Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
Thank you Dave!
Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome and I hope that you get this resolved quickly.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got a new QuietAir Elbow (63494) from an official ResMed representation. I tried it on and I have to say that I am really scared to use this thing while sleeping! I can hardly feel any air flow coming out of the diffuser vent.

My test looks like this: Elbow connected to mask, opposite end blocked with my hand, the two valves blocked with fingers (they are closed when the machine is on). Then I try to breathe through my mask. With the regular elbow (the one with the visible holes) breathing is possible albeit not pleasant. Not so with the QuietAir elbow: I just can't get enough air in and out to breathe properly.

This can't be right, can it?
Post Reply Post Reply
My F30 should be here by the end of the month. Supposedly, my DME supplier will ship on the 19th.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
I have the quiet air diffuser vent for the F20 and it to does not seem to move a lot of air. However I do believe that is the beauty of the design.  It is moving air and it is quiet.

Now what I did notice is that some of the little tiny holes in the diffuser looked blocked. So, I used a small seamstress pin and carefully freed up the holes. A very good light source and/or magnification helps. My case reading glasses.

Once the holes were cleared, I turned the diffuser over and looked at it to see if I could see the dirt. I used the pin and stuck it in where the air should come out. Well to my surprise, that vent is actually packed with a cotton strand like material. So, I pulled it out and then you could see all the dirt on it. Naturally I then tried the diffuser on my mask and it was considerably louder than before so I realized that was the secret to the quietness of the elbow. Also, with the "cotton" packing removed, you still cannot really feel the air, it is diffused quite well. 

Next, I took a cotton ball and tore of about the same size strand as what I removed and using the needle, I repacked the diffuser. Put the strand in one side with the needle and then move over to the other section and use the pin to pull it along. It is now clean and quiet once more and no holes are plugged. I have been using this mask for about 6 months.

So, all in all, very simple to remove the "cotton" sound packing and replace it with another "cotton" like product.

Now this will have to be another step in the cleaning process. Maybe once a month or even more. Realistically, the time it took to clean the holes, remove the packing and then repack it was 5-10 minutes tops.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the F20 and F30 and didn't notice this issue.  

I wasn't able to tolerate the Dreamware FFM because the nasal component often did not align well with my nostrils.  When I tried to breath through my nose, part of the silicon would be there and it was obstructed.  I'm new enough at this where this misalignment would wake me up and I would either realign it or take the mask off.

I'm not sure if it would cause headaches, etc., but something to consider.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the F30 and I love the quiet diffuser!!! Mine definitely let's out a stream of air - it drives me bonkers. I pull the hose toward my forehead so the stream of air points toward my chin... and that drives me less bonkers.

Compared to the F20's older not quiet diffuser, the new quiet diffuser is wonderful!

If yours isn't allowing enough air to escape, my guess is it's faulty and you should request a replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2019, 12:56 PM)zzz1 Wrote: I wasn't able to tolerate the Dreamware FFM because the nasal component often did not align well with my nostrils.  When I tried to breath through my nose, part of the silicon would be there and it was obstructed.  I'm new enough at this where this misalignment would wake me up and I would either realign it or take the mask off.

This happens to me with DreamWear, Amara View, and F30.  I have large nostrils.  :-/ This is why I've been sticking with the F20.
Post Reply Post Reply
I discovered the same cotton type mesh when inspecting the elbow. I was surprised at how dirty and damp it was. I will see how the mask works without it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-16-2019, 02:03 PM)Freddavey Wrote: I discovered the same cotton type mesh when inspecting the elbow. I was surprised at how dirty and damp it was. I will see how the mask works without it.

Unless i'm missing something, I don't understand why they would design the elbow with that material covering the vent holes and have it inaccessible to clean or change. I imagine it would clog eventually.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,763 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,410 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 549 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 698 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 401 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,488 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.