Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
I just looked at mine on both the F20 and F30 and there isn’t any discoloration at all on either of them. Also I just noticed the same material is in the front diffuser on the P30i and there isn’t any discoloration there either. All 3 have been submerged in warm water for up to 60 mins at a time multiple times.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Dare I ask, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but...

Anybody who has seen discoloration on the QuietAir diffuser and other models of diffusers with discoloration - are you smokers or non-smokers?  Does it even matter?  I'm not a smoker, so I have no idea if that could contribute to the problem people have been seeing.

I've been using mine for a little over a year, wash it in warm water & baby shampoo about once-a-month and have seen no discoloration or change in performance.  My humidifier is running at 7 of 8.  I do use bottled distilled water and I don't use a heated hose.  I don't get rainout when using a hose wrap.  I do get a small amount of condensation inside my F30 mask on very few occasions.  All things considered, there is probably a fairly high level of humidity inside my F30 system.

I'm not an expert in the field, but I would think that if it was mold, you could soak the diffuser in a light bleach solution then clean in warm soapy water to get rid of the bleach solution.  And I would think the discoloration would be gone if it was mold.

Lastly, if ResMed had a defective run on materials, I kind of doubt they would admit to it.  Especially if nobody was harmed and no lawsuits were filed.  But I suppose they could have had a somewhat limited run with a defect in materials.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure of this but maybe you really can’t tell if there is any discoloration or what might look like mold unless you remove the plastic cap that hides the material.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 05:31 PM)RayBee Wrote: Dare I ask, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but...

Anybody who has seen discoloration on the QuietAir diffuser and other models of diffusers with discoloration - are you smokers or non-smokers?  Does it even matter?  I'm not a smoker, so I have no idea if that could contribute to the problem people have been seeing.

I've been using mine for a little over a year, wash it in warm water & baby shampoo about once-a-month and have seen no discoloration or change in performance.  My humidifier is running at 7 of 8.  I do use bottled distilled water and I don't use a heated hose.  I don't get rainout when using a hose wrap.  I do get a small amount of condensation inside my F30 mask on very few occasions.  All things considered, there is probably a fairly high level of humidity inside my F30 system.

I'm not an expert in the field, but I would think that if it was mold, you could soak the diffuser in a light bleach solution then clean in warm soapy water to get rid of the bleach solution.  And I would think the discoloration would be gone if it was mold.

Lastly, if ResMed had a defective run on materials, I kind of doubt they would admit to it.  Especially if nobody was harmed and no lawsuits were filed.  But I suppose they could have had a somewhat limited run with a defect in materials.

I see the black spots / dots, and I've never been a smoker. Nor has my wife. 

There's a reason I suppose for the dots, but it's just that I don't know what it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started using the F30 mask about 4 weeks ago and it was great.  It lowed my mask pressure from 19.8 cm  to under 15 cm, as a result my aerophagia cramps, acid reflux and bloating  greatly reduced. However the last week I see my mask pressures have been increasing with the concern that my gas problems will return. I rang my supplier and was told the old design elbow was not available. I rang Resmed Office in Australia and was told they they stock both old and new elbows. All I need to do now is to find a supplier who will order one for me.

It may interest other members that the old design elbows are still around.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hope this helps in getting the correct elbow.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=17573]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 05:55 PM)yankees123 Wrote: Not sure of this but maybe you really can’t tell if there is any discoloration or what might look like mold unless you remove the plastic cap that hides the material.

You are correct! Since I don’t use my F20 anymore I essentially broke the opaque plastic off and sure enough there’s the black dots. That’s a bit unsettling. Makes me glad I’m giving my P30i another try tonight. The same material is in the front diffuser and at least from the front and sides there is nothing. One thing my girl mentioned is maybe these black spots are just part of the foam and it’s nothing to worry about. They could just be cutting guide marks. It’s plausible because I can’t imagine a company like ResMed who are under the strictest manufacturing guidelines having a design from the design engineers and having the manufacturing engineers miss something like that after field tests trials
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Big Guy
I just fished out the filter foam from the quiet elbow and it showed up the dark spots adjacent to the vent holes. I dont smoke but I do get condensation in the hose and also I overfilled the water tank on one occasion so the air had some free water over carry in it and into the hose. There has been a lot of dust in the air here for the last few weeks so does that indicate that the machine filter doesn't filter out all the dust or is it lleft over from saliva and body elements Dont-know ?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 03:24 AM)canuckguy Wrote: The mold was a bit surprising for such little usage.   Resmed have lots of offices but their main facility is in Sydney, Australia.  If they're testing in the Australian heat (or nice dry air conditioning in the lab?) maybe they aren't getting humidity issues with their testing, although after my experience I can't see how they wouldn't, unless they're using people who breathe *very* slowly.   If they don't fix the issue (or make the old diffuser available seperately) I'm eventually going to have to change brands or start drilling holes.  With the old version, I've never really been bothered by the blowing but it might just be the position I'm sleeping in.

My original question was legitimate.

How does the quiet air elbow work with the foam removed?

Is it a little louder or the same as the original elbow?

Also does the elbow just pull apart or are there tabs somewhere that have to be release to dis-assemble it?

The foam will never increase air flow.  It will either have no effect (when new) or decreasing it.

The holes probably have some impact of sound or they would have not changed them.  Without the foam it may not be “89*” quieter, but maybe 50*.

The diffuser cap might still direct air better than the older style.

I know everyone likes to bash Resmed, but if removing the foam and using the elbow is some improvement over the old one; just do it and get on with life.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
To foam or not to foam...sorry just venting.

I think the vent cap has tabs and you'd need to pry the cap off. I'm going to look at my elbow a bit closer and see if the packing is spotted.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 462 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,762 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,409 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 549 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 697 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 401 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,484 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.