Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] ResMed hose ends deteriorating
ResMed hose ends deteriorating
Hello all,

I did a search for similar terms before posting but found nothing. I apologize if somehow this is something discussed often.

The hose in question is a ResMed ClimateLineAir, purchased in Fall 2016

In recent weeks I've noticed that the air hose separates from the plastic "quick-click" connector on my mask, sometimes several times during the night. Today, I finally decided to have a look and see if maybe there was something preventing a good friction connection. 

While examining the connection, I realized that the rubber portion of the hose has deteriorated and is turning into more of a clay-like consistency.  The deformed area you see in the photo happened when I scraped it with my fingernail.  For what it's worth, the rubber on the machine end is in good condition -- very rubbery but does not deform as the hose end. I've seen plastic/rubber products do this over time, but these items are usually 30-40 years old, not 5.
I clean this only with water and a dab of liquid hand soap (same with my mask) no solvents or detergents.

So, my questions:

Is this normal?
Would ResMed replace this as some sort of warranty? 
Can I replace just the end as the rest of the hose is still good and the heater still works?
Is this a result of something I may have done?  

Thank you all for your help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: ResMed hose ends deteriorating
That is a 4 year old part, they are recommended to be replaced every few months not years. There is a schedule that Medicare has for part replacement. If you are not on Medicare your insurer should have a schedule for replacement. Here is a link to replacement times but it is quicker than you probably need... https://www.sleepdr.com/the-sleep-blog/h...-supplies/
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Can't, and wouldn't, say it is 'normal'.  But it MIGHT be if one knew what caused it.  For example, is it at all possible that once, only once, it came into contact with a solvent or cream that ended up doing the material no good over a few hours?  I haven't seen anyone else post a photo like that complaining that their hose coupling looked like this after 3/4/5 years of responsible use (I'm not saying I think you have been careless, just that even responsible users of things just aren't aware at times of the effect something they do has on items they want to retain in full operating condition for many months or years).

I would bet substantial sums that RESMED would not be willing to compensate you for items that so many other users replace as a matter of course, and cyclically, about once a year or so.

I can't answer the third question as only the supplier has that capacity.

Finally, yes, very possibly, as I alluded to in my first paragraph above.  It would be so helpful to you, and to others, if you could somehow recall an instance where you may have inadvertently caused the degradation in the materials, but it will almost certainly remain a mystery...IF...it was caused by you at all.  It may have been a poorly mixed batch of chemicals whose real nature is now manifest, but only where the mixing was poor in the batch of materials.  That happens.  It's why instructions for mixing two-part epoxy adhesives are so particular about how thoroughly to both measure and to mix the two liquids, hardener and resin, before applying it as intended.  Failure to do this results in sticky, or brittle, or soft epoxy finishes that never cure well and which don't hold well.

Although, it will cost you nothing to ask if they'll accept a photo of the defect and maybe they'll ask you to send it in.  Who knows...they may even send you a good-will freebie replacement.
Post Reply Post Reply
The end of your hose is indeed, strange. I can't fathom what would cause that. I use the same hose, and it'll be two yrs. old in a couple of months. 

It's still in great serviceable shape. I'm on Medicare and I have a total of 5 more new hoses on hand. As others have implied, you're suppose to swap them out every few months or so. 

I should take their advice and do so myself, but I just can't yet bring myself to doing it. Maybe later this year.  Eat-popcorn
Post Reply Post Reply
By the way Amazon has a heated hose for Resmed for about $28. Not a real big ticket item ever 4 years
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-27-2020, 02:52 PM)staceyburke Wrote: That is a 4 year old part, they are recommended to be replaced every few months not years.  There is a schedule that Medicare has for part replacement.  If you are not on Medicare your insurer should have a schedule for replacement.  
(pasted)
By the way Amazon has a heated hose for Resmed for about $28. Not a real big ticket item ever 4 years

See, that's my problem. I'm paying out of pocket for this (and everything... sleep study, machine, etc.) 

However $28 isn't too bad. I guess since it's an electronic wired up thing I thought sure it would cost $100 or so.  Replacing it quarterly seems so wasteful, especially since mine lasted so long under what I would call abusive conditions (traveling a lot, packing and unpacking and flexing and bending) 

(07-27-2020, 02:58 PM)mesenteria Wrote: ....But it MIGHT be if one knew what caused it.  For example, is it at all possible that once, only once, it came into contact with a solvent or cream that ended up doing the material no good over a few hours? 
(snip)
It would be so helpful to you, and to others, if you could somehow recall an instance where you may have inadvertently caused the degradation in the materials, but it will almost certainly remain a mystery...IF...it was caused by you at all.  
Well, I went through all that in my head and I know for sure I've never experimentally put anything on the hose ends (like maybe a cleaner, etc) and if I did it to one side, I would have done it to the other too just because that's how I am.

Just for the hell of it, I sent a message off to ResMed to see if they'd help me out, but as was said here, I've gotten quite a few miles out of this one so I guess it's time to just buy a new one.

Thanks everyone!
Post Reply Post Reply
If the problem is just that the rubber is now a loose fit, try putting some rubber bands around it. That may tighten it up for a while.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is normal for this type of rubber. Warranty only covers manufacturing defects, which this, is not.
You cannot replace just the end, it's manufactured like this so replacing isn't easy or worthwhile.

The rubber is injected around the tube, it's called over molding. If you wanted to replace the rubber and over mold it, you'd need the following:

- buy a vacuum chamber with a pump to degas the liquid rubber ($100-$150)
- chose an appropriate rubber silicone ($20-$100)
- design and 3d print a mold($20-$60 and some work in Fusion360)
- possibly need a non toxic/bio compatible silicone glue to make the rubber stick to the plastic($50)
- accessories ($50)

If the rubber is indeed loose you can use hypoallergenic bandaid and wrap it around the outside then wrap it around the mask fitting that goes into the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ClimateLine Air hose we have has also been loose for the last year or so (now coming up to 4 years old). No other type of hose we have has exhibited this issue (have another hose that's over 9 years old which is still fine).

My solution was to put some shrink wrap over the mask coupling to make it slightly bigger. 20mm diameter shrink wrap can be stretched to fit over (so doesn't require any shrinking) and is a bit more grippy than the plastic on most mask coupling sleeves.
Post Reply Post Reply
A few turns of electrical tape on the mask coupler will have the same effect
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 230 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 581 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 640 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,556 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.