Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Should I use APAP while waiting for ASV
Question 
Should I use APAP while waiting for ASV
Hello all,
I am wondering, since it is taking a very long time to get started on my ASV journey, should I be using an APAP machine that my brother gave me?
I read someplace that using CPAP if a ASV is required to treat CA's is not advisable. At my BiPap titration it was suggested that i have an ASV titration due to therapy induced Central Apnea's. My sleep doc is taking her sweet time getting back to me after an ASV titration at a sleep lab, I know the lab has sent the results and that she has them.
All I want is to feel rested!
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Should I use APAP while waiting for ASV
G'day Shift Worker.

This is a difficult one to advise without seeing some hard data. Do you have the results of your sleep studies or previous CPAP use? That would help us to make an educated guess.

The issue is that a well set-up APAP machine will overcome your obstructive apneas, hypopneas and precursors such as snoring, it may at the same time increase the number of central apneas. In your position I'd be prepared to take a punt on using the machine, but make sure you get #SleepyHead installed and review the charts to see how that balance between central and obstructive is playing out. We'd obviously be very pleased to help you with that review.
Post Reply Post Reply
+1 for using the cpap.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
if you are like most, a good CPAP setting can give you some OA relief and still reduce your CA events rational levels. give us data, we can tell you what we would do.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would have to use the apap for the obstructive apneas and O2 level control.  My old apap range settings were pretty well optimized for obstructives apneas.  

However, I would have to be wary of tiredness symptoms while driving and while dealing with difficult personalities for 8 hours at a time.  A nap would be required.

I would be afraid to go even 2 days without any xpap.

Everybody is different.

Best of luck to you!
Post Reply Post Reply
As a general rule, CPAP will work for people with central apnea if you keep the pressure low, constant and no Flex or EPR. In other words, a constant 5 or 6 cm will prevent the obstructive apnea and will not induce many centrals. You can try it and see if your AHI is lower than the test range if the CPAP has data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,422 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,150 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 588 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.