Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed S9 Humidity Level
ResMed S9 Humidity Level
I have a ResMed S9 VPAP Auto machine and I'm trying to set the humidity level. I don't have the heated hose. I set the humidity level to 3.5, the warm up function works and heats up the water, but when I wake up in the morning the water in the tub is stone cold.

Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 Humidity Level
Had this as well a wile back so I asked ResMed. It is running auto mode for humidity. The sensor in the unit is only warming up the water to compensate for the ambiant humidity. You can fix this by setting it in manule through the locked settings. Now this is on an S9 elite. So it may operate difrently on the VPAP. Setting it in manual keeps a constant current flow to the heating pad under the water. Hope this info helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Darkcat. I think you're right. It is the same on the VPAP auto and I will give the manual setting a try.

It's confusing the way the instructions are written in the manuals. My guess is that if you plug in a heated hose additional functions get enabled and additional menu items appear. For example, the Clinician's Guide mentions temperature settings but I cannot find any menu items on the machine, and neither are any shown in the Clinician's Guide, that allow me to set the temperature. It also says that if the temperature is set to off then the humidifier won't come on. It's all very confusing to me.

I get the same feeling of confusion whenever I try to use a Mac computer. Too-funny
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-01-2014, 09:04 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I have a ResMed S9 VPAP Auto machine and I'm trying to set the humidity level. I don't have the heated hose. I set the humidity level to 3.5, the warm up function works and heats up the water, but when I wake up in the morning the water in the tub is stone cold.

Is there another setting somewhere that I'm missing?
The only setting available if not using the heated hose (ClimateLine) is hose type selection, SlimLine or standard
The machine recognize when the heated hose attached , and display 'ClimateLine enabled' on the screen, that gives you other options, explained here: http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

From Resmed - H5i vs. H4i
Why does the H5i heater plate not seem to get as hot as the H4 iheater plate? Is this normal?

Yes this is normal and does not affect performance. The H4i™ is not software-controlled with the heater temperature based solely on the humidifier setting and so remains constant if the humidifier setting is not changed. If set at the same humidifier setting all year round, the H4i uses approximately the same amount of water every night, regardless of changes in ambient conditions or device flow.

The H5i's heater plate temperature is software-controlled. This means that even at a fixed humidifier setting, the heater plate temperature changes to ensure constant absolute humidity delivered to the user. The heater plate temperature changes depending on ambient (room) conditions, the humidifier setting and device flow.
If set at the same humidifier setting all year round, the H5i will use significantly less water than the H4i in humid conditions than it will in dry conditions. Therefore, the amount of water left in the H5i tub after use is not the best indication of the unit's functioning.

All this is fine in print but my nose is not software controlled, dumb system if you ask me. I use ClimateLine all year around set on auto mode, adjust temp depend on room air, up on cold nights and down on hot nights

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I don't have the climate line hose, I have the humidifier on "manual" with a maximum setting of 6.0, I don't notice the water getting warm unless I preheat, and very little water is missing from the tub in the morning.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
When the Climateline is not attached, there is no "temperature" setting. 6 is the max, right?

The manual setting bypasses the "ambient humidity" sensor and heats the water anyway. Or should.

If it is not, there may be something wrong with the humidifier. Switch it with the other machine's humidifier. As long as they are both S9s, the humidifier should both be H5i.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 11:01 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: When the Climateline is not attached, there is no "temperature" setting. 6 is the max, right?

Yup.

Quote:The manual setting bypasses the "ambient humidity" sensor and heats the water anyway. Or should.

I must have been out of it last night. I thought I had set it to manual but when I checked it was set to "patient" or "auto" or something. So then I set it to "manual". Then I woke up and noticed it wasn't warm so I turned it up from 3.5 to 6.0. I don't think it got warm but I will leave it on 6.0 all night tonight and see for sure.

Quote:If it is not, there may be something wrong with the humidifier. Switch it with the other machine's humidifier. As long as they are both S9s, the humidifier should both be H5i.

They are. But the thing is, the warm up function works very well. I will swap them out if all else fails.

I wish I could update the firmware. I have a feeling that may be the problem.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
I do not remember what your other machine was but if the tank is suitable should be no problem. I am pretty sure that the warm-up function is controlled by the blower unit.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 01:43 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I thought I had set it to manual but when I checked it was set to "patient" or "auto" or something. So then I set it to "manual".
I think you,re mixing up, "manual, auto, patient" are Cimate Control options and not relevant to you, as you,re not using the ClimateLine
[I choose "patient" as gives me the option to play with it from home screen menu]

From the sound of it, your humidifier is working okay, water feel warm on pre-heat, lights changes blue/orange and using some water during the night. You can adjust humidity level 1-6, 6 is the highest, hose cosy/fleece cover helps

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-02-2014, 03:57 PM)PaytonA Wrote: I do not remember what your other machine was but if the tank is suitable should be no problem.
Sleepster old machine is PRS1, S9 and PRS1 are like 'chalk and cheese' Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 472 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 590 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf
  humidity level frustration sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  For those that have switched from PAP to Bi-level... CPAPnerd 7 432 01-23-2024, 05:26 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
  [CPAP] DreamStation Humidity Issue bry248 14 9,164 01-20-2024, 02:59 AM
Last Post: jimbob123

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.