Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
RE: ResMed Quiet Air Diffuser Vent F30
Whether I could use the word combo or not, and reasonings why I couldn't, were all probably cancelled out when I hit the Post Reply button at 12:15 AM for that post.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Raybee.

I have a F20 (and am trying to get used to a F30).

Like 70San0, I too was struggling with the concept of taking off the plastic cover, ( and breaking it) which I thought would eliminate the ability to then cover the holes in the elbow with new material.  How would you hold the replacement material in place???  You solved it: just replace the sound deadening material and leave enough of the cover still attached to the elbow to hold the new material.  Congrats
 and Thanks .

I cut out the holes on each side of the plastic cover spanning 2 "ribs" plus a bit as your photo shows,   really on the "top" and "bottom" as opposed to the sides and I was able to pull out "stuffing" quite easily with the tip of the box cutter and a paper clip. 

I have been inspecting my F20 elbow for weeks now, if not months, (from right after this thread started), looking for signs of dark or mould by looking down through the mask end of the elbow in bright indirect light.  All the holes looked clean and free from discoloration.  I (thought I) could see right down the holes!! I didn't really believe it would happen to everyone including me. 

But yesterday, when I pulled the material out, I saw the same black dots of colour that you showed in your photo.  Wow!!  Note to reader: you can't tell until you pull the material out!

Your not actually breathing through this blackness unless you turn the machine off but just the same it doesn't deserve to stay there.

Do we know what it is - this blackness?   Could it be microscopic plastic and/or oil from the motor?  How would we prove it to be mould?

Has anyone done the operation on a brand new F20/30 elbow to determine that the blackness isn't there from the start?

It surprises me that with all the members of this forum that we can't force a comment or an explanation out of Resmed.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would require microscopic examination of the material. I wouldn't trust a culture because mold is so common in the environnent there would be no way to be sure it came from the material.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
New to this forum, not new to CPAPs, and these posts and responses are very informative??. Not enough airflow from these “quite elbows” for me - but very quite. Would the black spots be a reaction from the combo of the glue holding in the packing, humidity and not being able to air dry? ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Could be. Personally I’m less concerned about the spots, since the air pushes away/out the mask, and not in, but yea, same. Not enough airflow for me. They’re super quiet, but so is the AC vent in my house when the ac is off lol
Post Reply Post Reply
ok then! I'm looking at the F30 mask as a possible game changer for me. It meets all the criteria for what I need. And now this! In a moment I'm going to have a chat on the phone with a sleep doc and ask if they have one to try.

Quiet elbow??? can I even get this without the quiet elbow?

Maybe I need to go back to the Amara View? which is a little squirrely for me at times but a size large might fix that.

AARgh! is nothing straightforward?
Post Reply Post Reply
The quiet elbow works with the F30 and the F20, (not the f30i)    the regular Elbow ALSO  works with the F30 and the F20. (not the f30i).  I use the old school / regular F20 Elbow with my F30, and it works beautifully.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Boodmaster, the sleep tech called and the order is in (I pay a small co pay.) I brought up this issue but it wasn't anything that could be addressed in the order. I'll see what arrives and go from there!

I suppose I might find a regular elbow somewhere if the quiet one fails and I like the mask otherwise...
Post Reply Post Reply
Yea you can get the older ones on amazon or eBay. It’s worth it, IMO. They’re louder but it gets rid of the co2.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could always get a needle and hook the packing/gauze out if the quiet elbow is an issue or concern
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here to vent Razorpoke 1 18 17 minutes ago
Last Post: Nightynite
  Is there a quiet travel CPAP? mcman56 1 77 Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,521 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Anyone's F20 Quiet Air Elbow Not Diffusing/Venting ANY Air? Hydrangea 33 12,938 04-01-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeytime
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 497 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,591 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Sick and need to vent cps22 8 580 01-05-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: cps22

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.