Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
OK the elbow I've been using with my F20 had in fact the black spots despite my not seeing them at first. I've pried the cap up and pulled the packing out. Upon prying around the cap, it snapped as if being glued in place. I cannot remove it or the tube section however. So I've got an unpacked elbow.

Note that I do not smoke, nor anyone in this home, and rainout didn't occur. And the elbow has never been washed or immersed.

[attachment=17591]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2019, 06:36 PM)RayBee Wrote: Hope this helps in getting the correct elbow.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=17573]

According to the pics that you posted up, it appears as if the mask / hose elbows that I have, are of the old style. 

Wait just a minute! Now, I'm now thinking differently. I have a whole mask assembly, still in it's factory bag. It is part # 63462. I can clearly see thru the plastic bag and see the elbow. 

The "holes" in the elbow are there, but there isn't any foam or other material. There are no black dots or spots. You can see daylight when looking thru those holes. 

So......I don't know what version of the elbows I have on hand are. The pivot joints appear to be those of the new(er) version. 

I'm not having any issues or problems with the elbows. At this point in time, I'm not sure what to think.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 11:19 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: OK the elbow I've been using with my F20 had in fact the black spots despite my not seeing them at first. I've pried the cap up and pulled the packing out. Upon prying around the cap, it snapped as if being glued in place. I cannot remove it or the tube section however. So I've got an unpacked elbow.

Note that I do not smoke, nor anyone in this home, and rainout didn't occur. And the elbow has never been washed or immersed.

This might be a stupid question, but Dave, did you happen to notice which side the black dots were on?

If these dots have something to do with the manufacturing process as Osiris mentioned (Post #77), I would think that some of them may get installed backward so the dots are on the downstream side of the vent. We always assume the the dots are lined up with the holes. And maybe that is the case. But if somebody noticed that they were not lined up perfectly, and on the correct side, then maybe it does have something to do with the manufacturing process.

And the plot thickens.

Huh
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
RayBee, use your image as a reference. Mask clip connection on top. Pivot about 90 degrees as if you're looking at the elbow in a mask on orientation. Looking at the elbow with clips on side, my spots would have been under the circle of holes, facing towards the mask.

See new image, find the circle of holes and spots on packing were facing towards me under holes in this orientation. And note this is my unpacked elbow depicted here:

[attachment=17592]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Until today, never in my life have I ever purchased an elbow for a mask. It has to be the only item that never needs to be replaced. But I was able to get a couple pretty cheap from my DMEbay. My quiet air is working fine, but I'd rather have a little reserve.

I've never known Resmed to glue any parts together on their masks, but this one may be the exception. I tend to run my stuff as long as I can before replacing, but if this elbow starts to be an issue, I'll see if there is some trick to get it apart in one, at least unbroken, piece.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 12:57 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: RayBee, use your image as a reference. Mask clip connection on top. Pivot about 90 degrees as if you're looking at the elbow in a mask on orientation. Looking at the elbow with clips on side, my spots would have been under the circle of holes, facing towards the mask.

See new image, find the circle of holes and spots on packing were facing towards me under holes in this orientation. And note this is my unpacked elbow depicted here:

That would mean that they are guide marks for cutting them out if they were on the opposite side of the holes and facing towards you
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 12:57 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: RayBee, use your image as a reference. Mask clip connection on top. Pivot about 90 degrees as if you're looking at the elbow in a mask on orientation. Looking at the elbow with clips on side, my spots would have been under the circle of holes, facing towards the mask.

Scratch that Dave. I got that backwards. I really hope I’m right about them being guide marks for cutting the pieces out though. The other possibility isn’t very healthy to breathe
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW granted my packing doesn't have round black dots the whole way around. But they are to the naked eye all uniform round black or dark grey dots that are the exact pattern of the holes.

These aren't manufacture marks, as they're not random in shape or pattern.

This IMO is either discoloration from exhaled air or maybe mold based.

Vomit
Post Reply Post Reply
PS I've washed my unpacked vent and trying it tonight. Hmm, I wonder if this affects how my ASV therapy feels?

Uh OK I just tried a mask on for a few seconds...QuietAir is no longer quiet. I'll probably have to rip off the opaque ring as it has the breezy air bouncing off something sound. Duh...

Exhaust still diffused but not quiet.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-29-2019, 05:02 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: PS I've washed my unpacked vent and trying it tonight. Hmm, I wonder if this affects how my ASV therapy feels?

Uh OK I just tried a mask on for a few seconds...QuietAir is no longer quiet. I'll probably have to rip off the opaque ring as it has the breezy air bouncing off something sound. Duh...

Exhaust still diffused but not quiet.

Thanks Dave!  You're a good man for giving it the good old college try.  Sorry to hear that the diffuser failed to offer any improvement, in either sound or air direction, over a non-diffused elbow.

I am probably a very good candidate to see if the foam starts to discolor since I don't use a humidifier.  Unfortunately I did wash it once a week or so ago, but even with a magnifier I can't see any dark spots; I won't be washing it again.  But if they appear with only room air humidity, in the winter, then that is an issue.  I'll continue to monitor it.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 465 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,786 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,413 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 702 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,501 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.