Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
The "Quiet Air" one is substandard.  I stopped using mine after only 4 nights because I was getting water buildup in the mask and the hose. Thinking this was something I was doing, I tried several different settings including with no water in the humidifier and the hose set to the warmest (30C) setting. I still got water on my face and in the hose (the hose was warm to the touch). With that much water appearing it means I was rebreathing a lot.  I'm still using my old version diffuser with new masks and I've never had an issue with humidity despite having the humidity higher and the hose temperature lower.

Thinking that my issue could be a "one off" defect with the new diffuser, I continued to use the old one and not pass judgment on the newer design until my next mask arrived 6 months later. I took both new ones apart and the holes and the construction are exactly the same.  The one I used for 4 nights had visible mold in the quieting foam.  Also the holes in the main body were much smaller.  High exit air flow with the old version might be an issue for people using a very high setting, but the reduced holes are not adequate for lower settings since they restrict too much air from exiting.  You can see from the pics that the new version has significantly smaller holes and channels for the exiting air.  Note that pics of the new version's main body are in a disassembled state with the redirector and internal foam pictured seperately. The last pic shows foam from two new versions... 0 days and 4 days use.

Post Reply Post Reply
Canuckguy - Wow! 4 days gave you blackness (mold?) on that white felt/foam stuff? Incredible!

Now that you say it, I can definitely validate it that I've had a LOT of rainout with the quiet elbow. (And I very rarely get rainout with my other masks.) Very interesting. That sort of reinforces to me what you said about the higher likelihood of rebreathing.

Do they not flush out this info in their R&D??? First the P10s; now the quiet elbow? Urg.

I've tried to use the loud elbow, but it's too loud for both myself and my husband (even with a loud fan blowing as white noise), plus it is too strong of a jet stream venting out (onto my arm, my forehead, etc.).
Post Reply Post Reply
The mold was a bit surprising for such little usage.   Resmed have lots of offices but their main facility is in Sydney, Australia.  If they're testing in the Australian heat (or nice dry air conditioning in the lab?) maybe they aren't getting humidity issues with their testing, although after my experience I can't see how they wouldn't, unless they're using people who breathe *very* slowly.   If they don't fix the issue (or make the old diffuser available seperately) I'm eventually going to have to change brands or start drilling holes.  With the old version, I've never really been bothered by the blowing but it might just be the position I'm sleeping in.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oddly enough, I have been switching back and forth between the two for a few nights. The old elbow uses far more humidifier water, and gives me a higher AHI. The new design gives me headaches oddly after the second night of using it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fascinating!

Could there be a tie in with humidifier water consumption and air venting indicating that old style is better in air flow or vent efficiency or something similar?

The ResMed designers are feverishly making the updated elbow called BreathingAir. Delivery date? Ugh don't hold your breath please.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 01:45 AM)canuckguy Wrote: You can see from the pics that the new version has significantly smaller holes and channels for the exiting air.  Note that pics of the new version's main body are in a disassembled state...

OMG... How in the world did you get that little guy apart? I tried taking my newer version apart so I could clean out the tiny foam diffuser and had to give up. I didn't want to run a screwdriver through my hand or destroy my one and only diffuser in the process.

Kudos for the inside look.   Coffee
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried running the quiet air elbow with the diffuser cap but without the foam?

Kind of makes me think of increasing airflow to a carbuetator.

John

Added... Maybe K&N can help with this one... lol!
Post Reply Post Reply
Not quite sure as to how some of you are coming up with a mold issue in regards to the quiet elbows. 

I have two, still sealed in their factory bags, F20 AirFit complete masks. I can clearly see thru the clear bags that the quiet elbows have black spots in them. 

A while back, I accidentally damaged one of my quiet elbows. I decided to take it apart and take a real good look at it. Within a few minutes, I had it completely disassembled. 

I took a good quality magnifying glass and had a look at the "black spots". All were 100% uniform in size and hue. Granted, I'm no mold expert by any stretch of the imagination, but those spots simply did not look to be mold. 

I can't tell you why those spots are there. I have no clue! I had my wife take a look, and she too, didn't believe they were mold. 

BTW.....as far as I can tell, the quiet elbow is not designed to be taken apart. A few members have mentioned a loud elbow. I started SA Therapy in early Sept. of 2018. As far as I know, all of the mask / hose elbows I have used or currently own, are of the quiet design. 

Again, I have no idea as to why those black dots exist. But, I seriously doubt that they are mold generated. If by some chance I'm addressing an issue that I'm not aware of, please excuse me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 12:16 PM)Big Guy Wrote: BTW.....as far as I can tell, the quiet elbow is not designed to be taken apart. A few members have mentioned a loud elbow. I started SA Therapy in early Sept. of 2018. As far as I know, all of the mask / hose elbows I have used or currently own, are of the quiet design. 

I think it completely depends on your supplier.  In June of this year, my DME sent me an old (loud) elbow.  I called them out on it, and while they did not admit to it, I realized they were getting rid of old stock before sending out newer inventory.

Earlier this year, I ordered an F20 on Amazon, and also received the old (loud) elbow.  I assumed the vendor was a DME dumping old inventory.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sarcastic Dave where did you read about them making a new elbow design?  Does anyone know if Resmed is aware of this problem?  For now I think I will use the old design elbow.  
Another thought, the people who see the “mold” did they wash the elbow frequently before they saw this?  For people who are going to continue using the quiet elbow are you going to wash them?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 467 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,798 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,417 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,510 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.