Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed S9 changes mode
ResMed S9 changes mode
So, I'm peacefully enjoying the air from my S9. Suddenly the air supply stops, as if I had shut off the S9. Ripping off the mask as I gasp for air, I look down at the S9, and see that it is flashing (1 sec on, three off) the ResMed logo. The logo displayed when first powered-on, but then it does not flash. To make a long story short, I discovered t hat the only solution to the problem was to unplug the unit, wait a minute, and then restore the power. At that point the unit picks up where it left off. That is, in the supply mode.

Vendor has no idea. "Send in the unit and we'll check it out." Yeah, sure.

Any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9 changes mode
Hmmm, that is not normal. If this problem occurs more than once, I would return it and get it checked out. That is not an acceptable problem. Does it do this regularly? Maybe there was something unusual with your power, a surge or temporary outage.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try contacting ResMed directly and see if they have any ideas. Link to ResMed Customer Service
If you choose to send it back to the DME/vendor, make sure they loan you a machine to replace the S9.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Umm - one time I turned on 'reminders' only to walk into the bedroom to see the light on my 'S8' (older model than yours) flashing on and off like it was possessed! Unplugging it stopped it. I then went into the menus and turned 'reminders' off...

Just a possible thought?
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
The AutoSet is a computer, and like all computers / software, it has bugs. It sounds like it did get into a reboot loop for some reason (could be a bug, or could be related to power flickers / outages like drgrimes suggested). Were any of your clocks blinking in the morning to indicate a temporary power outage?

I've not personally had this problem with my AutoSet.

Something you can do is, check all 3 power connections to ensure they are tight:
1) 110V plug at the wall
2) connector going into the power supply
3) connector at the back of the S9 itself, coming from the power supply
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2014, 08:58 AM)drgrimes Wrote: Hmmm, that is not normal. If this problem occurs more than once, I would return it and get it checked out. That is not an acceptable problem. Does it do this regularly? Maybe there was something unusual with your power, a surge or temporary outage.

The second time in 9 month's operation. Power glitch is possible, but unlikely, as I'm off-grid and control the power.

Post Reply Post Reply
So, you're on Solar with converters to give you 60 Hz AC power.
I suspect your power. The ResMed power brick is a switcher and does not like discontinuities in the AC line.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2014, 11:32 AM)geoffleach Wrote: The second time in 9 month's operation. Power glitch is possible, but unlikely, as I'm off-grid and control the power.

I suggest using a large (heavy duty) surge suppressor.

Or, have you tried an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)? I use a standard large-ish (1300 Volt-Amp) UPS to protect against momentary power outages. I think it may have cost me about $200 or less at Costco.

I wouldn't try to use a really cheap one, though. Not sure if a poorly designed model might damage the CPAP machine.

The best UPS's are the Pure Sinewave models, but I don't use one because those are much more expensive than the commonly-available ones sold at department stores everywhere for a few hundred dollars.

Take care
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2014, 06:17 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(03-30-2014, 11:32 AM)geoffleach Wrote: The second time in 9 month's operation. Power glitch is possible, but unlikely, as I'm off-grid and control the power.

I suggest using a large (heavy duty) surge suppressor.

Or, have you tried an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)? I use a standard large-ish (1300 Volt-Amp) UPS to protect against momentary power outages. I think it may have cost me about $200 or less at Costco.

I wouldn't try to use a really cheap one, though. Not sure if a poorly designed model might damage the CPAP machine.

The best UPS's are the Pure Sinewave models, but I don't use one because those are much more expensive than the commonly-available ones sold at department stores everywhere for a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for the suggestion. In fact, I do have the equivalent hardware in place.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-30-2014, 06:48 PM)geoffleach Wrote: In fact, I do have the equivalent hardware in place.

Surge suppressor, or large-ish UPS? If UPS, did the UPS show any alarms or status messages that it had seen a power interruption?

I would suspect power issues as most likely, either a loose connection somewhere in your cords or house power wiring.

Any sign of looseness in any of the three power connections (at wall, at power supply on power inlet side, or at back of blower? Especially the power connector at the back of the unit, which can become intermittent if overused to disconnect power from the unit daily. I have learned to avoid excessively unplugging the cord at the back of the blower.

If the air intake were to have gotten blocked by a loose sheet of paper or plastic wrapper or whatever, leading to an overheating malfunction inside the blower unit, I think you would have noticed a hot/scorched smell, but you've not mentioned anything like that.

If the bed covers or something were to get on top of the power supply and caused it to have overheated, I'm not sure what would happen. Any chance that the power supply got covered up and overheated?

If there seems no chance that it was intermittent power or blocked air intake or overheated power supply, I would call ResMed customer service and ask that the unit be replaced as unreliable, and see what they say. You might be pleasantly surprised.

ResMed does not accept returns directly from end users. But they will accept a return from any DME you are working with (any DME -- does NOT need to be the original DME which bought the unit from ResMed or provided you the unit).

Good luck!

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 246 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] CPAP in Silent Mode and Mask Useful life meaning aconti 5 459 12-17-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: aconti
  Changed my mother over to APAP Mode: Phaleronic 2 382 12-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Resmed 11 autoset For Her mode help! HMG7450 10 678 11-15-2023, 10:06 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234
  Mode and Pressure settings missing; yesterday's shown. Captain Howdy 2 477 10-11-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: Captain Howdy
  Potential for iVaps mode to help with UARS mintjberry 9 1,229 09-02-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: StuartC

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.