette lighter socket on my battery backup. Will this work?
Search for this "Cigarette Lighter to DC 5.5mm x 2.1mm Jack Adapter -12v DC Female Socket to 5.5mm x 2.1mm Male Barrel Plug Charger Cable for Portable UPS Battery Backup Emergency Backup Generator".

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Crimson Nape! Looks like a good start for parts.
Post Reply Post Reply
My Maxoak is a Model K5. It's got a 24V, 96-watt output as well as a 12V 60-watt output. I might try creating a striaght-to-CPAP adapter cord for it if 1) I knew where I could get the ResMed plug part and 2) if I could figure out how the contacts are configured. I'm unclear why they've got eight contacts when most power plugs just have two: negative and positive.

Maybe it's just to annoy us and trigger discussions like this. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2021, 12:16 PM)Sleep Tide Wrote: My Maxoak is a Model K5. It's got a 24V, 96-watt output as well as a 12V 60-watt output. I might try creating a striaght-to-CPAP adapter cord for it if 1) I knew where I could get the ResMed plug part and 2) if I could figure out how the contacts are configured. I'm unclear why they've got eight contacts when most power plugs just have two: negative and positive.

Maybe it's just to annoy us and trigger discussions like this. :-)

Try this.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 90 51 minutes ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 404 59 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,725 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,328 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,603 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,820 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.