Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
RE: ResMed Airsense 11 battery backup
(11-02-2021, 09:42 AM)GeoffD Wrote: I'd still like to see a real report of someone using this DC-DC power brick for an overnight test run.

Done!   Grin

I used it last night for 9.4 hours.  Worked perfectly.

To be specific...  That's the "Resmed AirMini 65W DC/DC converter (p/n 388389)", powered by a fully charged 12V AGM battery, and connected to a Resmed AirSense11 Autoset with the humidifier and heated tube active (Climate "auto", tube 84F).  Worked exactly as it does from the 65W AC/DC adapter all night long.

Regarding the humidifier and heated tube....  I'm using a large capacity (55Ah) battery, so I can get 2-3 nights WITH the humidifier and heated tube running.  With smaller capacity batteries, turning off the humidifier and heated tube may be necessary to get a full night's usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-02-2021, 11:58 AM)Aldebaran Wrote: Slight correction Wink

Thanks for the correction!   I had edited that sentence a couple times trying to get the wording correct -- but failed.  Arggh.  Fixed now!
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2021, 05:27 PM)@ScottZZZThis did NOT work for me when I used a Jackery 300 battery.  I plugged the Resmed Mini DC/DC adapter into the cigarette plug and when I powered on the Resmed Air 11, the unit powered for a split second and shut down.Did you test this in a vehicle or portable battery? Thanks, Jason ScottZZZ Wrote: Given the identical wattage and plug type, and despite seeing suppliers and Resmed saying it is not compatible, I took a chance and ordered the "AirMini DC/DC Converter 65W" to use with my Airsense 11.  It arrived today.

I can now CONFIRM that the Airsense 11 works fine powered from the AirMini DC/DC converter.

Plugged one end into my home-brew 12V AGM deep cycle battery / UPS system and the other end into the A11.  It powered up just fine.  I started it up (with humidifier and heated tube both ON), and it ran just fine (pressure set at 9).  I switched to "mask test" to test higher pressure, and again no problems.  This was all as expected, and given that the voltage/wattage is the same as the standard A11 AC/DC block, I expect the AirMini DC/DC adapter will support the A11's full range of pressure/humidity/tubing options.

One last question I had was what "minimum input voltage" the converter requires.  That isn't in the specifications; it just says "12V" which is typically used to describe a range from around 11.4 volts up to about 13.8 volts, or anything in between (the typical voltage range for lead-acid batteries and their charging systems).

According to the manual, the indicator LED has three states to indicate battery status.  I connected the adapter to a variable DC power supply and tested to establish the voltage thresholds for each state:

>12.0v  ::  LED Green, "Normal Operation."  (I tested up to 13.8v, didn't go any higher.)
  <12.0v and >= 11.4v ::  LED Amber, "Low Battery" (but still operable)
  <11.4v  ::  LED Off, "Battery too low to operate machine."

So with the CPAP operating (i.e., battery under CPAP load), the voltage needs to stay above 11.4V or the adapter will shut down.
Post Reply Post Reply
Not familiar with the “Jackery 300”, but can’t think of anything odd that the Resmed DC/DC converter exhibited during my testing or continued use that would cause a problem for any properly-rated backup.  It didn’t show any kind of high inrush or other anomalies when powered on (tested with oscilloscope and 6.5 digit bench dmm).

I’ve been using it every night for months - connected to a 12v AGM battery and power supply, to provide uninterrupted service through our frequent winter power outages.  It’s gone through multiple outages without missing a breath!  I’ve also run it from the battery alone, and from an RV’s 12v socket without problems.

With the humidifier and heated tube, I measured the AS11 pulling about 5A (way less without the humidifier of course).  That 5A Load is no problem for my 55Ah battery.  I just looked up specs for the Jackery 300, and it’s lighter socket is supposed to do 10A so *should* be no problem there either.  

Was the J300 fully charged?  Have you tested it with another similar load?  Could it be incorrectly shutting down at 5A load?
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you running the humidifier? I didn’t get a chance to turn it off to see if the immediate draw was causing the issue.

Jackery is here — they are a high end portable battery: jackery dot com

Hmmm
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I normally run the humidifier and heated hose. That’s about a 5A load, which is pretty hefty for battery, but I’m normally (at home) just trying to protect against my sleep being interrupted by the frequent short (<1hr) power outages.  No problems in several months of usage.

For extended outages or camping, I turn off the humidifier to get longer runtime.  Without the humidifier or heated tube, the AS11 on the DC/DC converter pulled an average of about 1.8A in my tests (varies between 1.4 and 2.7 depending on flow as inhale/exhale varied).  That includes the overhead of the converter itself - which is only about 75% efficient.  Still better than the combination of an inverter and ac/dc converter, as that combination was only about 65% efficient.

Do you know what minimum voltage the J300 provides under load?  One thing I found in my testing (and noted in my earlier posts) is that the Resmed DC/DC converter needs at least 11.5v or it will shut down.  So if the source “sags” below 11.5v - even momentarily - under load, the converter will shut off.
Post Reply Post Reply
All I see is 12v == 10A on the spec sheet. I sent an email to them.

Here is the product:
https://www.jackery.com/products/explore...er-station
Post Reply Post Reply
Alright, I went back and plugged it in... came right up. I have no idea why it wouldn't power up but we're good.
Sorry for the confusion.

For everyone else, the Jackery 300 is great. Running it 9 hours in the 110 v. cigarette lighter I had 74% remaining without the humidifier. I can only assume better with the DC adapter.

Best, Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2022, 08:43 AM)wiredupjax Wrote: I can only assume better with the DC adapter.

From my tests, you can expect perhaps 8-10% more runtime using the DC/DC adapter, versus using an Inverter and AC/DC converter, given the same battery source.

Since the DC/DC adapter is a "boost" device, boosting the 12V input to 24V output, there's quite a bit of efficiency loss.  It's only slightly better than the combined losses of an Inverter and the AC/DC adapter.

My efficiency tests were not comprehensive -- done only with my pressure/flow and humidifier settings.  If you get the chance, it would be great to see some more data comparing the DC/DC adapter to the combination of Inverter + AC/DC adapter, as regards runtime from the same battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will test it...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,745 1 hour ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Tech Nerds-think this battery setup will work for Transcend Micro? johnbrain 7 98 2 hours ago
Last Post: johnbrain
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,610 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,822 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.