Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
I just gave my quiet elbow a good, close examination under a very bright light. No signs or indications of anything growing or any signs of any kind of fibrous material. 

Mine is going on 1 yr. old.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the mesh under my elbow cap accidentally, after cleaning and let everything dry all day I inspected everything and saw what I thought was lint sticking out from the cover. Thinking it was lint, I then pulled on it and the entire packing came out, and that is when I saw the black spots. I'm not sure, but don't think it's mold but simply dirt that builds up. I think its dirt and not mold because I later soaked the mesh packing in vinegar and it had no effect on the spots. Since I had not removed the plastic cap/cover, I was still able to use the e!bow until I got a new frame. The noise level was a lot higher but that wasn't a concern or bother to me. So after using it another month I noticed those black dots around the cover which corresponded with the small exaltation holes. I tried vinegar again and was unable to get it clean, and I soak and clean mask and elbow every day. I know there are other masks that use a diffuser, but you're able to change the mesh or filter.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2019, 04:26 AM)Freddavey Wrote: I'm not sure, but don't think it's mold but simply dirt that builds up. I think its dirt and not mold because I later soaked the mesh packing in vinegar and it had no effect on the spots.
Vinegar will kill many molds but it will not dissolve and remove the dead mold. It may be dirt but I don't understand how so much could accumulate in a month.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2019, 03:00 PM)Catherine101 Wrote: Thanks Riley.  It seems there are two types of vents. Which one are you referring to? Mine is the one without the holes

It still has the holes.  The new one just has a plastic shield around the holes to diffuse the air flow more and make it quieter.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-19-2019, 02:57 PM)Technopauper Wrote: This post got me thinking about how long I was using these for so had a close look at the two I keep with me on my 'away' pack - one looked quite black and the other clean soo I prized off the 'whisper cover' off the dirty one.

As you can see the packing material was pretty black and I couldn't find a way of re attaching the cover so will put this one down to experience - reckon I should have thrown it away by this point would be Resmed's thinking ?

Thoughts ?

Rob

I have been using the quite air diffuser on my F20 for a month. It is definitely packed with fibrous material but upon inspection through the holes on the inside against very bright light I see no discoloration. I was concerned that what others reported might be mold growth resulting from humidity from the humidifier and exhaled air but, at least in my case, that isn't evident in the time period others have reported. I never wash the diffuser. I see no need. So mine is never completely wet.  I think it would be very difficult to dry the packing after completely soaking it. I would be interested to know if those who have seen the black discoloration wash the diffuser. It's hard to believe what was shown in the posted images is dirt from the filtered air.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
My theory about it not being mold is because the black dots in the mesh corresponds to the exhalation holes in the elbow. Also, I didn't need to remove the cap, I saw what I thought was lint sticking out from below the cap and pulled on it, which revealed the entire mesh as shown in the previous picture I posted. I am thinking that if it were mold from moisture it would not be so uniformly spread around the mesh. Furthermore, I continued to use that elbow with just the cap and it works fine, just a bit noisier. So after another month of using the elbow without the mesh, I saw the same black spots develop under the plastic cover, also in  correlation to the exhalation holes. So I think again it must be dirt because there was no longer mesh under the cap retaining water.

However what really puzzles me is why this design is not like other masks that have diffuser for exhalation port, but with changeable filters, and allows access to clean without breaking the cap off. Even the person that I spoke with at Resmed, who claimed there is no such mesh under the cap, said it would be bad to have such a design. I would just like a definitive answer from the makers of this product as to our questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears that you are correct, that it is dirt. Especially since you are seeing the spots on the inside of the cover. But why are you seeing so much in such a short time? Are your filters black after a month?
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2019, 03:44 PM)Melman Wrote: It appears that you are correct, that it is dirt. Especially since you are seeing the spots on the inside of the cover. But why are you seeing so much in such a short time? Are your filters black after a month?

My CPAP machine turns 1 yr. old on the 10th. I'm still using the same air filter that came in the machine. Of all the times I've removed it to clean it, it hasn't been discolored in any way. Most of the time, I felt it was a waste of time to clean it. I did so anyways.

I just removed it a couple of nights ago to inspect it, and it was clean as could be.  Dont-know

I rummaged around some and found out that I have two new quiet elbows on hand. Thought I only had done. Anyways, I compared the two new ones to the one currently in use. All three look exactly the same. No difference what-so-ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2019, 04:19 PM)Big Guy Wrote: My CPAP machine turns 1 yr. old on the 10th. I'm still using the same air filter that came in the machine. Of all the times I've removed it to clean it, it hasn't been discolored in any way. Most of the time, I felt it was a waste of time to clean it. I did so anyways.

I just removed it a couple of nights ago to inspect it, and it was clean as could be.  Dont-know

I rummaged around some and found out that I have two new quiet elbows on hand. Thought I only had done. Anyways, I compared the two new ones to the one currently in use. All three look exactly the same. No difference what-so-ever.

I'm not surprised. My filters are also always clean and I see no discoloration of the packing in the vent. But I would think if significant dirt is present in the vent it should be showing on the machine filter as well.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2019, 06:09 PM)Melman Wrote:
(09-07-2019, 04:19 PM)Big Guy Wrote: My CPAP machine turns 1 yr. old on the 10th. I'm still using the same air filter that came in the machine. Of all the times I've removed it to clean it, it hasn't been discolored in any way. Most of the time, I felt it was a waste of time to clean it. I did so anyways.

I'm not surprised. My filters are also always clean and I see no discoloration of the packing in the vent. But I would think if significant dirt is present in the vent it should be showing on the machine filter as well.

Absolutely! Logic would dictate that you can't have one w/o the other.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 467 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,798 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,417 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,510 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.