Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
I also have noticed that the "filter" on the diffuser vent elbow gets clogged or dirty. I have bought "Band-Aid cushion care gauze pads" and I just cut strips of the gauze and use that to replace the dirty filter. I do this weekly and it has preserved the life of my diffuser vent elbow. This keeps the vent working properly and quietly but I would recommend that when you do your weekly vinegar and water wash that you have the filter OUT of the vent so that it gets cleaned properly. I am a smoker so I use a small paint brush to clean the holes really good so they don't block up. This is the best way I have found to clean the vent and keep it functioning properly without having to replace it every month.
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you get the filter out of the elbow? Others have had to break the translucent cover to get to the filter.

Have you figured out a way to take it apart without breaking it?

John
Post Reply Post Reply
    I have a small pair of scissors with a hook on the end(like they use to remove stitches). The hook works great to get up in there and pull the material out and also pushing it back in. If you can't get a hold of anything like that then you can just get a 2mm crochet hook and that'll do the trick.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2020, 09:51 AM)kodasmom2013 Wrote: I also have noticed that the "filter" on the diffuser vent elbow gets clogged or dirty. I have bought "Band-Aid cushion care gauze pads" and I just cut strips of the gauze and use that to replace the dirty filter. I do this weekly and it has preserved the life of my diffuser vent elbow. This keeps the vent working properly and quietly but I would recommend that when you do your weekly vinegar and water wash that you have the filter OUT of the vent so that it gets cleaned properly. I am a smoker so I use a small paint brush to clean the holes really good so they don't block up. This is the best way I have found to clean the vent and keep it functioning properly without having to replace it every 

I have gone through 2. First one I’ve dissected and removed the nasty gunk, but either way, straight out of the box, only when I use that elbow do I feel like I’m breathing my own air, and I end up with a behind-the-eyes headache and my apnea is over 1. It’s every time. 

The obvious answer is don’t use the quiet air, which I don’t. Anytime I use the regular diffused although I feel great and my apnea is more controlled. The only other time I feel like this is with the dreamwear FF mask. 

So I’m just looking for some insight into calculating volume of exhalation VS masks. 

If there’s some sort of chart or data that shows different components and masks and what their maximum exhale flow volume is, Christ it could be in the manuals. But I don’t know if anyone had compiled all that data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I suppose like many people as of late, I found myself with some extra time on my hands.  So I decided to revisit this subject and attempt what I have been pondering for a while now.

I wanted to see if I could replace the fibrous diffuser material in the Quiet Air elbow.  So...

I used a box cutter and cut out a couple windows in the diffuser cover.  Then I used some tweezers and pulled out a little of the old material, cut it, then pulled it out through one of the windows.  Then I took a standard filter and cut two strips about the width of the original.  The thickness of the original diffuser is close to the same size as its width.  The standard Resmed filter is much thinner than the quiet Air diffuser material.  The diffuser is also much softer than the Resmed filter too.

Next I tied some thread to the end of the strips I cut, and worked the thread under the diffuser cover with a Tiny screwdriver and tweezers.  a little tug and the replacement material easily pulled into place.  Trimmed the thread and called it good.

Next I plugged in an unaltered Quiet Air elbow to my mask, plugged the intake and side vents of the elbow and blew for a sampling of how quiet, or not, the original elbow really is.  Then I tried it with the modified one.  To my surprise, the sound was about the same.  I was kind of surprised since there is a considerable gap between the tiny vent holes and the new diffuser material.  I also tried this test with no diffuser material, and the diffuser cover with the cut out windows.  It was fairly noisy - for me that is.  For some, this probably isn't a problem.  For me, it would be.

I think you could probably get the same results using a small-ish crochet yarn similar in size to the original diffuser material.  I also think that the diffuser material's job is to keep the tiny jets of air from blasting the inside of the diffuser housing.  Don't really know other than the new material was quite ill-fitting, but effectively had the same results in quieting the rush of air.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21221]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21222]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21223]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Last two pictures...  It appears there is a three image limit now.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21224]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21225]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RayBee

~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
If I were to guess, the packing gives the Quiet Air its quietness. It's in no way expected to filter anything but sound. A glasspack elbow muffler.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Exactly.
RayBee

~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
It does limit the sound, as well as the air flow. I experienced rebreathing after using the quiet elbow for a while (a month or so). It was such a disappointment, too, because the original elbow is too loud for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-20-2020, 11:15 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If I were to guess, the packing gives the Quiet Air its quietness. It's in no way expected to filter anything but sound. A glasspack elbow muffler.

Glasspack... man that takes me back.  Of course I don’t think you can use the words glasspack and Quiet Air in the same post... lol!

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 463 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 137 34,765 01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,412 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 550 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 698 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 402 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 32 12,491 07-26-2023, 09:27 AM
Last Post: snorin2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.