Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed S9,h5i inspiratory whine
ResMed S9,h5i inspiratory whine
ResMed S9 APAP having loud audible high pitched whine on inspiration. The whine completely mimics the inspiratory flow pattern. It begins midway in the night, not on startup and increases in volume; when I restart the APAP, the volume slightly diminishes, but only temporary. Replaced the h5i humidifier but that made no difference. Regularly replace the filter, and new one made no difference. Will be calling the DME but this forum's experience is more valued.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed S9,h5i inspiratory whine
If you can, record the time it starts. The next day download your data and look at the pressure at that time period. Do you have the ramp feature turned on? If so, what is the starting pressure? How old is your S9? I'm sorry all I have is questions. I'm wondering if a fan bearing is going bad.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jrolli1509,
There is a thread here on the board that talks about the Resmed whistle or wine.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 09:31 AM)sgearhart Wrote: If you can, record the time it starts. The next day download your data and look at the pressure at that time period. Do you have the ramp feature turned on? If so, what is the starting pressure? How old is your S9? I'm sorry all I have is questions. I'm wondering if a fan bearing is going bad.

Good idea to correlate the pressure; my suspicion has been that it is in response to an apnea. The whine is almost a month old, so I haven't been able to pinpoint the starting time yet. Purchase was in 2011 so it's out of warranty. Start ramp pressure is 4. However, when getting up to bathroom, I leave the unit on/blowing high pressure because turning on/off loses any data under 4 hrs--wonder if that contributes to a fan bear awry. Wonder what is common practice when others interrupt CPAP to get out of bed?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your 4 hour limit is odd. My S9 records everything. . .even if I stop it after 2 minutes.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Humm, Just checked the online manual against settings and the Start/Stop has always been ON, but never worked, which might give more credibility to your fan bearing query. Thanks again for giving more questions and observations for the DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2015, 11:56 AM)jrolli1509 Wrote:
(01-02-2015, 09:31 AM)sgearhart Wrote: If you can, record the time it starts. The next day download your data and look at the pressure at that time period. Do you have the ramp feature turned on? If so, what is the starting pressure? How old is your S9? I'm sorry all I have is questions. I'm wondering if a fan bearing is going bad.

Good idea to correlate the pressure; my suspicion has been that it is in response to an apnea. The whine is almost a month old, so I haven't been able to pinpoint the starting time yet. Purchase was in 2011 so it's out of warranty. Start ramp pressure is 4. However, when getting up to bathroom, I leave the unit on/blowing high pressure because turning on/off loses any data under 4 hrs--wonder if that contributes to a fan bear awry. Wonder what is common practice when others interrupt CPAP to get out of bed?
Hi jrolli1509,
I usually turn my machine off when I get up to use the bathroom because it looks like a large leak from what I have read here.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My inspiratory time is higher than expiratory on Auto S Bipap Stubert 3 381 02-01-2024, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,641 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
Gross CPAP air is stuffy, and I want to whine about it. loofah 8 659 10-05-2023, 06:34 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
Question Inspiratory flow shapes ApneGuy 2 680 05-22-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: ApneGuy
Brick [Treatment] What can help improve inspiratory flow shape? rfburns 4 1,887 09-03-2021, 02:42 AM
Last Post: kappa
  long slow decay in inspiratory flow rate cathyf 3 719 06-24-2021, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Need help configuring my new Bipap to deal with inspiratory flow reductions sventory 8 1,635 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.