Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed F30 mask noise
ResMed F30 mask noise
Hello,

I have recently started using a new ResMed Airsense 10 about a month ago. I like the F30 mask in Med as well, and have been doing well on it. I'm averaging less than 2 AHI and feeling more rested. The problem is that the mask is making weird noises. The sound seems to originate in the elbow between the mask and hose. It sounds like the 2 valves in the elbow are flapping on inhalation. This happened in the new elbow, and I switched it out for an older one. After less than a week it started making the noise last night.

I am wondering if pressure may play a part, my average pressure is 12.14, with a high of 12.6. I also have been adjusting the hose temp as well. I prefer cool air, but like the moisture to prevent dry mouth. It turned cooler in the evenings, and one night I got a lot of condensation in the tube. I turned the tube temp up to alleviate this problem.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this? If so, is there a way to alleviate the issue? I like this mask, it's the first one that I can sleep well with.

Thanks for any help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed F30 mask noise
I've been using an F30 AirFit since it came out. For the most part, I do like it, compared to the F20 AirFit. 

But.....after about 3-4 hrs. of use, it begins to make a squeaking sound, and it wakes me up. When I first put it on at night, all I hear is the inhalation / exhalation of my breath. That doesn't bother me in the least. 

I've installed a new cushion to the mask and I get the same results after a few hours of use. I reposition my mask, do this and do that, and the squeaking sound remains. 

As far as I can tell, it's NOT the hose elbow making the irritating sound. I suppose it's about time to use a new elbow. Even though it's almost three years old, it still functions fine. 

Maybe it is the elbow making the sound, and I'm just not aware. Anyways, tonight I'll being going to sleep with a new one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried the F30 one night after giving up on the F20 and it woke up my husband who has a hearing deficit. Bye bye F30…hello P10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a problem with the P10 when I started using it. My wife kept waking me up to make sure I was still breathing since she could not hear me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately the P10 won't work for me, I need a full face mask, and prefer the hybrid. They're less cumbersome and easier for me to sleep with.

I'm going to keep on trying to figure this noise out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Nearly every time I wash my F30's elbow, it whistles/squeals for a while. It eventually stops until next wash.  I always thought it was water in one of the vent/bypass paths. 
Maybe your humidity is keeping it damp ?  You did mention rainout, so..
Maybe bump the tube temp up again if you can stand it (I hate warm air too) as a test ?
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems to be connected to the moisture in the tube. I set the tube temp up a bit and the humidity down one notch. No problem last night. I think the moisture on the valve affects it and causes the flutter sound.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please note that the quietair elbows have mesh inside the plastic cover over the vents, and that is what makes them so quiet, cos the exhaust air is being muffled by that mesh of fiber. However, if it gets wet, it must be dried out before using it, otherwise you'll get all sorts of issues, like not enough venting, or noises.

After washing mine, I usually just get some compressed air and blow it out completely, both from the connecting end, as well as under the plastic ring from the outside. That's usually enough to eliminate sufficient water to make it work.

Other flapping sounds I experienced on this mask before was due to poor sealing against the face, causing fluttering sounds.

If you have EPR, your inhaling pressure will be higher than your exhaling pressure, which might explain why you would get that kind of leaking only during inhalation. (exhaling pressure isn't high enough to blow through the leaks)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,257 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 338 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 483 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.