Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed S9 miscounts apneas
RE: ResMed S9 miscounts apneas
(04-15-2012, 05:23 PM)Well Rested Wrote: I feel fine when I wake up the morning. I also felt fine before I got the CPAP machine 25 days ago. The only reason I have the machine is because my fiancee recognized breathing pauses -- I got a sleep study and they told me I had central apnea, AHI=58.

You should discuss this with your doctor. Something is not right here, because the waveform clearly shows you're not breathing for a long enough time to meet the criteria for an apnea or at least a hypopnea.

The other thing you might want to do is get an oximeter. This will tell you if you have a significant drop in your oxygen level during these periods no breathing. The decreased oxygen level can cause continued arousals, or worse, it can lead to heart attack or stroke.

Does your fiancee notice that these periods of no breathing are followed by arousals?

The strange thing is that these events are not being scored by your software. You might want to try the free SleepyHead software and see if it reports the same thing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 05:23 PM)Well Rested Wrote: I feel fine when I wake up the morning. I also felt fine before I got the CPAP machine 25 days ago. The only reason I have the machine is because my fiancee recognized breathing pauses -- I got a sleep study and they told me I had central apnea, AHI=58.

I'm with Sleepster. Give SleepyHead a try (as pointed out, its free) at this location http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhead/. Something, as has already been noted, is obiously not working correctly. Two questions - did your installation of ResScan have any problems, or are you by any chance running Vista?
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply

The last two nights are the first nights that a significant amount of apneas were not counted. Previously, I would sporadically find one that was missed - about one apnea a week.

I don't think the problem is with ResScan, since the CPAP itself is supposed to have integral logic that detects the apneas. Regardless of whether I pick ResScan or Sleepyhead, the CPAP still isn't identifying them. I usually wake-up in the morning and see an AHI of 2 or 3 (on the machine's LCD display), but last two days were zero.

I think this has something to do with how the mask fits and how the leaks are detected. I'm going to try changing the mask.

I would like to try an oximeter, and also I will discuss with doctor if the problem continues.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-15-2012, 04:06 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I wonder if those are snores and not actual apnea events?

While it is rare to get 0 events, it is possible.

How do you feel? Do you feel rested and alert in the morning?

I recently had 13 days - straight - with 0 events. Freaked me out. I dug into the detailed data for each of those, and, well, looks like I had 0 events. There were a few flat lines on the flow graph that *would* have been if they'd passed the 10 second mark, but they were shy of it by about a second. Heh, I was actually glad to see an AHI of 0.22 on the 14th day...was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with my machine.

Since then, I've had a couple scattered AHI 0.0 nights, but nothing like that streak.

Post Reply Post Reply
PROBLEM SOLVED: I powered off and unplugged the power cord per Zonk's suggestion, and the issue has resolved itself. I might start doing this every day. I guess a CPAP is as quirky as any desktop computer. Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 07:01 AM)Well Rested Wrote: PROBLEM SOLVED: I powered off and unplugged the power cord per Zonk's suggestion, and the issue has resolved itself. I might start doing this every day. I guess a CPAP is as quirky as any desktop computer. Thanks for your help.

Can be, yes. I personally find it funny how few people forget, or don't realize, how many computers are in their lives, and that they all have the same basic traits and troubleshooting steps. Routers, smartphones, cpap machines, etc... they're all computers in some form or another. I do support for an internet service. 90% of all the problem calls I get end right after "have you rebooted your router? That worked? Bye." All of those devices are just like any other computer, they can hang and just need a reboot.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2012, 07:01 AM)Well Rested Wrote: PROBLEM SOLVED: I powered off and unplugged the power cord per Zonk's suggestion, and the issue has resolved itself. I might start doing this every day. I guess a CPAP is as quirky as any desktop computer. Thanks for your help.
Glad it worked for you. Once data didn't showed up on my S9 screen and by just unplugging and plugging did the trick.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 608 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 308 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 265 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,287 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  [split] Central and Complex apneas with CPAP JohnCondor 3 281 02-16-2024, 01:24 PM
  High Number of Central Apneas HungryPanda 5 456 02-13-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.