Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Reservoir ran dry during the night
Reservoir ran dry during the night
I have the Resmed S9 Elite machine. The reservoir ran dry during the night. When I went to refill it, the bottom was so hot I could not touch it. The inside of the machine was very hot too.

Does anyone know if I damaged the machine? I did refill it when it cooled down, but I was afraid to turn the machine back on.

Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Reservoir ran dry during the night
Hi sj80125, Welcome to the forum!

There should be thermal protection in your machine to prevent meltdowns. I now say "should" because another member just reported a meltdown of his machine. . . although his was from a different manufacturer. I'd say give it a try tonight, with a full reservoir, and see what happens.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've done that because I forgot to put water in.
No harm done in my case.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 11:30 AM)sj80125 Wrote: I have the Resmed S9 Elite machine. The reservoir ran dry during the night. When I went to refill it, the bottom was so hot I could not touch it. The inside of the machine was very hot too.

Does anyone know if I damaged the machine? I did refill it when it cooled down, but I was afraid to turn the machine back on.

Thanks!!
It should be alright, your machine is designed to work in these situations.(no one could afford meltdowns)
If you do not want the humidity just turn it off, one less thing to worry about until you need it.Okay
Nice feature to have in dry climates

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-13-2015, 11:30 AM)sj80125 Wrote: I have the Resmed S9 Elite machine. The reservoir ran dry during the night. When I went to refill it, the bottom was so hot I could not touch it. The inside of the machine was very hot too.

Thanks!!

The machines darn well better be designed to not self destruct when they run out of water, because it happens to everyone occasionally.

However, it is best to avoid it by making sure you fill the tank, or by turning the humidity level down if you can't make it through the night with a full tank of water. BTW, if you have an air leak, including leaking air out of your mouth, that will use more water. You need to fix air leaks if you have them.

The air tends to get stinky if you run out of water, but that's from cooking whatever crud is left in your water tank once you've evaporated all the water. Sort of like when you boil a pot dry on the stovetop. It's not (usually) the machine itself burning up.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am so happy that I found this forum.
Thanks for the replies. I will try it tonight and see what happens. I hope all is okay. These machines are so expensive!!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think that if a machine melted due to a dry humidity tank it would be the manufacturer's problem, not the patient's! I am sure the Consumer Product Safety Commission, among others, would get involved. Houses burning down due to melting xPAP machines is not a good thing.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not a real big deal; I've run the tank dry on several occasions due to failure to check the water level before going to bed. Your nose, nasal, and sinus passages will suffer more than the machine from lack of water! Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sj80125,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Your machine should be ok, just make sure you have plenty of water in your humidifier chamber tonight.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the "don't worrys." It happened to me when I stayed overnight in someone else's home with very low humidity. The reservoir ran dry and in the morning I noticed the mask was warm and the reservoir, very warm. I asked ResMed about it and they said that there is thermal protection that will prevent damage to the unit. In any event, it has been working fine ever since.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,814 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 452 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Airsense 10 humidifer reservoir runs dry after 4 hours jwtm 18 1,200 12-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Replacing AirSense reservoir seal/ gaskets- anyone? S.L. Ping Beauty 5 1,280 01-21-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: S.L. Ping Beauty
  Larger reservoir for Air Sense 10 Autoset RonKMiller 32 22,522 03-27-2022, 01:04 PM
Last Post: kalvinjuice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.