Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed S10 Autoset - set-up data transmission
Question 
ResMed S10 Autoset - set-up data transmission
Today I received a new ResMed S10 Autoset from SecondWind, and I am almost finished setting it up.  I have the owner's and clinician's manuals, but I cannot find the answer to my question.

I've become reluctant to spread my personal data across the internet.  I have Oscar software installed on my MacBook and the SD card is in place in the S10.  I have a WiFi modem in my house.  I have registered my ownership of the S10 with ResMed (expecting that to be sufficient to be notified of software updates), but I have not signed up with MyAir.  The S10 has not asked for the WiFi password.  

Q.  Will the S10 somehow transmit personal data by default, and if so, how do I ensure that is switched off?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S10 Autoset - set-up data transmission
Short answer.....Yes it will.

Longer answer.....
ResMeds come with built in cellular communications, not WiFi.  Your machine will transmit data back to ResMed servers every day as you use the machine.  If your insurance paid for the machine they will likely be looking for compliance data which your DME/Dr should supply them from that transmitted data.
Doctors can also connect to your machine and change settings remotely, and view your data if needed.

If you paid for the machine yourself you have two options.  Leave the machine in airplane mode.  It will stop it from making a cellular connection, but it will give you a little nag screen every time you use the machine

Second option would be to disassemble the machine and disconnect the wires that go to the communications module.  There are some YT videos that show you how to do it.

Edit:  The machine only transmits the data it records.  The only identifiable info would be the serial number of your machine.
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for that explanation, Jeff. I paid for it out-of-pocket, and will be marching into the reimbursement battle soon enough.

I'll give some thought to your observation about my doctor having access for tweaking the machine's settings.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your doctor will only have access if he /she is willing to pay for the connection. With a few exceptions, most doctors and DMEs only use it for the first 90 days to validate usage for insurance purposes and fine-tune the therapy.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I actually have very poor cell service where I live so my machine is typically not connected to any cellular network.  I just bring a copy of my SD card with me when I go to the Dr.

I was not pleased with my data being sent at first.  But after thinking about it, many of us have been using the internet for a few decades now and there is already a plethora of info about us out there.  So a little more info (that is not personally identifiable) really won't make much of a difference IMHO.
Unless you go completely off-grid and give up all electronic devices, someone will be collecting data on everything you do online.  Just modern life.......
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe a polite yet firm letting doc know if he or she accesses your PAP they don't have your permission to edit anything. Make official like with this in paper form, the doc letter is a copy with you putting a copy on file at home.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Fred, to learn more about the Resmed modem, and how it can be accessed and disabled, watch the video on the forum thread http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...em-Removal
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Tom, what a great video! Thanks for making that. Last week I tore down my 2015 MacBook Pro to install a refurbished keyboard, trackpad and new batteries, so this should be easy enough. Perhaps I'll have a go with a similar cleaning of my retired S9, just for the hell of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just opened up my ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto BiLevel and disconnected the cellular modem physically.

Will this have any negative impact on the machine? Eliminate over the air firmware updates, for example?

I purchased the machine myself and do not want any settings changed by any physician nor data reported to ResMed nor anybody else.

Furthermore, how are firmware updates delivered to modern PAP machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
Firmware for ResMed 10 series has happened once the entire 5 plus years it's existed. You're not going to miss much with OTA updates, they just don't send them very often. No offense meant but it's not like a cellphone where you're getting operational or security updates monthly. The disconnected PAP modem will not affect operations.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 340 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 462 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 210 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 240 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 475 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,239 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.