Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed S-9 Auto -- set up (pressure problem)
ResMed S-9 Auto -- set up (pressure problem)
I have been using the ResMed S-9 for 3 years. I am purchasing a second one from an individual. The pressures were set much lower for him. I reset the minimum and maximum pressure and made all settings the same as my original equipment. However, the pressure was barely adequate for me to sleep with it last night. His SD card is still installed. Would that be causing the problem. Will the machine work without his SD card? Or is there a problem with the machine?

When we were going on vacation to an extremely high altitutde (14000 ft), the respiratory therapist gave me a second SD card (pressure set to 19 max) to insert at the higher level and then a third SD card with the lower pressure (max 16). She had said the original SD card would not work if it was reinserted. So I've been skeptical doing anything with the SD cards.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S-9 Auto -- set up (pressure problem)
(07-28-2014, 11:16 AM)acc Wrote: I have been using the ResMed S-9 for 3 years. I am purchasing a second one from an individual. The pressures were set much lower for him. I reset the minimum and maximum pressure and made all settings the same as my original equipment. However, the pressure was barely adequate for me to sleep with it last night. His SD card is still installed. Would that be causing the problem. Will the machine work without his SD card? Or is there a problem with the machine?

When we were going on vacation to an extremely high altitutde (14000 ft), the respiratory therapist gave me a second SD card (pressure set to 19 max) to insert at the higher level and then a third SD card with the lower pressure (max 16). She had said the original SD card would not work if it was reinserted. So I've been skeptical doing anything with the SD cards.

Hi acc, welcome to the forum!

Your doctor gave you two extra SD cards, one to CHANGE the Max Pressure setting to 19, plus one to CHANGE the Max Pressure setting to 16. Both of these can be used only once each to CHANGE the settings. After first insertion of either of the two extra SD cards, the used SD card will act just like the original SD card to record data showing how well the therapy is going.

All three SD cards will work just fine to record data.

At any time you can enter the "sooper sekrit" Clinician Menu and re-adjust the Max Pressure setting back to where it is supposed to be. You do not need an SD card especially programmed to CHANGE the settings upon its initial insertion into the machine.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, I left the original SD card in the machine, have reset the settings to what I need, but last night I felt it did not give the same pressure as my personal machine although the settings are the same. Should I just increase the maximum pressure?

Am I going to need to take this machine to a clinician to program the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 11:52 AM)acc Wrote: So, I left the original SD card in the machine, have reset the settings to what I need, but last night I felt it did not give the same pressure as my personal machine although the settings are the same. Should I just increase the maximum pressure?

Am I going to need to take this machine to a clinician to program the SD card.

The original card being still in the second machine cannot be making any differerence. If you set the pressures using the Clinician Menu, continuing to use the original SD card cannot affect the new settings.

I suggest carefully double checking each setting in the Clinician Settings menu, to make sure all settings are really the same.

I suppose you have inspected/replaced the air filter. Also, you can switch just the blower unit with your normal equipment, so you are using the new blower with the old humidifier and hose and mask. Perhaps a humidifier gasket or hose is leaking on the new equipment.

If you are already using the old humidifier and hose and mask with the new blower unit, try switching back to the old blower unit again, as a double check on how the pressure feels when using the old blower unit.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
If the machine isn't putting out the proper pressure that it is set to, it will need to be calibrated with a manometer. Programming it with the SD card won't help you.

As a workaround, you could try increasing the minimum pressure (and possibly the maximum). That is, if it's shorting you 2 cmH2O of pressure, you would want to add 2 to your pressure. Keep in mind that if you do that, you can't really be sure of how much pressure the machine's giving you, and you would need to get it calibrated properly.

Edit: try the things vsheline suggested first.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perhaps a defective machine. That's a risk when buying from an individual.
Most online suppliers will at least pressure test their used machines.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a new SD card. Most S9 machines will work with any SD or SDHC card 2 GB or larger.

When the machine is blowing the "wrong" pressure, what pressure does it show on the display? After you use it, does the "correct" pressure still show up in the pressure settings in the clinician's menu?

Download the SleepyHead program and use it to see what it thinks your pressure settings are.

Respironics can "lock down" an SD card to keep you from changing your settings. I'm not aware that ResMed can do this, but it's possible.

Also, if there's a modem on the back of the S9 machine, remove it. That can also change your pressure settings. It's a little thing with an antenna that attaches on the back of the blower unit.

[Image: S9Mode_zpse8be7d23.jpg]
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Settings all the same. Filter clean. Will try switching the humidifier unit tonight. The water basket seems to move a very slight more than the one in my unit.

I've been very hesitant to take out the SD card. When we were on vacation we just manually changed the pressure for the higher altitude (Tibet). But, last month for some odd reason when I turned on the machine. It said "reading card" and then "invalid card". Luckily we had the SD card that was programed for "12-16", inserted it and the machine worked fine. So, now the only backup SD card is "12-19" Does taking them out make them need to be re-programed.

I downloaded the ResScan software and was not able to get it to read the "invalid" card--wasn't recognized by computer that I had even inserted it. I will try the SleepyHead software.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 04:41 PM)acc Wrote: I downloaded the ResScan software and was not able to get it to read the "invalid" card--wasn't recognized by computer that I had even inserted it. I will try the SleepyHead software.

Windows 8 or Macs may "corrupt" the SD card. Flick the little tab on the side to the lock position before putting it in your PC.

Note that it's not SleepyHead or ResScan that "corrupts" the card. It's Windows or Mac OS that does it as soon as you put the card into the PC.

You can remove the card and destroy it and the worst that will happen is you lose SOME of the data. The data needed to keep your insurance happy is stored on the machine itself and will write itself to a fresh SD card when you put it into the machine.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-28-2014, 03:36 PM)archangle Wrote: Respironics can "lock down" an SD card to keep you from changing your settings. I'm not aware that ResMed can do this, but it's possible.

Hi archangle,

ResMed S8 and S9 series machines do not read the settings from the card unless the SD card is in Program Settings Mode. This is effectively a Run Once program which runs once, when machine is turned on and first sees that the SD card is in Program Settings mode and has not yet been used to set the settings.

The settings are only updated once, after which the card is automatically changed back to normal Record Data mode. After the settings have been updated once, no matter how many times the card is removed and re-inserted, the settings will not be affected again. It will simply remain in normal Record Data mode.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,567 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,330 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,469 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 550 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 391 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 391 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.